Thoughts on rewarding the stanley cup winner with the 16th overall pick?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Why do you want to reward the best team in the league even more? They don't need any draft picks, they have the best team.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Or, it'll be much less competitive because the good teams are getting better talent than the others, widening the gap.

It's fine as is.

Its not

Because you have serial tankers like Leafs, Tampa, Pens, Oilers of the 80s and of recent

Teams shouldnt be allowed to be built this way

How is this fair for teams that dont tank ?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
First pick should be a lottery for all 30 picks... This would be the best way not to reward tankers

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It looks like I may be in the minority but I think it's an interesting idea.

In a cap world it's as much about timing your Cup window before you're crippled by UFA paydays. This at least Cup winners one decent shot at acquiring some young talent.

Parity may seem great and all but I'd bet that having teams like Chicago, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh being repeat winners has done a lot for the NHL's bottom line.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
two lotteries lower point totals in each group have greater odds
One for non playoff teams
One for playoff teams

Alternate picks between the groups
1st overall to non playoff lottery winner
2nd over all to playoff lottery winner
Continue alternating between groups

Yes it is absurdly possible for the rich to get richer

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I can’t have possibly rolled my eyes more than I just did

Well keep rolling it

Because it is a possible solution to tanking

As well 1st round picks value will jump ... which would be an interesting change of dynamics in the trade market

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
Why do teams want the first overall pick? To get talented players in order to win the Stanley Cup. People who argue the Stanley Cup winner should get 16th or 1st or whatever pick other than 31st, because "then they have something to motivate them to win" and get the "reward they deserve" have got it all backwards. You don't want to win just to get better picks, you want to get better picks in order to win.
To me it just seems like people yearn for the O6 era where the Habs won almost every year. What fun.
As for tanking, GMs might want to tank, but players and coaches always seek to win. A player doesn't care about picks, they want the Stanley Cup. How on earth would they be more motivated if they played for a top pick? That just means someone on the current roster will lose their job next season. Only GMs are concerned about getting high picks. GMs for contending teams have already done their best to put up the best team possible. I don't see a top pick award would do anything to make them do things differently. So, literally nothing would change, except that good teams would continue to be good, and teams that already have it rough will have an even harder time to compete.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
First pick should be a lottery for all 30 picks... This would be the best way not to reward tankers
Horrible, horrible idea.

Especially since then you could easily end up with now good teams like Toronto/Buffalo getting 1st OA, while naturally bad teams that have avoided tanking like NYR, Detroit, Vancouver etc. get screwed over.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Christ there are a lot of solutions to a problem that don't exist here. All these "new ideas" are only interesting to fantasy fans who want to see loony dynasties where Hughes is playing with Crosby and Malkin, only to bitch about the draft being fixed when it actually happens.

You really want to make it fair then get rid of the lottery and install the "Edmonton rule", no team can draft 1st more than twice in five years. I'm personally a fan of the lottery, but I can see the case against it.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Isn't it kinda rewarding mediocrity though? Teams that draft poorly, are run poorly, or tank the best are rewarded?
So? Who cares if bad teams make bad choices? You aren't rewarded by getting draft picks, you're rewarded by winning championships. Look at Edmonton with McDavid. Sure, they have a great and exciting player. But until they win a championship, it hasn't really gained them much, especially if they keep missing the playoffs.

Reactions: cptjeff

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
;);)
If you win the cup you should get first overall :) done (Y)
Lol said it for years. Just reverse order the second round. Cappiest team will get picks 32-33.

Surely they can find 2 guys that can play there.

5 or 6 years go by and your super team that wins every year will have to start unloading players for their cap hits.

Not only have you stopped tanking forever, you’ve increased player movement to keep us entertained in the offseason. And created dynasties!

Win win for everyone.

Except the team that still finishes last constantly. There’s always one that never figures it out no matter what free stuff you give them.

But seriously who cares about Edmonton ;)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Horrible, horrible idea.

Especially since then you could easily end up with now good teams like Toronto/Buffalo getting 1st OA, while naturally bad teams that have avoided tanking like NYR, Detroit, Vancouver etc. get screwed over.

Or bad team ends up with the 1st pick

After the 1st pick... it would proceed as usual

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad