Thornton says Matthews should be up for the Rocket, Selke, and Hart - PART 2

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
It feels like every single season through 20 games Leafs fans do the same song and dance comparing Matthews to McDavid with their ridiculous hyperbolic takes.

And of course, predictably, once McDavid shuts them up and makes the discussion look idiotic, they mysteriously vanish. Although some of the more delusional ones still are holding the line and believing it to be true.

I think the reason they disappear is for the same reason why some people don’t speak up when the going is good for Toronto. It’s all too juvenile.

With that being said goals and assists adjusted for games played:

McDavud
G - 20
A - 36
Pts - 56

Matthews
G - 26
A - 18
Pts - 44

I don’t know McDavid will probably win the hart.

Matthews will probably win the rocket.

Someone else will win the selke.

Who knows who wins the Canadian Cup.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Another game where McD singlehandedly carried the offense for his team. Yeh that’s what an MVP does. McD is the front runner for the Hart and really no one is close.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
52b0oh.jpg

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think the reason they disappear is for the same reason why some people don’t speak up when the going is good for Toronto. It’s all too juvenile.

McDavud
G - 20
A - 36
Pts - 56

Matthews
G - 26
A - 18
Pts - 44

Couldn’t understand half the things you said but your stats are wrong and mcdavid is winning his first rocket. Goal behind AM who was shooting at ridiculous career high percentages compared to mcdavid right around his career average but finally taking more shots.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Couldn’t understand half the things you said but your stats are wrong and mcdavid is winning his first rocket. Goal behind AM who was shooting at ridiculous career high percentages compared to mcdavid right around his career average but finally taking more shots.

why did you bother responding then?

I thought the numbers were right if Matthews wasn’t 6 games behind.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As I said earlier in this thread. If Matthews doesn't finish within 10 points per 82 of McDavid he's not winning the Hart. Right now he's on pace to finish 35 points per 82 behind McDavid. McDavid is running away with the Art Ross, Hart, and Lindsay by a catastrophic landslide. And he's in striking distance for the Richard.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Curious has an actually non teammate said opposing team player should win x trophy ever. I remember the coach Trotz atleast said back in the day Price should win the Hart when he did.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Im a leafs leaf and love Matthews..

But McDavid is on another level on his own. There is no question he is the best player in the NHL.. and will probably end up beating Crosby's status when comparing The 2 individually now and in there prime. (Not including cups and career attributes as Crosby has 3cups)

But if Oilers don't win atleast 1 cup with McDavid... What a terrible organization/team... That will go down as one of the saddest waste of a generation player ever!. McDavid keeps putting up these numbers for his career I don't see how anyone can blame him.. 1 player can't do it all and if they lose having a player with those stats... My god.

Pressure is on the Team/organization to get it done right or they will forever be a joke.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Going to have to build a bigger trophy case to fit that one alongside his most goals per 60 minutes at even strength he won a couple of years ago.
You’d think he have planned one for his longest goal streak in history trophy. And by history I mean Leafs history. And by longest I mean 3rd most or something.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

McDavud
G - 20
A - 36
Pts - 56

Matthews
G - 26
A - 18
Pts - 44

You're adjusting for games that Matthews has zero chance of playing, as his team played them without him.

Reactions: Garthinater

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
You're adjusting for games that Matthews has zero chance of playing, as his team played them without him.

While that is only partially true and realize the rocket only cares about number of goals scored but sooo? Would you disagree that Matthews still likely wins it going off this information?

The other awards are more subjective but I believe I have those pegged reasonably as well.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
While that is only partially true and realize the rocket only cares about number of goals scored but sooo? Would you disagree that Matthews still likely wins it going off this information?

The other awards are more subjective but I believe I have those pegged reasonably as well.
I’d put money on McDavid personally. He was quite a few goals back recently when Matthews was playing and has closed the gap to one goal. Draisaitl could also win. I think it could be close but based on recent pace I’d probably pick McDavid.
There’s no question that Matthews had an insane start to the season but I think McDavid catches him in a couple of games.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I’d put money on McDavid personally. He was quite a few goals back recently when Matthews was playing and has closed the gap to one goal. Draisaitl could also win. I think it could be close but based on recent pace I’d probably pick McDavid.

That’s reasonable. I definitely think it will be close.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I think it will be close, but I have Matthews as winning it.

Hopefully he can get fully healthy and we can start to see him really rip it up, the league is better with more stars performing at the level these two can.

Reactions: Feliix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad