Thoughts on Claude Julien as potential NYR HC

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I want Rikard Gronborg.
Would be a great hire, but I feel like he winds up replacing Torts in Columbus unfortunately.

For the record I’m not touching Julien or (as others have suggested) Boudreau. Gallant should still be the top choice based on who is currently out there.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Does Claude Julien have any history with Jeff Gorton?
I’m a fan of Gallant as a head coach for this team.
Like his philosophy on not benching players for mistakes. Wants them to learn from the experience and not go out the next time and play with fear.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
DQ's gonna get at least a full "normal" season. They won't move on from him until they think he's lost the locker room which happens to them all.

As far as the OP's question, heck no. I've been liking the idea of Sully more and more though.

Reactions: egelband

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Never mind his time in Montreal. As a Bruins fan, his last 2 (you could really say 3) years in Boston were disastrous. The Bruins fell out of the playoffs at the very end of the season two years in a row. The only reason it didn’t happen a third straight season was because he was fired. Bruce Cassidy came in and immediately turned the team around.

Claude is good for teams that don’t have enough structure. Teams which have the talent to compete, but need structural discipline. And even then, he needs strong veteran leadership to enhance his message. He isn’t the guy in terms of adapting to the various skill sets of his players. Any issue is always a result of not following “the system” closely enough.

Claude’s teams live and die as a single unit. That’s great when the team is fully committed to and built to play his system. But I’ve never seen my team enter a free fall and be unable to escape it for so long as was the case multiple times with Claude. Of course, this exact same phenomenon repeated multiple times in Montreal during his second tenure there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He isn't. No matter what some fans think, management still believes in him. He isn't even close to being fired.

He's given management nothing to believe in him over other than Gorton hand picked him and will die on that hill. If he were a retread this wouldn't even be a question anymore.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's given management nothing to believe in him over other than Gorton hand picked him and will die on that hill. If he were a retread this wouldn't even be a question anymore.
If nothing else, you are consistent from thread to thread. Basically the same exact post. If we had the HF Master Chef thread up, I am pretty sure you would blame The burnt chili on Quinn. If there was a weather thread, it would rain because Quinn did nothing to prevent it.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Outside of a ton of bad luck this year we're in a playoff spot imo. I don't agree with some things Quinn does but I'm saying no to recycling the old school coaches that have failed somewhere else. Julien does a lot of the same dumb stuff that annoys me with Quinn and Tortorella previously, where its blatantly obvious who should be moved up the lineup but they decide to try and prove how smart they are by elevating 4th liners to those spots. Im done with old school coaches for new school hockey, its why id advocate for Gerard Gallant as he's more of a bridge between the two. I don't want to aquire all this firepower to try and tunn them into shot blockers and overly conservative players.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This thread should be shut because unless the team goes 0-8 and is blown out every game, our boy Quinn will be back.

I expect Gorton and JD around exit interviews will talk to the press about all of the progress from January, how the team dealt with a lot of adverse situations, and how they were close.

As for Julien, first of, the guy looks like a confused bowling ball. He won a Cup, and that's really cool but it was more of because AV was a doofus and some coaches especially in recent times after so many cracks finally get there. Disco Dan won a Cup, wore glasses and looked smart, and came from the Penguins so Pierre was always talking about him. Where is he now?

He's apparently a stubborn guy behind the scenes and remember when the Devils fired him out of the blue? That was a respect thing with the players (Larry wrote an article about it).

It's now the 2020s and a lot of those guys who were coaching in the late 90s like the AVs, Torts, Juliens, are going to start to be phased out.

Reactions: CasusBelli

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Have you? Have you opened a single eye to see what what their spot would be in any other division?

I've mentioned that quite a bit when people say the Rangers suck. But so what? Bottom line is this team is a playoff caliber team that will be sitting home during the playoffs.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad