Thoughts on the Rebuild? PART 3

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In the playoffs he definitely played forward. I remember the absolute freight train he was out there.
Ok, that aligns with my memory, in the reg season he could have been used in both roles, my recollection is far more hazy for the reg season...

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Stay the course and win now are mostly the same thing. Staying the course brought us here and we're very close to win now.
Yep.

The way I look at it is that we need to ignore any pressure added by the Debrincat signing. He is a nice bonus but he, and Giroux, were not going to accelerate our window to the point where we have a very legitimate chance at a cup right now.

We stay the course. The reinforcements we need are not entirely obvious yet (D, in net, or dare I say nothing?) and if we preserve some capital for an all in season as more development unfolds we will be in a much better position to tool perfectly for a run of high Stanley cup odds before the departures of Chabot, Brady and Bath become a pressing issue.

If a good deal is out there, yeah make it. But its no time to paint ourselves into a cap corner before we can read the tea leaves clearly.

There was a common topic that Sue from Sex with Sue would talk about that made me squirm as a teenager. Started with premature and ended with ejaculation. We've been juvenile for long enough, lets just skip the teenaged boy phase.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yep.

The way I look at it is that we need to ignore any pressure added by the Debrincat signing. He is a nice bonus but he, and Giroux, were not going to accelerate our window to the point where we have a very legitimate chance at a cup right now.

We stay the course. The reinforcements we need are not entirely obvious yet (D, in net, or dare I say nothing?) and if we preserve some capital for an all in season as more development unfolds we will be in a much better position to tool perfectly for a run of high Stanley cup odds before the departures of Chabot, Brady and Bath become a pressing issue.

If a good deal is out there, yeah make it. But its no time to paint ourselves into a cap corner before we can read the tea leaves clearly.

There was a common topic that Sue from Sex with Sue would talk about that made me squirm as a teenager. Started with premature and ended with ejaculation. We've been juvenile for long enough, lets just skip the teenaged boy phase.
It's a good point. You roll with what you have and you carefully assess any weaknesses.

You can continue talks with arizona all year really or any other team for d if need be.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man, this rebuild is looking like quite the success at this point. I’m glad Dorion and company stuck to their guns through this process so we could get a picture of the vision from start to finish (coming soon!).

Those of us who embraced the big picture tear down, and were willing to be patient while we accrued assets, and we’re patient developing those assets, are definitely starting to ride some highs now.

We’ll need to translate that core, and our new found quality additions who are here because of said core, into regular season success and hopefully playoffs.

It’s nice to still see most of the positive faces who stuck though the rebuild are still here. A ways to go, but man does this team look inspired.

Go Sens!

Reactions: JD1 and PlayersLtd

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Man, this rebuild is looking like quite the success at this point. I’m glad Dorion and company stuck to their guns through this process so we could get a picture of the vision from start to finish (coming soon!).

Those of us who embraced the big picture tear down, and were willing to be patient while we accrued assets, and we’re patient developing those assets, are definitely starting to ride some highs now.

We’ll need to translate that core, and our new found quality additions who are here because of said core, into regular season success and hopefully playoffs.

It’s nice to still see most of the positive faces who stuck though the rebuild are still here. A ways to go, but man does this team look inspired.

Go Sens!
Yessir!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Hawks first Cup was with a 20 yr old Kane, and 21 yr old Toews each going into their third season, and a 26 yearly old Keith, Hjalmarsson was 22 going into his first full year and Seabrook was 24. They did have some key vets though in Campbell, Hossa and Sharp.
Exactly. And we've got a couple of mid 20s D men and our wily vet in Giroux. Who knows.

I think last year's slow start was a result of circumstances and pacing at 85 is far more reflective of what we were. Not a huge jump from 85 to the playoffs

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was talking about a "rebuild cycle" only. You seem to be taking this in a different direction than what I was talking about (maybe being defensive for some unknown reason?). No matter, it's not that important I suppose to engage in a prolonged discussion.
You mentioned we are at that next stage and I agree with that. From there, I think the NHL is unpredictable. Teams can hit that next stage and win instantly and teams can hit that next stage and never win a playoff series. I think we have a team with a high compete level which bodes well for playoff hockey

Reactions: Alex1234

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yep.

Well I'll congratulate you on being the first in HF Sens history to work a sex with sue analogy into a post.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yep.

I agree - Cat is best thought of as a perfect developmental piece for Jimmy as he enters his third year. His acquisition should ensure Jimmy finally has the type of line mates he needs to elevate his game.

Who knows how long Cat sticks around, but even if it’s one year and his value is recycled it’s worth the investment.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
You mentioned we are at that next stage and I agree with that. From there, I think the NHL is unpredictable. Teams can hit that next stage and win instantly and teams can hit that next stage and never win a playoff series. I think we have a team with a high compete level which bodes well for playoff hockey
OK. Thanks for the clarification. I was a little confused with your reply as I was just talking about the rebuild cycle that teams go through because of the cap. I agree that of course some teams are more successful than others, and that the amount of time that it could take can vary. It could be quick, or it could take some time (or success never happens). We seem to be on the right track. Let's hope we can get there quickly. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD1

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Well I can tell you that I bought one of those $600 kitty packages which is 600 more than I've spent in the last 5 years, so business must be booming.

I think I've turned down free tickets in the last 5 years actually.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For what it's worth, when LeBlanc is refering to the highest STH numbers we've had in years, it probably means since the 2017-18 season when we were reportedly at 8000 full season ticket or equivalents. My guess would be were trending between 6-8k.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The RedBlacks are really bad to watch so I assume some of those STH have moved back to the Sens now with the owner gone. There was a huge change when the RedBlacks first came on the scene & it continued when they won the Grey Cup but the last few yrs have been hard to watch & it doesn't look like it's going to improve anytime soon. Therefore, the Sens should get a little boost from that.

Reactions: guyzeur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
For what it's worth, when LeBlanc is refering to the highest STH numbers we've had in years, it probably means since the 2017-18 season when we were reportedly at 8000 full season ticket or equivalents. My guess would be were trending between 6-8k.

Where do you think 6-8K would rank us in the league ?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The RedBlacks are really bad to watch so I assume some of those STH have moved back to the Sens now with the owner gone. There was a huge change when the RedBlacks first came on the scene & it continued when they won the Grey Cup but the last few yrs have been hard to watch & it doesn't look like it's going to improve anytime soon. Therefore, the Sens should get a little boost from that.
Yeah. This doesnt get talked about enough.

We had the perfect storm. Bad teams and off-ice drama at the exact time a shiny new football team arrived and started winning the grey cup in their fancy new stadium.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
This year is a big year for the team...and its up to them to deliver a winning season...fans also need to have reasonable expectations as this is still one of the youngest teams in the league; slowly maturing tho. Can't blame Melnyk anymore, cant blame the GM as he pretty much did almost everything that needed to be done. I feel like people are finally getting excited about the team as well; something that has been lacking for the past few years. But yeah, this year the responsibility falls on the players. Should be a fun year. The goal should be to make the playoffs and if that happens than the main focus should be to just gain valuable experience going forward. The teams are so balanced now especially in the playoffs literally any team could get on a roll and go all the way just like any very good team can catch one or two bad breaks and be bounced.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This year is a big year for the team...and its up to them to deliver a winning season...fans also need to have reasonable expectations as this is still one of the youngest teams in the league; slowly maturing tho. Can't blame Melnyk anymore, cant blame the GM as he pretty much did almost everything that needed to be done. I feel like people are finally getting excited about the team as well; something that has been lacking for the past few years. But yeah, this year the responsibility falls on the players. Should be a fun year. The goal should be to make the playoffs and if that happens than the main focus should be to just gain valuable experience going forward. The teams are so balanced now especially in the playoffs literally any team could get on a roll and go all the way just like any very good team can catch one or two bad breaks and be bounced.

This is what is so interesting about it

We've got a veteran goalie
We've got the aging superstar
We've got high end offensive talent entering their prime
We've got the #1D in his prime

Anything can happen

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I was talking to some Ottawa media guys and ex-Sens. All 4 think DJ gets fired at some point during the season.

• Wow
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens remind me of the Jays, a good young team with a number of very good players filling in a number of positions including role positions. Now they will need to learn how to win those tough close games & play consistently in every period & every game. I expect they will get better every yr for the next few yrs as more good young players get promoted & the older guys age out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad