Thornton says Matthews should be up for the Rocket, Selke, and Hart - PART 2

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think both Matthews and McDavid should be given negative value for the Hart considering their division, but at the current point in time Matthews goal streak is much more impressive than McDavid loading up on a bunch of secondary assist powerplay points.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
He’s been better than McDavid and his offence has been more impactful towards wins. He’s the only one between the two that is even on the radar for the Hart.

McDavid is coming off a 6 game goalless streak, has had 4 pointless games, nearly half his point on the PP, 1st in secondary assists.

Matthews has 13 goals in 18 games. Points in 17 of 18 games. 6 game winners in their 14 wins. 1st in even strength goals, 2nd in even strength points, 2nd in goals created, and tied for 1st with McDavid for point shares. He’s also the better off puck player.

The delusion is strong with this one

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You're seriously saying the league leader in points by 7 isn't even on the radar for the Hart?

I'm sure you'll be just as critical of Matthews when he goes on his own goalless droughts this season, right?

The fact that he actually believes only Matthews is on the radar for the hart was more laughable than the 'off puck' nonsense. I can say Matthews has a big shot on winning the Rocket, but trying to exclude McDavid from the Hart is just ???? worthy. McDavid is having another monster year, and trying to pick at crap like his play away from the puck or secondary assists just to justify Matthews being better is just utter stupidity. Matthews is definitely better when it comes to potting goals, but overall McDavid is the better player.
No GM in the league would take Matthews over McDavid and that's a fact

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
I think both Matthews and McDavid should be given negative value for the Hart considering their division, but at the current point in time Matthews goal streak is much more impressive than McDavid loading up on a bunch of secondary assist powerplay points.

McDavid:

Total assists: 25

ES primary assists: 11
PP primary assists: 6
17 primary assists

ES secondary assists: 3
PP secondary assists: 5
8 secondary assists

Yeah, McDavid loading a bunch of secondary assists is quite the exaggerating.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
You see how much mental gymnastics one has to do to pry one guy into the Hart convo? That tells you everything.

It's a fun season. The 3 games EDM-TO have coming up should be nice. Teams are 2-2 against one another. Close games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You see how much mental gymnastics one has to do to pry one guy into the Hart convo? That tells you everything.

It's a fun season. The 3 games EDM-TO have coming up should be nice. Teams are 2-2 against one another. Close games.
Honestly it's extremely close between the two and even though I might've been negative towards McDavid, I simply find Matthews goal streak more impressive for MVP of the league than getting to 1.99 PPG from a ton of PP points. They're both leading the Hart category, but because it's easier for them to get goals and points compared to the other three divisions, that should negate some of their numbers and allow other American team players to be in the category (even as I said at the beginning both should be leading).

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
IMG_9646.jpg

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I did not read this thread, but Matthews is NOT better then McDavid. Is there some aspects of Matthews game better then McDavid, yes... but as a all around hockey player I take Mcdavid over 34 any day of the week.

Funny enough as an all around hockey player is the only argument Matthews has. This season McDavid is only better in powerplay points, with over a minute more powerplay time per game. I'm not sure if that makes someone a better "all around" hockey player.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly it's extremely close between the two and even though I might've been negative towards McDavid, I simply find Matthews goal streak more impressive for MVP of the league than getting to 1.99 PPG from a ton of PP points. They're both leading the Hart category, but because it's easier for them to get goals and points compared to the other three divisions, that should negate some of their numbers and allow other American team players to be in the category (even as I said at the beginning both should be leading).

Going from secondary assist PP points to a ton of PP points now? Lol?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
How dare you fact check him like that

I mean it changed the 'secondary pp assists' narrative to just PP points now. How dare McDavid rack up PP points. Not like the PP was the Oilers specialty last season and slowly improving back to normal this season with the addition of Barrie. Nvm, it must be Barrie for McDavid getting so many points on the PP!

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
I mean it changed the 'secondary pp assists' narrative to just PP points now. How dare McDavid rack up PP points. Not like the PP was the Oilers specialty last season and slowly improving back to normal this season with the addition of Barrie. Nvm, it must be Barrie for McDavid getting so many points on the PP!
It’s going to be quite the exercise going back through history and re-awarding player trophies with powerplay stats excluded

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Going from secondary assist PP points to a ton of PP points now? Lol?
McDavid is a good player and will always have a lot of even strength assists, but his PPA compared to the rest of the league is probably higher than anybody else (not including defencemen). And yes he still gets a lot of secondary assist points.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If Matthews is able to pull off 50 in 50 he’s likely to win the Hart. The fact it’s not been done in a while would likely sway a few votes.

McDavid is still the better player, even if Matthews wins the Hart.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
McDavid is a good player and will always have a lot of even strength assists, but his PPA compared to the rest of the league is probably higher than anybody else (not including defencemen). And yes he still gets a lot of secondary assist points.

None of those what you stated is a bad thing or should be used against him on not being a Hart contender over Matthews. Enough said.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
McDavid does this against all NHL teams

so yes its less impressive.

im sorry calling your favorite player a top 5-7 guy in the league isnt enough praise for you
I didn't say you needed to praise him more, I'd avoid posting about imaginary conversations, looks a bit odd.

You literally quoted me.

"So if someone on your team was fighting McDavid for the scoring title while in the same division you would not see that as exciting?"

Did not say he was the greatest, didn't say you should all bow down and worship. Try reading it again and maybe I won't have to tell you what I didn't say.....

Most fans would be excited by a player on their team doing so well. It's puzzling you cannot imagine that.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
I didn't say you needed to praise him more, I'd avoid posting about imaginary conversations, looks a bit odd.

You literally quoted me.

"So if someone on your team was fighting McDavid for the scoring title while in the same division you would not see that as exciting?"

Did not say he was the greatest, didn't say you should all bow down and worship. Try reading it again and maybe I won't have to tell you what I didn't say.....

Most fans would be excited by a player on their team doing so well. It's puzzling you cannot imagine that.
Whats puzzling is the rambling

I said I find it 'less impressive' than if it were a normal year. Somehow youve extrapolated thag into thinking I am suggesting fans shouldnt be excited

For someone giving off such an attitude, you really dont have too much of a grasp on how to 'stay on topic'. Let us remember who quoted who in the first place

lets see Matthews do this in a normal season (compete with McDavid for points leaders/score a goal per game). Not after playing Ottawa four times already

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
In a normal season, I’d say it would be just a matter of time before he levels off and comes down to earth. But the teams in the North are just so poor defensively. Every single one of them. He very well could just walk all over them the entire season. He deserves credit for his play, but there seriously needs to be a big asterisk put next to this season.
somehow I feel like that asterisk won't be applied to whatever McDavid accomplishes despite them having the same competition this season. Also, Montreal is a good defensive team and Matthews just made them look like the Sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad