Thoughts on the Rebuild? PART 3

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Seems like a good time to resurrect this one. Links to previous: Part 1 , Part 2

The trade deadline is gone, and most of the best prospects are now graduating or will be soon. I think the rebuild is entering a new phase and now it's just seeing what we've actually got at the NHL level. The remainder of the season should be interesting, particularly if we add JBD and Pinto in meaningful roles.

How are people feeling about the roster going forward? Is this a future competitor? Do we try to add pieces via trade or UFA, or just ride the youth and hope it all works out?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It’s gone well IMO. If we added only a few small pieces, I think we would still be a playoff team in a few years when most prospects are ready and have experience.

We need one more superstar up front to truly be a contender (not exactly an easy piece to acquire) and a legit top four shutdown D that has a bit of a physical presence. Outside of that, I think within team/organization we have a good mix of players to build a very deep team.

Not super confident in Murray, but I feel like we have enough goalies that one of them works out to be a legit #1 - but that’s another area to keep an eye on.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Going well. I felt for this season to be a success we needed some answers and , by and large, we got a bunch of answer. Ottawa has to be leery of locking up anyone who isn't part of the core, and while it was frustrating for many when Ottawa brought in sagging veterans on expiring contracts, it was a necessary move to ensure that the young guys were given rope. Turns out they all seized the rope and the veterans may have been redundant (but you have to prepare for it). Ottawa got some bonus answers on their goaltending depth, which is good. Defensively, the picture has become clear, and also that they will probably try and find a Gudbranson/Coburn/Reilly placeholder for next year to spell time for Sanderson.

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Stutzle Pinto Dadonov
Paul White Brown
Formenton Tierney Watson

Dzingel Bishop Amadio

Chabot JBD
Brann Zub
Mete Zaitsev Brown (hopefully an RFA or expiring RFA to UFA)

Murray
Daccord
Gustavsson

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have been saying, this team is a number 1 centre away from being able to play with the big boys within the next few years. The cubs are growing into lions, even if they are raised by monkeys.

5e3c27dc15b5e377ce186b44.jpg

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The insulation was a disaster but the young kids are for real. College kids had stellar year. Prospects elsewhere thriving(Sokolov, Jarvie, Lodin, Crook, Greig etc)

Norris was biggest revelation and most exciting to keep track of. We knew we had great and possibly elite future depth on the wings, but Norris’ emergence has given us hopes for at least one solid top 6 C in the fold already.

Adding another top piece will do this team very well. All we are missing is a top C. If Beniers or Stutzle can be that then watch out.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The rebuild is going well and the prospect pipeline is nice. Now comes the hard part, adding NHL talent via trade or FA. This offseason requires a top 4 LD with either 2-3 years term to transition to Sanderson and an RD for 1 year to transition to JBD.

We need a top 9 centre to upgrade Tierney.

That’s the checklist for this offseason.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Im perfectly happy with the direction we're going. I wouldn't mind a top 3 pick next year to secure one of the great centres that should be available and also because I believe that would spell the end of Dorions tenure with the Sens. I dont think he's going to be the guy to get us to the cup and so after another poor season next year I hope the team moves on.

After next year this team needs someone who has a strong background in cap management and pro player evaluation because we are going to need both badly in the coming years. Starting in the 2023-24 season we are basically going to need to sign 2-3 players to big contracts every year for 2 or 3 years straight and bringing someone in to manage that is going to be key.

Reactions: PlayOn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They've put themselves in a good position and I'm happy about the shedding yesterday.

At some point though, like other successful rebuilding teams, they're going to have to bring in some mature help from outside and that's where the jury is still out on Dorion to identify the right ones and Melnyk to pay them. Fingers crossed.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What has pleased me lately is the progression of some of our bottom six guys.

Connor Brown (borderline top six), Paul and Formenton make us very difficult to play against. I’m hoping for more of the same from Pinto and I think White can be in this group as well.

There’s a tendency to focus on the top six but I think we will end up with a fairly balanced group in the end that may be a bit cheaper and more flexible.

The cost is the lack of high end skill on the PP.

On the D side, very few teams in the league appear to have that “perfect mix”, but hopefully we can get a good combination of guys who can keep the puck moving and guys who can box out the front of the net.

Sanderson is becoming a critically important piece for the evolution of this team.

Hopefully it has been proven that younger and better players trump older and less skilled guys with experience.

Formenton has provided the kind of PK pressure we haven’t seen all year aside from the occasional Paul shift. Now I’m actually looking forward to being SH at times because them and Brown can create some serious havoc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raze The Stray

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think a fair amount hinges on the transition of Stutzle to center. If he doesn't, I'd like to see another center picked up (high) in the draft. Probably want to do that anyhow as having an abundance/excess good, young centers isn't really a problem at all.

I'd also think we need another decent stopgap RD (Chabot's partner) so that our prospect defenders are not rushed and have too much pressure to perform at a high level right off the bat.

Otherwise, things are going pretty well overall. We played pretty well last night despite not having that "insulation" with vets (especially vet defenders). So that was a good sign, but of course, it was just one game.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
For me, I want to see:

Colin White traded.
JBD and Pinto start in Belleville.
We bring in a stop-gap RD next season.
We make a play for a center like RNH, Backlund, Bozak, etc.
We draft a defenceman with our top pick.

Reactions: Yak

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
On the ice there have been some positives for sure, however, nothing off the ice has changed, we still only have 2 guys that make all the major decisions (PD & EM) and this is a HUGE red flag for the rebuild going forward. Scouting staff is still bare bones and it seems like our only pro scout is the coach.

Melnyk asking to be praised when this team is still in the bottom 3 in the league is also concerning. Not sure why he hasn't learned his lesson, but less EM in the news, the better for everyone, but his ego seems to keep him wanting his face out there.

I, personally, am also concerned about DJ Smith moving forward as the coach of this team.

Reactions: Emrasie and Yak

Canadianhero

Jan 16, 2021
For me, I want to see:

Colin White traded.
White is way better than Tierney. Would rather Tierney be traded.

Reactions: NyQuil

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
For me, I want to see:
Colin White traded.

I respect your opinion, want to post mine in your style because mine is polar opposite of yours, lol.

Colin White is developed into an elite 3C. Keep working those faceoffs CW.
JBD and Pinto start in Ottawa.
No more stop-gap solution, Dorion is a perennial loser of these types of trades/signings. Promote youth (see above).
We make a play for LEGIT first line centres. Not the ones you mentioned, but a level higher. And they are so tough to get via trades or signings. This leads to the final point..
We draft a centre with our top pick. Matthew Beniers baby!

Reactions: Emrasie and Yak

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
For me, I want to see:

Colin White traded.

He is a better player than what he has shown recently. We won't get a fair value from trading him. I think we should let his contract play out unless it gets in the way of signing other core players in a couple of years.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I respect your opinion, want to post mine in your style because mine is polar opposite of yours, lol.

Colin White is developed into an elite 3C. Keep working those faceoffs CW.
JBD and Pinto start in Ottawa.
No more stop-gap solution, Dorion is a perennial loser of these types of trades/signings. Promote youth (see above).
We make a play for LEGIT first line centres. Not the ones you mentioned, but a level higher. And they are so tough to get via trades or signings. This leads to the final point..
We draft a centre with our top pick. Matthew Beniers baby!
Agree with all of this, especially the second point. PLAY THE KIDS!

Reactions: armani

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
White is way better than Tierney. Would rather Tierney be traded.

Both Tierney and White played decently last game, but there was one particular play involving White where he entered the zone, faced opposition from two guys, so he turned and cut across the zone, taking both guys with him, before passing to the outside winger who then sent it in front of the crease for a tip by the other winger.

It was a near "tic-tac-toe play" (as described by the announcer) that would have resulted in a gorgeous goal but what was great about it was White's decision not to simply drive forward but use the space available to buy himself and his linemates room to maneuver.

Hopefully someone else remembers this so I don't sound like a crazy person.

Again, it sort of reminds me that he can make plays happen when he plays with confidence. He'd had that kind of confidence going right as he was injured IIRC which was a pretty cruel blow.

In summary, I still think he has more potential than Tierney, and while he's not earning his contract right now, I think his style of play fits in with the kind of team we are building.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t see any room up front for placeholders next season, and we won’t need a taxis squad so it won’t be necessary to have extra pro bodies. Sokolov will get some games as well.

On the back end we’ll need someone at the very least to be a 7, but if JBD and Chabot can click, we’re going to likely have a stable top 4 with Zub and Bran, then Z and Mete can round out the group until Sanderson hits the ice the following season.

Obviously Bran, Mete, and JBD have to show that they can stick, so the remainder of the season is important. I’ll agree with Aragorn that we need some size on the back end, even a 7th guy, but Kleven will hopefully be our Brady on the back end in a few years.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He is a better player than what he has shown recently. We won't get a fair value from trading him. I think we should let his contract play out unless it gets in the way of signing other core players in a couple of years.
To me White is internally replaceable, even if he settles in to a reasonable ceiling. I'd rather cut bait on that risky contract and free up the cash. If it wasn't for his contract, I'd want him here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
To me White is internally replaceable, even if he hits a reasonable ceiling. I'd rather cut bait on that contract and free up the cash.

Why not just let him play out the deal until someone actually plays well enough to replace him. He’s loved by his teammates, has worked his ass off to make the team and find his game again, and is an effective player for us. He can still centre a 4th line with Watson and Dzingle before needing to be traded.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don’t see any room up front for placeholders next season, and we won’t need a taxis squad so it won’t be necessary to have extra pro bodies. Sokolov will get some games as well.

On the back end we’ll need someone at the very least to be a 7, but if JBD and Chabot can click, we’re going to likely have a stable top 4 with Zub and Bran, then Z and Mete can round out the group until Sanderson hits the ice the following season.

Obviously Bran, Mete, and JBD have to show that they can stick, so the remainder of the season is important. I’ll agree with Aragorn that we need some size on the back end, even a 7th guy, but Kleven will hopefully be our Brady on the back end in a few years.
1) DJ loves Zaitsev, no way he will be a 5/6 dman as long as DJ is the coach
2) Mete and Zub are RFAs, we have seen a very recent example of the Ottawa Senators not qualifying a RFA that they should have.
3) DJ isn't going to just throw JBD to the wolves as Chabot's partner. That may not even happen until half way through next season. He should, but he probably wont.

I am very excited about the future on D with Sanderson, Chabot, JBD, Thompson, etc. But I am also very concerned because none of them cross-check nearly enough for DJ, too many puck movers for old school thinkers like Smith.

Reactions: Emrasie

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Why not just let him play out the deal until someone actually plays well enough to replace him. He’s loved by his teammates, has worked his ass off to make the team and find his game again, and is an effective player for us. He can still centre a 4th line with Watson and Dzingle before needing to be traded.
4 months ago everyone had him pegged as a buyout candidate. I think his ceiling is him living up to his cap hit, and we're going to have other guys who can replace him.

Nobody knows where his game will go, but I don't want a single bad deal on the books while our window is open. So I would take a shot of moving him. Even if it is a sell low situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad