Thoughts on TBL drawing Pittsburgh in the first round?

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Be Tampa's worst nightmare to draw Pittsburgh in the first round. With all of that playoff savvy and grit the Penquins have , and they still have the best player in the world.....What are the Pens chances of pulling an upset? Or also, Montreal. If they draw the Habs and face a hot Carey Price?
Best player in the world is Kucherov.

Crosby had his time in the sun, now it's time for him to sit back and relax.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I expect TB to roll whoever they play in round 1. It is likely to be MTL, CAR, or CBJ, maybe Philly. I don't see them getting much push back until the finals, they are a once in a few decades type of team.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I expect TB to roll whoever they play in round 1. It is likely to be MTL, CAR, or CBJ, maybe Philly. I don't see them getting much push back until the finals, they are a once in a few decades type of team.
Capitals will push. Hope we get a round 2 this year. I don't think the East is going to be a clear sweep.

Teams will be hungry to break the "unstoppable" Lightning.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Last time the Pens played a Presidents Trophy winner in round 1 even with Crosby/Malkin/LeTang, didn't work out so well against the Rangers.

So if we get PIT/TB, it's not a lock for the Penguins.

Sometimes, the experienced team doesn't always win.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s should be a tradition that the pens and caps always have to face each other in the first round just like the leafs and bruins should. Would be a tough task and would be a good series.

That's what the second round is for.

See, I'm not sure I agree at all. This was the situation they had last year - faced a completely overmatched New Jersey team in the first round and beat them in five, moved on to face the Bruins, and...well, closely matched series but the Lightning won it in five as well. So I don't think that part really holds too much water. I would much rather hope to win in five again, see the B's/Leafs go 7, and take my chances from there.

Can't argue with that. I have seen teams get shocked while looking underbaked, but that's definitely as good as evidence as any that it doesn't always happen. And you're definitely right to want to wrap it up early; I know I want 4-5 difficult games but with wins for the Pens 1st round. (Well, every round).

Which also means not playing you guys.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I really hate these probablity charts

How is Tor vs Boston 100%? Montreal is 8 points back of Tor with games to go. Even Boston could still top Tampa theoretically.

Im not saying its going to happen but that means its not 100%. More like 99%

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Last time the Pens played a Presidents Trophy winner in round 1 even with Crosby/Malkin/LeTang, didn't work out so well against the Rangers.

Maybe (probably) because they were missing half of their regulars on defense.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Pittsburgh would probably less than desirable, though I'm not sure if I'd want to face a team that is 23-7-2 since New year's either (Carolina).

Tampa would probably prefer Montreal or Columbus, but at the end of the day you gotta beat the best to win the cup, so they may not care all that much.

Could be arguably the toughest quest to get to the finals for a top seed.

Round 1: Pittsburgh?
Round 2: Boston/Toronto
Round 3: Washington?

That would be pretty brutal... would theoretically have to beat 3 legitimate cup contenders just to play for the cup.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I personally dont think Tampa is or should be scared of anyone.

Eastern conference first round is going to be a gong show. Such a packed conference.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
We should probably trade him. He'll probably never score another playoff point ever. Sigh...smh...
Definitely. If an article says something, then how can we argue otherwise? We have a playoff lemon on our team.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Pittsburgh would probably less than desirable, though I'm not sure if I'd want to face a team that is 23-7-2 since New year's either (Carolina).

Tampa would probably prefer Montreal or Columbus, but at the end of the day you gotta beat the best to win the cup, so they may not care all that much.

Could be arguably the toughest quest to get to the finals for a top seed.

Round 1: Pittsburgh?
Round 2: Boston/Toronto
Round 3: Washington?

That would be pretty brutal... would theoretically have to beat 3 legitimate cup contenders just to play for the cup.

67703923.jpg

Reactions: Roman Fell

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I really hate these probablity charts

How is Tor vs Boston 100%? Montreal is 8 points back of Tor with games to go. Even Boston could still top Tampa theoretically.

Im not saying its going to happen but that means its not 100%. More like 99%

Sometimes a percentage that high causes people to think its a done deal. I mean the realistic possibility that Boston catches TB for the division conference is extremely low. Montreal catching Tor I guess is possible. I still think its too low to even really give it a chance.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The first round series in the East are going to be ridiculous no matter what happens.

Tampa v Pittsburgh is possible.
Washington Pittsburgh is also possible.
Boston Toronto is likely.
Tampa/Washington vs Columbus could also be a good series. If Philly snags a spot (yes I know it's unlikely) they could play Pittsburgh or Washington.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

Yes, but the Penguins had six AHL defensmen that series. No joke, all six. Every one of our starting D-men was injured.

Pens still played them well and could have won the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad