Thoughts on rewarding the stanley cup winner with the 16th overall pick?

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Christ there are a lot of solutions to a problem that don't exist here. All these "new ideas" are only interesting to fantasy fans who want to see loony dynasties where Hughes is playing with Crosby and Malkin, only to ***** about the draft being fixed when it actually happens.

You really want to make it fair then get rid of the lottery and install the "Edmonton rule", no team can draft 1st more than twice in five years. I'm personally a fan of the lottery, but I can see the case against it.

If there wasn't a lottery we wouldn't have received 4 1st overalls but granted Hughes wouldn't be playing with Crosby and Malkin because if we applied this system in the past. Crosby would have gone to the TB because of the Lockout along with Oveckin to TB. Malkin would have gone to WSH.

Also we would have received Mario Lemieux in the 80's and if Peter Pocklington had money to keep that team team together I want you to imagine how insanely unfair that would have been. You also probably wouldn't even have the Penguins still around as a team anymore under this system.

There is a reason why the top picks go to bad teams to keep the league on even footing. A few top teams beating out 90% of the league isn't very entertaining.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Yes ... but consider that the playoffs will become that much more competitive with this added incentive

How would it become more competitive? The players don't give a shit about the 1OA pick...they already give it everything to win the cup.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
So you lose in quadruple OT in game 7 of the SCF and you get pushed down a draft spot too?!

Ouch

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Mike Green 29
Varlamov 23
John Carlson 27
Marcus Johansson 24
Kuznetsov 26
Burakovsky 23

I don't know. You can get good players with regularity late in the first round

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Mike Green 29
Varlamov 23
John Carlson 27
Marcus Johansson 24
Kuznetsov 26
Burakovsky 23

I don't know. You can get good players with regularity late in the first round

I'd wager it's easier to find talent in the 10-20 range than it is in the 25-30 range.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I always liked the idea of 2 separate lotteries...

A lotto for the teams that do not make the playoffs and a lotto for the teams that make the playoffs..so a team that wins the Cup goes into the lotto with all the other playoff teams and has a chance at 16th overall...teams that suck still get their chance at the top picks, and the teams that win or make it all the way to the finals has a shot at a better pick...

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Eliminate the lottery completely, it’s bush league nonsense.

Give the picks in reverse order of season outcomes.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Reverse seeding of those who missed the playoffs based on cap hit. So if you missed the playoffs put had the highest cap hit, you get the most balls in the lottery.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If you win the cup you should get first overall :) done (Y)

I agree. Go Tampa!

Seriously though, why do people always feel the need to change things? The next good idea someone comes up with will be the first.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's nice to see the bottom feeders and non-playoff teams collect all the top picks, I have nothing against that. If you're an awful team (tanking or not tanking), a top pick will and should help you turn things around so you can be competitive down the road.

For teams that are constantly competing for the cup, they're forced to restock their prospect pool with picks in the 25-31 range which makes it harder to land an A-level prospect that can sometimes be found in the 10-20 range, especially in deep drafts.

Do you think the Stanley Cup winner should be awarded the 1st pick among playoff teams?

There should be a reward for winning the cup. Maybe not the 16th pick. But an extra pick. Make it first pick in the 2nd rd or add a last pick added to the first rd if one wants to call it this for semantical reasons.

Some cup contenders trade their first at the TD. This would be fair compensation I believe for a job well done. And it would be incentive for teams to go for it at the TD.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
1) Why does the league exist? (winning, revenue, or..?)
2) Does changing the draft order adhere to this mission.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
This is one of those unusual suggestions that isn’t actually insane.

I’d be okay if they did this, don’t really have a strong opinion one way or another. I kind of like rewarding winning in moderate ways like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad