Thoughts on rewarding the stanley cup winner with the 16th overall pick?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
It's nice to see the bottom feeders and non-playoff teams collect all the top picks, I have nothing against that. If you're an awful team (tanking or not tanking), a top pick will and should help you turn things around so you can be competitive down the road.

For teams that are constantly competing for the cup, they're forced to restock their prospect pool with picks in the 25-31 range which makes it harder to land an A-level prospect that can sometimes be found in the 10-20 range, especially in deep drafts.

Do you think the Stanley Cup winner should be awarded the 1st pick among playoff teams?

Last edited:

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I kind of like it actually.

Or just have a 2nd lottery with just the playoff teams.
Honestly I do too, generally there isn't much of a gamebreaking difference between 17th and 30th, it's mostly luck after the top 10-15 anyways. At least it gives an extra bonus to the cup winner.

Going back and looking at the best player from drafts that was drafted in the first round after 16th OA (Note, based off an eye test of career NHL points/gp, and consideration of D vs. forward):

2016: 20th (Cholowski)
2015: 23rd (Boeser)
2014: 25th (Pastrnak)
2013: 23rd (Burakovsky)
2012: 17th (Hertl)
2012: 30th (Rakell)
2011: 26th (Kuznetsov)

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
They never have first rounders anyway. But the value of their pick at the TDL increases...

Reactions: BlueBaron

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
These ideas are terrible.

The entire idea behind the entry draft is to distribute incoming talent in such a manner to ensure the league is competitive. And you maintain that competitiveness by giving the worst teams the best incoming talent. There shouldn't even be a lottery.

I think its a stupid idea to give the best picks for the worst teams. I haven’t heard of this in any sports. Its actually so stupid. I think SC winner should yahe the first pick so there is something to win!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
the goal of the league is make it possible that every team eventually wins a stanley cup they should prefer a current cup winner doesn't win it again for the next 30 -31 years allowing every team to get a shot. Obviously that is not what happens but that should be the leagues number 1 priority giving the best team in the league pick #16 goes against that interest.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I actually really like the lottery the way it is. Wouldn’t change it.

Tame Impala

Apr 11, 2015
Rather reward the President's Trophy winner than the cup winner. Winning the cup is the ultimate goal, who cares about picks when you have a cup in your hands. But having a little extra incentive to win the President's trophy would add some nice flavor to the regular season and the last few rounds could get super interesting, whereas now I don't think teams really care (that) much about the trophy. The regular season lasts significantly longer than the playoffs, so any extra incentives like this should be aimed towards that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad