News Article: Thomas Chabot is the hero Ottawa needs right now

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Thomas Chabot is the hero Ottawa needs right now

Right now, Chabot is on pace for 94 points, but even if he manages to finish with 80, he’ll be in outrageously elite company. According to Hockey Reference’s awesome Play Index, the list of blue-liners to post an 80-point year during or before their age-22 season (the date Hockey Reference goes by is Feb. 1 and Chabot turns 22 on Jan. 30) is limited to Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey, Denis Potvin and Brian Leetch.

Only two defencemen — Karlsson (82 in 2015–16) and Nick Lidstrom (80 in 2005–06) — have posted 80-point seasons since the 2004–05 lockout.
To be fair, John Carlson, Morgan Rielly and Brent Burns are all producing at an 80-point clip this year, but Rielly is the only one of the group even remotely close to Chabot’s age, and even he is three years the Ottawa D-man’s senior.

It always seemed crazy that Ottawa was able to draft Karlsson 15th overall in 2008. And not long after it happened, it felt nuts Chabot — the 2017 World Junior Championship MVP — went 18th overall to them in 2015. The most mind-bending aspect of all, though, is that in just his second year in the league, Chabot appears truly capable of picking up where the best version of Karlsson left off

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Chabot has replaced EK & made it so much easier for the team to move on from him. In fact, all of the new young players are playing very well & this team is much more fun & exciting to watch.

Reactions: asw

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I always thought his game was far too casual to be successful in the NHL...he proved me wrong...to think we could have had him or Karlsson on the ice for half of a game. Although he likely wouldn't be anywhere as successful without the opportunity he's been given as the #1 guy.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's been impressive no denying that.

I don't like saying that he's softened the blow on Karlsson, because we really should have been injecting talent not just replacing talent imo, but I'd be lying if there isn't a small amount of comfort there knowing he's a capable offensive driver similar to Karlsson.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Two years left on ELC! After that he will probably have to go all Nylander when Dorion offers him 3 million AAV for 6 years.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Two years left on ELC! After that he will probably have to go all Nylander when Dorion offers him 3 million AAV for 6 years.

Until a sale or proven otherwise by actions this too is my fear regarding any and all young skilled talent on the team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thomas Chabot is the hero Ottawa needs right now

Right now, Chabot is on pace for 94 points, but even if he manages to finish with 80, he’ll be in outrageously elite company. According to Hockey Reference’s awesome Play Index, the list of blue-liners to post an 80-point year during or before their age-22 season (the date Hockey Reference goes by is Feb. 1 and Chabot turns 22 on Jan. 30) is limited to Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey, Denis Potvin and Brian Leetch.

Only two defencemen — Karlsson (82 in 2015–16) and Nick Lidstrom (80 in 2005–06) — have posted 80-point seasons since the 2004–05 lockout.
To be fair, John Carlson, Morgan Rielly and Brent Burns are all producing at an 80-point clip this year, but Rielly is the only one of the group even remotely close to Chabot’s age, and even he is three years the Ottawa D-man’s senior.

It always seemed crazy that Ottawa was able to draft Karlsson 15th overall in 2008. And not long after it happened, it felt nuts Chabot — the 2017 World Junior Championship MVP — went 18th overall to them in 2015. The most mind-bending aspect of all, though, is that in just his second year in the league, Chabot appears truly capable of picking up where the best version of Karlsson left off

Is this a quote from somewhere?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I love the way he's been playing...but let's not put the weight of the franchise on his shoulders just yet. He's still working on that steak.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He’s doing so good that he’ll get a good dose of character assasination by Brucie in a couple years and some 7th d-man plug calling him a dictator in the dressing room.

Ok, I just needed to get that out of the way.

Predictable.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I love the way he's been playing...but let's not put the weight of the franchise on his shoulders just yet. He's still working on that steak.

At this point, I think we can assume he has eatin his first NHL's steak.

I saw that Stat on RDS, he was 3rd in ice time in november behind Doughty and a dman from the Stars.

Boucher is now trusting him has our #1 Dman. finally.

Reactions: coladin

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
I would not be surprise if one day our leadership group look like this :
C Tkachuk
A Chabot
A White

That's the young futur and massively already part of the present of this team.
That’s definitely the way it’s looking at the moment but things can change quickly. Hardly does it ever happen where all 3 prospects all pan out and actually end up playing together for an extended period of time. Especially in the salary cap era.

Last edited:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
That’s definitely the way it’s looking at the moment but things can change quickly. Hardly does it ever happen where all 3 prospects all pan out and actually end up playing together for an extended period of time. Especially in the Sarah cap era.
Agree, but i definitely see all of them being part of the Core, for now.

Things can change very quickly. But today, all our young player on the team are looking good and are progressing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would not be surprise if one day our leadership group look like this :
C Tkachuk
A Chabot
A White

That's the young futur and massively already part of the present of this team.

They all could be good choices for the C but really nice to have these 3 showing what they are now

Reactions: Vprime

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I always thought his game was far too casual to be successful in the NHL...he proved me wrong...to think we could have had him or Karlsson on the ice for half of a game. Although he likely wouldn't be anywhere as successful without the opportunity he's been given as the #1 guy.
I thought that too, or I more thought it could take him several years to round out his game, not in his second year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad