News Article: Thomas Chabot is the hero Ottawa needs right now

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You’re wrong on all accounts. EK won a Norris at 21 or 22.

Well if you wanna make comparisons EK only had 32 points his first full season.

Just watch, Chabot is going to rewrite the Ottawa record books

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well if you wanna make comparisons EK only had 32 points his first full season.

Just watch, Chabot is going to rewrite the Ottawa record books
Well, if you want to do a critical comparison, and take into account league scoring rate, teams, quantifiable stats and awards etc.

Karlsson
19 year old season - 36 points in 66 NHL games
20 year old season - 45 points in 78 games. 13 more points than 3rd on team.
21 year old season - 78 points in 81 games. 18 more points then 3rd on team. Top scoring D in NHL by 25 points. 11th overall in NHL.

Thomas Chabot
19 year old season - 68 points in 54 games in QMJHL. Top D in league.
20 year old season - 25 points in 63 games.
22 year old season - 55 points in 70 games. 10th in D scoring. 88th overall in the NHL.

No clue why you’d want to do that, it doesn’t help your hot take whatsoever.

Not even counting winning the Norris, Chabot needs to lead the league in assists, lead the team in scoring by 22 points, lead league D in scoring by 26, and finish at least 3rd overall in the league in points, in order to get into the record books. 3 of those occured in a single season...

I’m Chabot’s Biggest fan, but your claims are beyond absurd.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well, if you want to do a critical comparison, and take into account league scoring rate, teams, quantifiable stats and awards etc.

Karlsson
19 year old season - 36 points in 66 NHL games
20 year old season - 45 points in 78 games. 13 more points than 3rd on team.
21 year old season - 78 points in 81 games. 18 more points then 3rd on team. Top scoring D in NHL by 25 points. 11th overall in NHL.

Thomas Chabot
19 year old season - 68 points in 54 games in QMJHL. Top D in league.
20 year old season - 25 points in 63 games.
22 year old season - 55 points in 70 games. 10th in D scoring. 88th overall in the NHL.

No clue why you’d want to do that, it doesn’t help your hot take whatsoever.

Not even counting winning the Norris, Chabot needs to lead the league in assists, lead the team in scoring by 22 points, lead league D in scoring by 26, and finish at least 3rd overall in the league in points, in order to get into the record books. 3 of those occured in a single season...

I’m Chabot’s Biggest fan, but your claims are beyond absurd.

I’ll give him a chance. I guess you’ve got it all figured out but I’ll watch the games and see what he does.

I remember being here when EK was sent to the AHL and said they should bring him back because they needed him to win and everyone was saying ‘he’s 19 years old he can’t help’ - so I’m gonna trust what my eyes tell me and you can make claims doubting an elite talent who’s already done incredible things during his career - I bet he stays incredible and you bet he turns into Jeff Petry, let’s see who’s right.

Chabots going to be a top scoring NHL Dman, I don’t know why our own fans can’t accept that

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’ll give him a chance. I guess you’ve got it all figured out but I’ll watch the games and see what he does.

I remember being here when EK was sent to the AHL and said they should bring him back because they needed him to win and everyone was saying ‘he’s 19 years old he can’t help’ - so I’m gonna trust what my eyes tell me and you can make claims doubting an elite talent who’s already done incredible things during his career - I bet he stays incredible and you bet he turns into Jeff Petry, let’s see who’s right.

Chabots going to be a top scoring NHL Dman, I don’t know why our own fans can’t accept that
Fans can accept that. What’s strange is expecting him to eclipse a season/s that has been done 1-2 times the past 30 years. That’s strange.

Said nothing about Jeff Petry, that’s just you being foolish. Quite a difference between Jeff Petry and the best season for a D in the past 30 years :laugh:

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

No is saying Chabot is going to turn into Petry. But Karlsson is a generational defenceman, who if not for injuries, would have been clearly one of the top 5 players of the decade. What you're saying is like being a Bruins fan in the early 80s and saying that Ray Bourque is going to be the greatest Bruins dman of all time.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

I remember begging here when EK was sent to the AHL and said they should bring him back because they needed him to win and everyone was saying ‘he’s 19 years old he can’t help’ - so I’m gonna trust what my eyes tell me and you can make claims based doubting an elite talent who’s already done incredible things during his career - I bet he stays incredible and you bet he turns into Jeff Petry, let’s see who’s right.

I don't think it's either Karlsson or Jeff Petry. There's a lot in the middle there.

I think Chabot projects to be a perennial all-star, scoring 55-65 points per year for a long time. But I don't think his offensive peak will be as good as Karlsson's. Hopefully he doesn't have the same bad luck with injuries.

I think people forgot how Karlsson was playing in the season pre-Cooke. He was on a generational (McDavid/Crosby) level. I look at him very much like Forsberg. A great player, HOFer, no doubt, but man, if some of those injuries didn't happen... what could have been...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Chabot for 2020 2ND OA and a prospect ?We hypothetically draft Laf and Byfield and have EB, CW, LT, JBD as PP/puck movers ?

Feels like Spezza and Chara for a nicer Yashin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad