Thoughts on Claude Julien as potential NYR HC

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I understand the affection for Gallant but I’d like to better understand how he has gotten fired three times.

It’s getting close to put up or move on time for Quinn. A very bad start next year without an overlying perspective or a playoff whiff in 21-22 probably turns out the lights. Not sooner.

I believe he had an alcohol abuse issue that I've heard he's gotten control of, if he's cleared he'd be the perfect coach for this team.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I understand the affection for Gallant but I’d like to better understand how he has gotten fired three times.

It’s getting close to put up or move on time for Quinn. A very bad start next year without an overlying perspective or a playoff whiff in 21-22 probably turns out the lights. Not sooner.
Not only fired, but fired in the midst of the third year each time.

Reactions: haveandare

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This team was always,at best,a bubble team.

I'm not expecting them to be atop the division, but they shouldn't need a miracle to make it at this point. Also, f*** that. They have a top 5 player in the league, a top 10 goalie, and a top 3 defenseman. Sure they have warts, so do other people. The Rangers have 5 guys on pace for 70 or more points. They don't need to be flawless to make the playoffs in the league where more teams than not make them. The Islanders are a team with less talent but a real coach and they're fighting for tops in the division. Renney, Torts, and AV all had teams vastly outperform their talent. Quinn's team is the opposite. I'm so sick of the Quinn excuses. We haven't had a coach do less with more in almost 20 years.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
How many goals did he score?
The first post reasonably asserted that the organization might assign some credit to Quinn so based on that context someone else pointed out the irony since Knob actually was on the bench for some of the key GD games.

Your response would be more accurately aimed at the first post but even then it'd miss the mark bc the reality is that MH is most likely correct. The organization would assign credit to Quinn for the GD. There's also been enough progress in some key young players that I could see them giving him another year based on that as well.

Unfortunately the quality of NHL coaches and executives is laughable leaguewide so idk at this point where to look.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...Bottom line is this team is a playoff caliber team that will be sitting home during the playoffs.

Disagree that they underperformed by being 5th w this division alignment.
In Eastern Conference, they likely challenge for last WC, but none of these 4 teams were expected to fall behind this NYR team.

If/when they replace Quinn, i will hope for another early, or mid career guy, not a one-more-lap late-career retread.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In Eastern Conference, they likely challenge for last WC, but none of these 4 teams were expected to fall behind this NYR team.

If/when they replace Quinn, i will hope for another early, or mid career guy, not a one-more-lap late-career retread.

Well, I don't know after AV I hoped for that. But early to mid-career guys are a crap shoot. Also coach Q is in a way a retread isn't he?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Underperformance is about more than the standings to me. Game in and game out the persistent errors in fundamentals, lineup decisions and player usage have caused this team to lose at least 3-6 games. If you look by period there are so many entire chunks of hockey games where the NYR are completely outcoached and run off the ice.

Game by game we've underperformed AND standings-wise we've underperformed compared to what a great coach would have gotten us.

There are valid excuses for Quinn but I think the reality is the guy just isn't that good of a coach and has failed to improve enough thus far. I'm sure he'll get another crack at it next year. Maybe he'll finally fix some of the same mistakes he's been making.

We also need much better decision making from the front office. Gorton made an absolutely atrocious decision with kreider. Taking on that contract instead of acquiring futures and signing a cheaper vet on a shorter term commitment? Awful team building and cap allocation. I was always pissed we refused to lockup Buch long term too. He was getting so good, to not get him for 4 or 5 years made zero sense to me, especially considering what we gave CK. Have to identify which players are worth the long term, expensive commitment and which ones aren't.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I've mentioned that quite a bit when people say the Rangers suck. But so what? Bottom line is this team is a playoff caliber team that will be sitting home during the playoffs.

They're not done yet. One game at a time.

It doesn't look good now but just take care of business and play high intensity for 8 games.

A big part of Quinn's own self-evaluation is how they prepare for the beginning of a season. He needs to do a better job for this fall.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Boy the Quinn hatred is really blinding people into believing that Claude Julien, Babcock or Boudreau would be an improvement.

Gallant's system he had in Vegas would best compliment our players lack of game breaking speed. Their relentless forehcheck and quick puck movement made them play faster than they actually were.

Off season transactions will show management's commitment in Quinn. If we move some finess players for some grit then Quinn isn't going anywhere unless the team no shows. If they stand pat that means they trust the players and Quinn will have a short leash.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Well, I don't know after AV I hoped for that. But early to mid-career guys are a crap shoot. Also coach Q is in a way a retread isn't he?
NyR is Quinn's first NHL HC job.
TBH, i never expected him to leave his dream job at BU, never thought Gorts would convince him.
A savvy veteran coach my suit this team, but my earlier unhappiness w AV, and Renney, keep me wary of classic Canadian vet coaches.

Call me nuts, but I would welcome back the other guy if CBJ made a change.

But the next Jon Cooper could be cool.
And even a change, from over thinking Quinn, to more steady rolling Knoblauch, might suit this mix...

IF they went for a classic proven coach, i'd prefer Gallant or even Boudreau over Julien or Carlyle..

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I'm not expecting them to be atop the division, but they shouldn't need a miracle to make it at this point. Also, f*** that. They have a top 5 player in the league, a top 10 goalie, and a top 3 defenseman. Sure they have warts, so do other people. The Rangers have 5 guys on pace for 70 or more points. They don't need to be flawless to make the playoffs in the league where more teams than not make them. The Islanders are a team with less talent but a real coach and they're fighting for tops in the division. Renney, Torts, and AV all had teams vastly outperform their talent. Quinn's team is the opposite. I'm so sick of the Quinn excuses. We haven't had a coach do less with more in almost 20 years.
All that stuff you said was great,but it still doesnt make them any better than the 4 teams in front of them.Im also not defending Quinn either.im indifferent to him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
NyR is Quinn's first NHL HC job.
TBH, i never expected him to leave his dream job at BU, never thought Gorts would convince him.
A savvy veteran coach my suit this team, but my earlier unhappiness w AV, and Renney, keep me wary of classic Canadian vet coaches.

Call me nuts, but I would welcome back the other guy if CBJ made a change.

But the next Jon Cooper could be cool.
And even a change, from over thinking Quinn, to more steady rolling Knoblauch, might suit this mix...

IF they went for a classic proven coach, i'd prefer Gallant or even Boudreau over Julien or Carlyle..

Yeah, I don't want Julien or Carlyle either. But as much as we shit on AV, what he did with that 2016-2017 team was borderline miraculous and all we could think of was the f*** up. Hell, the 2014 and 2015 teams were good but not SCF, ECF, and presidents' trophy good IMHO. And Renney had a similar teams to this one at 100 points and before the Lundqvist injury pacing more in 05-06. Literally everyone but Quinn has gotten more with less and we shit on everyone else.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Babcock under the condition that he brings along Renney. And I'm not even a fan of Mr. Drivetrain but I'd stomach him as long as he is paired with Mr. Naturally. There just aren't any other good options. Which is part of the reason why this whole conversation should be tabled. We have the guy. He's a good coach and he's improving as a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad