Thornton says Matthews should be up for the Rocket, Selke, and Hart - PART 2

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Winning the Hart while missing the playoffs isn't impossible but still, it rarely happens. Are you new to following the NHL?

That issue non-withstanding, thinking anyone's a lock for any major NHL award this early in the season is just nutso.
Hasn't happened since Lemieux over 20 years ago, are you living in the past? The voters refuse to vote in a winner on a non play-off team these days

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Agreed, people saying Matthews isn't even close to McDavid probably don't watch him on a regular basis so they just don't know, simple as that.

McDavid still has to be considered the best cause he's been at this high level for a long time whereas Matthews has only recently climbed up there. We see him play all the time so it's not really a surprise to us, more like something we've been waiting for and is finally happening but I get why people who don't know him as well as we do might expect he'll fall off.

IMHO McDavid has to be considered the best for that reason but if I had to pick one player today to lead my team into the playoffs, boy that would be tough. It's McDavid or Matthews though, this season I'd say those guys are their own tier above everyone else.

To be fair, it's possible I'm not giving Draisaitl enough credit, don't watch the Oilers enough to know for sure but I assume he's not quite on the same level.
Why would you assume hes not on the same level when he was the best player in the league last season, one year after he put up 50G/100pts

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hasn't happened since Lemieux over 20 years ago, are you living in the past? The voters refuse to vote in a winner on a non play-off team these days

If living in the past is the issue then the people doing that are Oiler fans who think McDavid is a lock for the Hart.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm not assuming anything. Did you even read my post?
Agreed, people saying Matthews isn't even close to McDavid probably don't watch him on a regular basis so they just don't know, simple as that.

McDavid still has to be considered the best cause he's been at this high level for a long time whereas Matthews has only recently climbed up there. We see him play all the time so it's not really a surprise to us, more like something we've been waiting for and is finally happening but I get why people who don't know him as well as we do might expect he'll fall off.

IMHO McDavid has to be considered the best for that reason but if I had to pick one player today to lead my team into the playoffs, boy that would be tough. It's McDavid or Matthews though, this season I'd say those guys are their own tier above everyone else.

To be fair, it's possible I'm not giving Draisaitl enough credit, don't watch the Oilers enough to know for sure but I assume he's not quite on the same level.

Uhh...look at the bolded. Did you even read your own post?

You literally use the words "I assume" :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Uhh...look at the bolded. Did you even read your own post?

You literally use the words "I assume" :laugh:

I guess you missed what I said right before that. How did you manage that, it was in the same sentence.

Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong - is Draisaitl on the same level as McDavid?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I guess you missed what I said right before that. How did you manage that, it was in the same sentence.

Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong - is Draisaitl on the same level as McDavid?
Is he on the same level Matthews? Absolutely.

You critize posters for "assuming Matthews isnt as good" as McDavid because they dont watch him, and then go on to do that exact same thing with Draisaitl/McDavid in the next paragraph.

Reactions: frag2 and McFlyingV

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
On page 47... still talking about Joe's comment. Beautiful.

Joe is either

1) a genius and and avid HF reader -- laughing his ass off
or
2) thick as pig shit

Probably be an more interesting topic of discussion. Jumbo Joe -- Genius or Dumb Shit. Discuss!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Is he on the same level Matthews? Absolutely.

You critize posters for "assuming Matthews isnt as good" as McDavid because they dont watch him, and then go on to do that exact same thing with Draisaitl/McDavid in the next paragraph.

I was asking about McDavid. Maybe try reading my post again.

Also - I wasn't criticizing anyone. If people don't watch Matthews play, they can't understand how good he is. That's not a criticism, more like an explanation of why I don't hold it against Oiler fans if they don't understand how good Matthews is. Unless of course they've watched him play a lot this season, then that's different - they should know full well how good he is.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Hes pretty close, but McDavid is also on a whole other level than Matthews.

Im curious how you can make the assumption that it's "close" between McDavid and Matthews when you admit yourself you dont watch Edmonton?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You made a post that seemed to be agreeing with me (tough to win the Hart if you miss the playoffs). You agreed with me, I agreed with you, what's the problem?
It's not tough, its essentially impossible in the current NHL and there is 25 years of evidence to back that up.

As to your post (love your condescending tone in every post we've interacted interacted in), no it wouldn't be living in the past to think McDavid, who has been the unanimous #1 player in the world for multiple seasons, and who is having his best season to date, is a lock for the Hart.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Also - I wasn't criticizing anyone. If people don't watch Matthews play, they can't understand how good he is. That's not a criticism, more like an explanation of why I don't hold it against Oiler fans if they don't understand how good Matthews is. Unless of course they've watched him play a lot this season, then that's different - they should know full well how good he is.

There's a lot of irony in this post given that it's much easier for Oilers fans to watch Leafs games regularly as 5pm local starts than it is for Leafs fans to watch Oilers games as 9 or 10pm local starts.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

Im curious how you can make the assumption that it's "close" between McDavid and Matthews when you admit yourself you dont watch Edmonton?
I love seeing people admit they don't watch a certain team. It happens to majority of posters but no one admits it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I love seeing people admit they don't watch a certain team. It happens to majority of posters but no one admits it.

Good for him for admitting it.

Bad for him for judging posters for stating McDavid> Matthews "without watching him" then going on to say "McDavid=Matthews" while also admitting he doesn't watch McDavid :laugh:

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If you cant see that McDavid is a better hockey player than Austin Matthews, then you fail. That said, Matthews certainly upped his game another level. Its between him and McKinnon for 2nd to me. Matthews can still improve though. Wait until he signs with Vegas, he'll be the face of the league. :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I watch EDM sometimes, not as much as the Leafs though. But I've watched him a fair bit since he entered the league as I'm a huge fan. For that reason, I think I have a pretty good idea of what he is while I can't say the same for Draisaitl.

It's not tough, its essentially impossible in the current NHL and there is 25 years of evidence to back that up.

As to your post (love your condescending tone in every post we've interacted interacted in), no it wouldn't be living in the past to think McDavid, who has been the unanimous #1 player in the world for multiple seasons, and who is having his best season to date, is a lock for the Hart.

So it's "essentially impossible" to win the Hart without making the playoffs yet it makes sense to think McDavid is a lock for the Hart.

Go on, I'm listening. :)

There's a lot of irony in this post given that it's much easier for Oilers fans to watch Leafs games regularly as 5pm local starts than it is for Leafs fans to watch Oilers games as 9 or 10pm local starts.

I don't know how often Oiler fans watch the Leafs so I don't assume that they do. That's not irony, it's common sense.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I watch EDM sometimes, not as much as the Leafs though. But I've watched him a fair bit since he entered the league as I'm a huge fan. For that reason, I think I have a pretty good idea of what he is while I can't say the same for Draisaitl.

So it's "essentially impossible" to win the Hart without making the playoffs yet it makes sense to think McDavid is a lock for the Hart.

Go on, I'm listening. :)

I don't know how often Oiler fans watch the Leafs so I don't assume that they do. That's not irony, it's common sense.
So again, you say Matthews = Mcadvid because of how good Matthews has been this season but then base McDavid's game off of how hes played since he entered the league and not his play today?

Man this is some crazy loops youre jumping through

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good for him for admitting it.

Bad for him for judging posters for stating McDavid> Matthews "without watching him" then going on to say "McDavid=Matthews" while also admitting he doesn't watch McDavid :laugh:

How many Oiler fans claiming McDavid is way better than Matthews watch Matthews on a regular basis?

Be honest now. :)

And BTW, I've watched McDavid a ton over the years, just not so much this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad