Thoughts on Claude Julien as potential NYR HC

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Who else picks a coach? Or doesn’t “hand pick” them?

I don't know if it would make a difference but it has been brought up and made me nervous. A guy like Julien is a lot different than a guy like Quinn to me. One's a retread and one's a guy that Gorton is likely more emotionally invested in. He has more riding on the guy who he thought would grow into a great coach rather than the finished product. Which is similar to how fans view home grown talent and UFAs.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Absolutely not.

You need to target someone who has a reputation of playing and developing kids properly.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Babcock under the condition that he brings along Renney. And I'm not even a fan of Mr. Drivetrain but I'd stomach him as long as he is paired with Mr. Naturally. There just aren't any other good options. Which is part of the reason why this whole conversation should be tabled. We have the guy. He's a good coach and he's improving as a coach.
Renney?? God no.

Reactions: haveandare

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Boy the Quinn hatred is really blinding people into believing that Claude Julien, Babcock or Boudreau would be an improvement.

Gallant's system he had in Vegas would best compliment our players lack of game breaking speed. Their relentless forehcheck and quick puck movement made them play faster than they actually were.

Off season transactions will show management's commitment in Quinn. If we move some finess players for some grit then Quinn isn't going anywhere unless the team no shows. If they stand pat that means they trust the players and Quinn will have a short leash.
I see what you are saying. How can we judge Quinn? an orchestra isn’t made up of 18 solo violinist? Until Gorton and Co. develop or move pieces for grinding and banging players it wouldn’t matter if Scotty Bowman is coaching this team.
In 94 there were quality NHL players moved out to bring in the right mix. If it wasn’t for those moves an Doug Lidster being behind Mike Richter at the right time we wouldn’t have that memory.

Reactions: ETTER DE

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is this one of those jinx things?
I just don't think front offices sit there and analyze the coach like we do. They look at results. Nothing terrible has happened to the Rangers this year.

We almost made the playoffs in a tough division with an elite goal differential. Brass will consider that a win.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's what it is.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Why not? I get cised for nostalgia.
Well that's a terrible way to manage a team. I'd love to have Jagr back but I clearly know he would hurt the team.

Renney was a brutal coach, and he was gifted a young Oilers team with a ton of potential talent and couldn't do anything with them. There is a reason he never got another coaching gig after that.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Rangers are probably a wealthiest team in NHL. with a cap on players they should be striving to get the best coaching staff, best scouts the money can buy. Are they doing it? no. Why not? probably because the GM is not the best money can buy either.

Reactions: mas0764

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Rangers are probably a wealthiest team in NHL. with a cap on players they should be striving to get the best coaching staff, best scouts the money can buy. Are they doing it? no. Why not? probably because the GM is not the best money can buy either.
Ok, Marinaro. #IsThisAJoke

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Babcock and Julien can both go get f***ed, and I want neither near this team. Quinn probably isn't being fired anytime soon, for better or for worse, so my best hope is that his coaching arc can mimic something like what Jared Bednar has done in Colorado.

If they want a truly "developmental" coach - whatever this is supposed to mean these days - they could opt for the up-and-coming young guy in Ryan Warsofsky, who just won a Calder Trophy and whose brother was coached by Quinn at BU, or go with the guys with good track records in the AHL like Karl Taylor (Milwaukee), or Derek Laxdel/Todd Nelson (both assistant coaches on Dallas right now).

The bigger onus is honestly on Gorton to trim the fat from the bottom-6 and have more balance on the defensive end next season.

Reactions: haveandare

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Next season is the first time DQ will need to show he is the right guy for the job. The team will not be hamstrung due to the cap, the kids won't be green and the expectations will be a return to the playoffs. Anything less is a disappointment.

We're playing with fire. If he doesn't show that, it'll be another year off Panarin's prime and another lost year in terms of development for the kids.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't know if it would make a difference but it has been brought up and made me nervous. A guy like Julien is a lot different than a guy like Quinn to me. One's a retread and one's a guy that Gorton is likely more emotionally invested in. He has more riding on the guy who he thought would grow into a great coach rather than the finished product. Which is similar to how fans view home grown talent and UFAs.
Yeah I get the concern but every GM is invested in every coach similarly - they pick someone they think is a smart choice and they want that to be true. Gorton hasn’t been too sentimental with really any decisions at any point yet imo.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Go from one of the most charismatic coaches with the voice of an inspirational football coach from a movie and looks like an actor playing the president, to a clumsy Bozo who looks like Hank Hill. Sign me up
Not Hank Hill, but another character from that show:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't think Quinn gets canned before the end of next season personally. I think the organization realizes this is a young, incomplete team and im sure theyd wanna give Quinn a shot atleast with a lineup he should win with. Our left side d is incomplete, our right side d is incomplete, and the kids are still auditioning for where they fit in up front.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I don't think Quinn gets canned before the end of next season personally. I think the organization realizes this is a young, incomplete team and im sure theyd wanna give Quinn a shot atleast with a lineup he should win with. Our left side d is incomplete, our right side d is incomplete, and the kids are still auditioning for where they fit in up front.

Look around the league, no team is perfect. If Gorton does not fire Quinn after this season then fire Gorton.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Look around the league, no team is perfect. If Gorton does not fire Quinn after this season then fire Gorton.
Blomee
If Gorts gets fired,
team gets worse,
bad things happen,
1/2 these prospects,
that we believe in,
get sent away as new guy 'puts his stamp' on the team

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I don't want Julien or Carlyle either. But as much as we shit on AV, what he did with that 2016-2017 team was borderline miraculous and all we could think of was the f*** up.
You mean with one of the greatest goalies in the entire history of the NHL playing at the top of his game?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00