Thoughts on rewarding the stanley cup winner with the 16th overall pick?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
These ideas are terrible.

The entire idea behind the entry draft is to distribute incoming talent in such a manner to ensure the league is competitive. And you maintain that competitiveness by giving the worst teams the best incoming talent. There shouldn't even be a lottery.

Yes ... but consider that the playoffs will become that much more competitive with this added incentive

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
So the team that loses the Stanley cup gets double shafted by getting the last pick. Sounds legit. By winning the cup, you proved you don't need any extra help. It's completely asinine to think winning the cup gives you an extra reward.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This is something I could live with but I don't see much demand. As pointed out more often than not they would not hold the pick any way.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yes ... but consider that the playoffs will become that much more competitive with this added incentive
Players are already driven by desire to be champions, they won't be any more driven by draft position. It would just be mental masturbation for fans rooting for their teams.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The whole point of "landing" these coveted picks is in the hopes of assembling a team worthy of winning the almighty Stanley Cup.

Why does a team that has already proven themselves to be the best team in the league that year need 16th?

Reactions: cptjeff
Dec 15, 2002
Isn't it kinda rewarding mediocrity though? Teams that draft poorly, are run poorly, or tank the best are rewarded?
Shit happens. Bad luck happens. No sense in punishing teams for that. All that said, I've many times suggested a solution to the oft-complained "problem of tanking."

Yank the 1st-round pick. Period. If tanking is going on, that
instantly becomes a warning shot to other teams and everyone quits doing it immediately. The fact is, tanking for high picks is no automatic solution and certainly no guarantee for future success. [See: Oilers, Edmonton, who couldn't figure out winning for much of 9 years until they finally got a head coach to remind everyone that there's a half of the game called "defense" that's kind of important to winning games.]

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Yeah, but its stupid to call it the same name than the biggest sport in the world and compiletely different sport. And they actually use foot, thats why its football.

But okey let me call it american football, not nfl. That was just shorter way to say it sorry

GET BACK ON TOPIC.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
But anyway back to the topic like they said to us!

I think this system would work much better because then its all about winning as an organization. Now you can get lucky like Edmonton. But they never really deserved their 1st picks at all! I hope an organization such as Detroit to have better picks just because they succeeded as an organization for so long.

So now you gotta be bad to be a great... lose for Hughes. Its ridiculous..

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
No.

I'd rather have the bottom teams enter a 3 on 3 tournament where the top 3 winners get the first 3 picks in the lottery in the first round.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The cup is your reward for winning the cup. Seems like winners are pretty well rewarded as is. (Not to mention winning teams will have an easier time acquiring talent outside of the draft in free agency and getting guys to waive no-trades for them.)

Reactions: cptjeff and 7even

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think its a stupid idea to give the best picks for the worst teams. I haven’t heard of this in any sports. Its actually so stupid. I think SC winner should yahe the first pick so there is something to win!

220px-Stanley_Cup%2C_2015.jpg

:help:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Seems kind of arbitrary to me. If you wanted to give the best team that year the 16th pick for some reason it would make more sense to give it to the President's Trophy winner.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Isn't it kinda rewarding mediocrity though? Teams that draft poorly, are run poorly, or tank the best are rewarded?

Yes. Because the league needs all of its franchises to be "healthy", which means they need a fan base. Why would anyone be a fan of a team that finishes last and gets the 10th pick and who has no hope of winning or getting out of the basement?

The draft pick isn't a reward. Everyone needs to quit calling first overall a reward. It's designed a way to maintain parity and give every franchise hope and a chance to eventually win. That's what's important about the draft.

Reactions: cptjeff

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I think this system would work much better because then its all about winning as an organization. Now you can get lucky like Edmonton. But they never really deserved their 1st picks at all! I hope an organization such as Detroit to have better picks just because they succeeded as an organization for so long.

So now you gotta be bad to be a great... lose for Hughes. Its ridiculous..

And what? Screw the Oilers and their fans. If they suck forever and the franchise fails who cares because Detroit got the top pick and you feel good about it on principle? Makes no sense business wise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Well considering how well we did drafting Rakell 30th overall in 2011, if we won the cup we could then trade the 16th overall pick for the 30th overal + a 2nd round pick + a 7th round pick & our scouts will get the most value out of those picks.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Just take the bottom 8 and assign them the same lotto odds. So the worst team has the same lotto chances as the 2nd - 8th worst team

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Or, it'll be much less competitive because the good teams are getting better talent than the others, widening the gap.

It's fine as is.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3