News Article: Thomas Chabot is the hero Ottawa needs right now

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
"if possible" might be the issue at hand though. None of us are privy to the ins and outs of the Senators exact financial situations, but it's pretty easy to deduce that cash flow is a real issue for this team. Wouldn't be a case of "not wanting to" as much as Melnyk not having the up front cash to shell out ~$20+ million in a calendar year.

On an unrelated note, I'm actually starting to wonder how many "allies" the Senators would have when it comes to this signing bonus stuff. There aren't very many teams left that don't hand them out. I understand it's the cost of doing business, but it would be tough for the Panthers (for example) to lobby the NHL to close that loophole after giving Bobrovsky ~half his contract in SB's. It's entirely possible I'm overthinking this angle though.

I think the signing bonus issue will be a major point in the next contract discussions with the players by many teams even some of those that have had to resort to using it to retain or obtain players. Burying bad contracts in the minor leagues is also contra-competition and I suspect will be addressed too.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Chabot is the player the team needs to lockup long term to get fans to even consider buying into this rebuild plan.

I don't beleive Melynks ALL IN B.S. , As long as he is at the helm we will always be in rebuild Mode as we trade players when is time to pay them the market rate.

I think we have good players in the pipeline and hopefully they a good portion of them pan out.

I am just getting the feeling that we may be the farm team for other teams to take advantage of once our players are about to start hitting peak.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think the signing bonus issue will be a major point in the next contract discussions with the players by many teams even some of those that have had to resort to using it to retain or obtain players. Burying bad contracts in the minor leagues is also contra-competition and I suspect will be addressed too.

This may not happen. Currently the most powerful tool for GM’s to equalize varying district tax rates is the signing bonus.

Tavares contract with the leafs is paid mostly in signing bonuses which lets JT pay income tax on that money where ever he declares he lives. Let’s say he lives in Tampa vs Toronto. His salary has to be paid where he plays. There are many GM’s who would not want to give that up because it makes their contracts closer in value to the no tax districts like Tampa and gives them a better chance of retaining players.

Fixing signing bonuses is linked to fixing league wide tax rates which is a mess.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
This may not happen. Currently the most powerful tool for GM’s to equalize varying district tax rates is the signing bonus.

Tavares contract with the leafs is paid mostly in signing bonuses which lets JT pay income tax on that money where ever he declares he lives. Let’s say he lives in Tampa vs Toronto. His salary has to be paid where he plays. There are many GM’s who would not want to give that up because it makes their contracts closer in value to the no tax districts like Tampa and gives them a better chance of retaining players.

Fixing signing bonuses is linked to fixing league wide tax rates which is a mess.
Is that really the way taxes work at that level?

In my personal anecdote, I've lived in QC for about 10 years, and worked in ON that whole time. Every year, provincially, I pay income tax to Revenu Quebec, not Ontario. Note I'm paid in 26 installments through the year, not a lump sum in April. I would have suspected it's generally the same thing for NHL players. Tax is based on residency, not the paying jurisdiction.

If it worked that you were taxed at the rate where your employer issues the cheque, wouldn't it just be a matter of making all players paid by the NHL front office, and putting that office in Orlando or Dallas?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So Melnyk is spending about 47 mil in real money on the roster this upcoming season and Chabot could possibly get a bonus-laden contract somewhere that pays him 20 mil next year.

Umm...

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
At least with the EK and Stone trades, Dorion could (unconvincingly) pretend that it was all part of the "rebuilding plan".

But if they trade Chabot? A 22 year old Norris caliber stud defenseman?? There's absolutely, positively no way that Ottawa could spin that move as anything but money related. Zip, zilch, nada. Though a part of me is morbidly curious to see how'll they'll try.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
At least with the EK and Stone trades, Dorion could (unconvincingly) pretend that it was all part of the "rebuilding plan".

But if they trade Chabot? A 22 year old Norris caliber stud defenseman?? There's absolutely, positively no way that Ottawa could spin that move as anything but money related. Zip, zilch, nada. Though a part of me is morbidly curious to see how'll they'll try.

He was in the uber right? Built in excuse in their back pocket.

Reactions: Silencio

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Hit pieces in season saying Chabot is refusing to talk extension into the summer... then the narrative from that slowly changes to him looking for a big money offer sheet

Chabot is greedy and not a team player... we want to build a team without big egos

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hit pieces in season saying Chabot is refusing to talk extension into the summer... then the narrative from that slowly changes to him looking for a big money offer sheet

Chabot is greedy and not a team player... we want to build a team without big egos

“It’s not about individuals anymore, because you’re not gonna win. One player. Two players, three players in the dressing room are not gonna do it.”
Eugene Melnyk.

What this means is you play here for what we want to pay you and think is reasonable to pay you or you go elsewhere Mr. Individual.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
“It’s not about individuals anymore, because you’re not gonna win. One player. Two players, three players in the dressing room are not gonna do it.”
Eugene Melnyk.

What this means is you play here for what we want to pay you and think is reasonable to pay you or you go elsewhere Mr. Individual.

Trading EK scared me more than the idea of trading Chabot. EK had injuries and UFA working against his value. Chabot as an RFA has health, control, and the RFA compensation as a guide working for him.

I wonder how many teams there are that we wouldn’t take their last 4 1RD picks for Chabot?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Trading EK scared me more than the idea of trading Chabot. EK had injuries and UFA working against his value. Chabot as an RFA has health, control, and the RFA compensation as a guide working for him.

I wonder how many teams there are that we wouldn’t take their last 4 1RD picks for Chabot?

4 first rounders sounds great....until it becomes from a contending team and the picks are all in the 25-32 range. Then it's not so hot...

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Assuming Big Bruce is right about a Chabot extension being worked on, what are people's guesses on term? 8 x 8?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Nobody is giving up four 1st rounders. Probably a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or two 1st's, a 2nd, and 3rd.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Assuming Big Bruce is right about a Chabot extension being worked on, what are people's guesses on term? 8 x 8?
Chabot would be looking for more money I would think.

Trouba went for 7 years at 8 million after he potted his career high of 50 points last year. I know points are not how you evaluate players, especially D, but Chabot just posted 55 in only 70 games, his agent knows this.

Aho got 8.4 x 5 through an offersheet. The 5 years means he “should” be making less than on an 8 year term. Obviously the Matthews contract changed this landscape, so who knows in that regard.

Provorov’s camp is asking (won’t get) for 10 million a year, Chabot has a favourable bargaining level compared to him.

I’d think Chabot’s camp will be “asking” for 11ish over an 8 year term, but I can’t see them agreeing to terms below 9-9.5aav over an 8 year contract.

I’d expect they want what most/all high tier RFA’s are getting as well with huge % paid in bonus structure.

Reactions: Silencio

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Chabot would be looking for more money I would think.

Trouba went for 7 years at 8 million after he potted his career high of 50 points last year. I know points are not how you evaluate players, especially D, but Chabot just posted 55 in only 70 games, his agent knows this.

Aho got 8.4 x 5 through an offersheet. The 5 years means he “should” be making less than on an 8 year term. Obviously the Matthews contract changed this landscape, so who knows in that regard.

Provorov’s camp is asking (won’t get) for 10 million a year, Chabot has a favourable bargaining level compared to him.

I’d think Chabot’s camp will be “asking” for 11ish over an 8 year term, but I can’t see them agreeing to terms below 9-9.5aav over an 8 year contract.

I’d expect they want what most/all high tier RFA’s are getting as well with huge % paid in bonus structure.

I think that's fair. I would imagine Ottawa goes for 8x8. Chabots camp comes back with 11x8.

Perhaps they settle in the middle around 9-9.5?

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'll say 6 years x 10 million a year.

Honestly anything long term with an aav under 10 million is going to be considered a steal.

Unless this is all just "noise" to get our hopes up like Karlsson , Stone etc. :(

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
UFA year 2024
6 x 8.5 (2 UFA years) 6.5, 7, 8.5, 9, 10, 10 max bonus $ y1 and y2.. NTC in 2 UFA years
8 x 10 similar to above back loaded NTC thru UFA years

Not sure about the back loading. They did it for White's contract but hard to make a pattern from that.

Reactions: slamigo

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think the numbers being floated here are way over what he can get from Ottawa.
This is the Melnyk owned Ottawa Senators. I believe that the contract will be low term and fair value. It's all the team can do at this point. I don't think Melnyk is mentally prepared to pay out another Ryan level deal. My guess is the AAV will be about 7, so that will bring the term down considerably.
To be clear, I'm not saying that's what he should get. I just think the Sens are going to go for the lowest AAV possible and that will dictate the term.

Edit: Just saw SOA's post. Something like that could work where the actual paid salary ramps up after a couple of years (6.5, 7, 8.5 etc). That will allow the Sens to trade him as soon as they have to pay out the real money. Lol it hurts being a fan of this team.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He still has a year left on his contract. If we resign him can only secure him for 8 years which is one less than if we sign him at the end of the season? We can also use this year at $1 million to lower the AAV and cap hit of his deal making him more affordable at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad