Thoughts on TBL drawing Pittsburgh in the first round?

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
It'll be a fluke win regardless. Not to mention unfair advantages.

#TaxesAndSunshine
Maybe then they'll earn the title "Golden State Warriors of NHL".

IMO we gotta win at least one cup and sign an all-star caliber player from a different team to a one year discount contract (under 7M) before that comparison can be realized.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
They’ll have to go through good teams at some point no matter what.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They're looking good right now. I think it would take some kind of epic collapse or injuries for them to be the 8th seed or miss the playoffs.
That's what I meant though, if they finish 8th, they clearly aren't that good so why would it be an issue? I didn't intend to say they aren't a good team at the present moment, but if they finished 8th..

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That's what I meant though, if they finish 8th, they clearly aren't that good so why would it be an issue? I didn't intend to say they aren't a good team at the present moment, but if they finished 8th..

If they finished 8th then probably some things went wrong. Although I probably would still be a little worried about them since they are the Pens. I wouldnt be able to bet against them even if they are playing the top seed.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If they finished 8th then probably some things went wrong. Although I probably would still be a little worried about them since they are the Pens. I wouldnt be able to bet against them even if they are playing the top seed.
If I was a fan of Tampa, I wouldn't be too worried about that matchup. Especially of Letang is out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Didn't LA win one of their Cups as the 8th seed? Nashville made the Cup finals as the 8th seed, too, no?

Talented teams who finish 8th can be explained away by either having a sub-par regular season or a bunch of injuries. Doesn't mean that just because a team finishes 8th they should be a cake walk.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If I was a fan of Tampa, I wouldn't be too worried about that matchup. Especially of Letang is out.

I just feel like they could be tough. You can never count out Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel. They did win a cup without Letang too. Dont think you find too many Lightning fans that wouldnt be at least a little worried about that match up. They are one of the few teams that can match their top talent.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Didn't LA win one of their Cups as the 8th seed? Nashville made the Cup finals as the 8th seed, too, no?

Talented teams who finish 8th can be explained away by either having a sub-par regular season or a bunch of injuries. Doesn't mean that just because a team finishes 8th they should be a cake walk.

Sometimes you have a struggling 8th seed who got there because they went on a strong run after acquiring a star player to fill a hole in their lineup.

2011-2012 Kings after Carter trade: 69% points 56.72% 5v5 GF

2018-2019 Penguins after Gudbranson trade: 81% points 63.64% 5v5 GF%

Such teams should not be taken lightly.

Reactions: Amen evil king

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Didn't say they would be a cake walk. But Tampa is not a smoke and mirrors team like Chicago was when they lost to NSH in the 1st round a few years ago. LA caught fire after the trade deadline and were one of the best possession teams in the league.

But Tampa is a juggernaut, and if PIT were to finish 8th, I wouldn't be too worried in that case because PIT wouldn't have caught fire like LA did. Obviously anything is possible.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Didn't say they would be a cake walk. But Tampa is not a smoke and mirrors team like Chicago was when they lost to NSH in the 1st round a few years ago. LA caught fire after the trade deadline and were one of the best possession teams in the league.

But Tampa is a juggernaut, and if PIT were to finish 8th, I wouldn't be too worried in that case because PIT wouldn't have caught fire like LA did. Obviously anything is possible.

But the OP, to me, is about Tampa being worried about playing the Pens compared to the other potential match-ups. I don't think anyone is saying Tampa will be the underdog or anything, but rather if there's one team among the potential first round matches for the Lightning they probably wouldn't want, the Pens likely rank the highest (the others being Columbus, Montreal, Carolina, or possibly the Isles).

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Capitals will push. Hope we get a round 2 this year. I don't think the East is going to be a clear sweep.

Teams will be hungry to break the "unstoppable" Lightning.

Caps are the one team who don't fear Tampa, having beaten a similarly powerful Lightning team last year.
Caps have a big psychological edge there. Everyone else is going to play Tampa scared.

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
Caps are the one team who don't fear Tampa, having beaten a similarly powerful Lightning team last year.
Caps have a big psychological edge there. Everyone else is going to play Tampa scared.
Definitely looking forward to the 3 games vs Tampa coming up they will be a good measuring stick for where we are at entering the playoffs.

Exactly what happened to the Caps the other night against the Pens is exactly why I hope they get Tampa and the Atlantic. We dominated them for all but 2 minutes and lost the game. They won’t be getting the 8 seed though anymore they will get a top 3 seed in the metro.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins won again tonight in a 5-0 bloodbath against the Sabres, so it's looking less and less likely that the TBL-Pens series happens. The Penguins only have about a 5% chance at finishing in the 2nd WC spot at this point, they're like 4x as likely to win the Metro as they are to finish in the 2nd WC spot.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens solid win tonight. Pens won't see Tampa unless they meet in the eastern finals. But if that is the case, how anyone suggests the Pens with Sid , Geno, Letang and Murray with two cup wins is not going to beat a team that hasn't won a cup and isn't proven doesn't grasp playoff hockey. If Pens are healthy, they are the team to beat.

DMXATF23

Mar 9, 2004
St. Petersburg, FL
Pens solid win tonight. Pens won't see Tampa unless they meet in the eastern finals. But if that is the case, how anyone suggests the Pens with Sid , Geno, Letang and Murray with two cup wins is not going to beat a team that hasn't won a cup and isn't proven doesn't grasp playoff hockey. If Pens are healthy, they are the team to beat.
How is a team with a Stanley Cup final and 2 Game 7 losses in the Conference Finals in 3 of the last 4 playoffs not proven nor grasp playoff hockey?

Denial isn’t a river in Africa

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
How is a team with a Stanley Cup final and 2 Game 7 losses in the Conference Finals in 3 of the last 4 playoffs not proven nor grasp playoff hockey?

Denial isn’t a river in Africa
Pens fan here. If I had to bet significant bucks on which team wins the East, I would go with Tampa. But...

Pretty sure the President's winners have a poor record re winning the Cup.

Re the Pens-- they are getting hot at the right time. And Letang snd Rust will be back before playoffs.

Forget talent etc. IMO winning the Cup is a learned skill. In other words, a team that has done it before has an advantage in the hot and crazy cauldron of the playoffs. Were a a Tampa fan, I'd be hoping for the Islanders in the Eastern playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad