Thoughts on TBL drawing Pittsburgh in the first round?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The first round series in the East are going to be ridiculous no matter what happens.

Tampa v Pittsburgh is possible.
Washington Pittsburgh is also possible.
Boston Toronto is likely.
Tampa/Washington vs Columbus could also be a good series. If Philly snags a spot (yes I know it's unlikely) they could play Pittsburgh or Washington.

Sadly, I could very easily see the Caps playoffs being exactly the same matchups as last year - CBJ, then Pitt, then TB. Hoping for same results of course, but that scenario seems very possible here.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Yes, but the Penguins had six AHL defensmen that series. No joke, all six. Every one of our starting D-men was injured.

Pens still played them well and could have won the series.
Pens lost that in 5, honestly don't think they could have won considering the circumstances. That was the series that made JR realize the pens needed speed so it worked out in the end. Not to mention all the injuries on D led to the emergence of Dumoulin.

Reactions: Madifer

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sadly, I could very easily see the Caps playoffs being exactly the same matchups as last year - CBJ, then Pitt, then TB. Hoping for same results of course, but that scenario seems very possible here.

Its tough to repeat. I think its even tougher to repeat against the same teams you beat last year.

LawManN

May 7, 2015
Tampa, FL
Shaking my head as I perused this thread. OTHER teams should be wary of playing the Lightning in the first round, not the other way around.
If the (pretty much agreed to) best team in the NHL is playing, why do many here think they will auto-lose to the Penguins? Or the Bruins?
Makes no damn sense.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa stats in 1st and 2nd rounds with Cooper (head coach) in chronological order (wins - losses):
0 - 4
4 - 3
4 - 2
4 - 1
4 - 1
4 - 1
4 - 1

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Shaking my head as I perused this thread. OTHER teams should be wary of playing the Lightning in the first round, not the other way around.
If the (pretty much agreed to) best team in the NHL is playing, why do many here think they will auto-lose to the Penguins? Or the Bruins?
Makes no damn sense.

I get the Penguins. Teams with a solid history of success don't need a big regular season to go nuts in the playoffs.

Boston I don't really get because I don't see a whole lot of improvement over what they were last year. They're still pretty top-heavy, and TB has so many guys who can shut down one or two lines right now, that I don't see them as a bigger threat than last year. I think TB is the more physical team, the faster team, and by far the deeper team. I think people are reading waaaaayyyy too much into the 4-1 drubbing Boston gave us when we had so accepted the game as a scheduled loss that we played Louis Domingue against Boston and Vasy against the Rangers. That's not to say Boston didn't play a great game--they did. But it's a bit of a stretch to take that as an omen for the future, when TB is a better version of the team who shut them down last year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Imo if Pitt and Washington meet in round 2 - Pittsburgh should be the favorite.

Assuming of course both team looks similarly strong in round 1. If Pitt is struggling all over the place and half their team is sucking/injured - that changes things. But if both teams are looking good going into round 2 - I don't care that Caps won last year, I think the fact that Pitt won 2/3 still weighs for more.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Yes, but the Penguins had six AHL defensmen that series. No joke, all six. Every one of our starting D-men was injured.

Didn't we also have Lovejoy? I think he was on the ice for like 90% of the goals against. He was our deadline pickup that year....lol.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Imo if Pitt and Washington meet in round 2 - Pittsburgh should be the favorite.

Assuming of course both team looks similarly strong in round 1. If Pitt is struggling all over the place and half their team is sucking/injured - that changes things. But if both teams are looking good going into round 2 - I don't care that Caps won last year, I think the fact that Pitt won 2/3 still weighs for more.

Pitt may be the favorite, but I'd argue that the "underdog" has won the last 4 times these teams met.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

You're exaggerating greatly. They had 2: Dumolin and Chorney. Cole, Scuderi, Martin and Lovejoy, all NHL regulars, played that whole series.

An awful D, no doubt. But there were 2 AHLers. Not 6.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Are you a Bruins or Leafs fan or something?
Why, are they especially wary of or hateful toward Pitt?

Also don't see a Bs/Leafs - Pitt 2nd round series as likely unless they finish wc2 - and I think they do better than that.
Although many scenarios are in play even with ~12 games left. Bs-Leafs round 1 is a near lock.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Why, are they especially wary of or hateful toward Pitt?

Also don't see a Bs/Leafs - Pitt 2nd round series as likely unless they finish wc2 - and I think they do better than that.
Although many scenarios are in play even with ~12 games left. Bs-Leafs round 1 is a near lock.

But that's the ONLY scenario where Pittsburgh would get to face Tampa in round 1. If they play, and beat, Tampa, they will face 1 of Toronto/ Boston.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Fans look more ready for the playoffs than their teams.

Ironic.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'd be fine with any of those possible first round matches for TB.

If they have to go through 3 contenders, so be it, but if we can get an easier draw in the first round and at least pretend that we're going to get some kind of advantage for the season they've had, then I'll take it every day.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I'd be fine with any of those possible first round matches for TB.

If they have to go through 3 contenders, so be it, but if we can get an easier draw in the first round and at least pretend that we're going to get some kind of advantage for the season they've had, then I'll take it every day.
If they're going to win a cup, they have to have the hardest journey, otherwise it was a fluke cup win. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
You're exaggerating greatly. They had 2: Dumolin and Chorney. Cole, Scuderi, Martin and Lovejoy, all NHL regulars, played that whole series.

An awful D, no doubt. But there were 2 AHLers. Not 6.

Well Scuderi should count as one too. :laugh:

Reactions: ncm7772

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad