News Article: Thomas Chabot is the hero Ottawa needs right now

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He still has a year left on his contract. If we resign him can only secure him for 8 years which is one less than if we sign him at the end of the season? We can also use this year at $1 million to lower the AAV and cap hit of his deal making him more affordable at the end.
It would be the same, the contract wouldn’t kick in until his current contract ends. His current ELC has nothing to do with his new contract unfortunately.

Reactions: TopChed65

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Chabot would be looking for more money I would think.

Trouba went for 7 years at 8 million after he potted his career high of 50 points last year. I know points are not how you evaluate players, especially D, but Chabot just posted 55 in only 70 games, his agent knows this.

Aho got 8.4 x 5 through an offersheet. The 5 years means he “should” be making less than on an 8 year term. Obviously the Matthews contract changed this landscape, so who knows in that regard.

Provorov’s camp is asking (won’t get) for 10 million a year, Chabot has a favourable bargaining level compared to him.

I’d think Chabot’s camp will be “asking” for 11ish over an 8 year term, but I can’t see them agreeing to terms below 9-9.5aav over an 8 year contract.

I’d expect they want what most/all high tier RFA’s are getting as well with huge % paid in bonus structure.

I'll be shocked if he signs for much less than 8.5 x 5 (give or take a few 100k). I don't see the logic in him signing for less when his agent just saw a player in a comparable situation (ownership with questionable ability to spend) get that offer sheet.

A few months ago, I would have called 5 years a disaster, but so much has changed with RFAs in such a short period of time. I don't think it will be a failure to get him signed to a mid term deal. We're going to see much more of that with RFAs going forward. It's going to be the new norm and not something that we can pin on our ownership's obvious shortcomings.

9.5M on an 8 year contract would be a home run. I'm basing that on what RFAs are doing now, so even know it really is well above all the past comparable contracts for top pairing ELC defenders, even just getting Chabot cost controlled at something reasonable for 8 years would make it a huge victory. I wouldn't have said that even a few months ago, but with how much has changed, if he'll sign that the Senator should do it.

6 years makes the most sense to me as a prediction for the term if we humour Melnyk and assume spending to "near" the cap and FYOUS starting in 2021 is an actual plan. It wouldn't make much sense to risk having Chabot become a free agent during our planned window. 6 years ensures he's here for the entire window.

I'd say 6 years for a bit more than Aho signed for. There will without a doubt be signing bonuses, because the agent of a superstar isn't going to risk making his player a buyout candidate. Especially since Chabot is under 26 and without signing bonuses could be bought out for 1/3rd of whatever would be remaining on his contract. I'd be surprised if we give Chabot the full bonuses. I could see something similar to Ryan's contract where he gets around a third of his salary in bonuses every season. It would be just enough to make him buyout proof.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The outcome will be very telling about the owner's current financial state, all jokes aside there is no logical reason why Pierre and Gene wouldn't want him locked up long term, if he is not re-signed it is because the team cannot afford the market rate for a player of his caliber in todays' NHL or TC doesn't want to play in Ottawa for any number of reasons not financially related.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’ll be locked up, if I were a betting man I’d say 6 years at 9.5 million.

If he’s not signed by June 20th, he’ll be traded at the draft.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
He’ll be locked up, if I were a betting man I’d say 6 years at 9.5 million.

If he’s not signed by June 20th, he’ll be traded at the draft.

9.5 is way too much. It will depend on what he does this season, but even a 60+ point year doesn't justify him as the third highest-paid defenseman in the league.

John Carlson, Victor Hedman, Jacob Trouba and Ekman-Larsson are in the 8 million range. Chabot should fall somewhere around there, maybe 8.5.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
9.5 is way too much. It will depend on what he does this season, but even a 60+ point year doesn't justify him as the third highest-paid defenseman in the league.

John Carlson, Victor Hedman, Jacob Trouba and Ekman-Larsson are in the 8 million range. Chabot should fall somewhere around there, maybe 8.5.

Auston Matthews and his agent changed everything. Hes not a top 5 player but yet hes being paid like one. Today you pay based on potential - Chabot is definitely trending towards that upper tier of dmen, and so he is going to ask to be paid like one unless your doing short term (1 or 2 yr) contracts.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I really hope we can sign him for the full 8 years. These RFAs signing 5 year deals is a tough one for the team and I’m surprised Dubas did it with Mathews. It sucks when a player signs a deal that takes him to free agency the quickest.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Auston Matthews and his agent changed everything. Hes not a top 5 player but yet hes being paid like one. Today you pay based on potential - Chabot is definitely trending towards that upper tier of dmen, and so he is going to ask to be paid like one unless your doing short term (1 or 2 yr) contracts.

Ok but even still, Hedman and Carlson are in the upper echelon, top ten defenseman in the league. Trouba and OEL are top 15 or 20.

Even based on potential, unless Chabot breaks 70 points this year, it seems premature to expect he will be a top three defenseman in the league. I'd do 8.25 for five years, increasing .25 for every additional year, which would be 8.75 for seven, as IAmJustOne suggested, up to 9 for eight years.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think he'll go with what White just got in regards to term. 6x8.5.

An 8 year deal would probably be close to 10M.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Chabot was leading the NHL in points by a D last season before his injury. He could already be the best player Ottawa has ever had.

8 years, whatever it takes

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Whatever looks like an over payment now will be a bargain as the cap keeps rising, so who really cares what the AAV is at this point while you're so far below the cap floor. Just give the kid the keys.

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Whatever looks like an over payment now will be a bargain as the cap keeps rising, so who really cares what the AAV is at this point while you're so far below the cap floor. Just give the kid the keys.

And he seems like a leader, a player who wants the puck and wants to impact the game in every way. Leadership is underrated with Chabot. He’ll be team Canada’s #1 D come the next Olympics

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I kind of disagree. The deal Chabot gets will likely set the bar for all of our future stars. He's the best play we'll have (a top 5 in 2020 could be better and ask for more but thats 4 years from now). If Chabot takes an 8x9, then Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Batherson, Brown and anyone else will hopefully fall under or around that. Long term, having every star under 9M is huge. Leafs, for example, will have 3 @ 11M or more. Great players but that's at least 6M extra per year for another impact player/players.

At the end of the day, we need to get him signed, but we can't just give him a blank cheque.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

otown

Sep 4, 2009
What would other GM's give Chabot? This is the true measuring stick of his value? The Sens will come in low, piss his agent off and then he is outta here!

Dorion and Melnyk can't screw this one up or there won't be a fan base!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I kind of disagree. The deal Chabot gets will likely set the bar for all of our future stars. He's the best play we'll have (a top 5 in 2020 could be better and ask for more but thats 4 years from now). If Chabot takes an 8x9, then Tkachuk, Brannstrom, Batherson, Brown and anyone else will hopefully fall under or around that. Long term, having every star under 9M is huge. Leafs, for example, will have 3 @ 11M or more. Great players but that's at least 6M extra per year for another impact player/players.

At the end of the day, we need to get him signed, but we can't just give him a blank cheque.
I get that. I don't mean a blank cheque necessarily, but I think they have to give what the market dictates he's worth and should just go ahead and do it. No other option. They can't lose this guy and the Senators don't get to set the market and there's no hometown discounts anymore.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Excited to read future Garrioch articles about how he didn't wanna be here and wouldnt accept "fair value". I have very low hopes that they sign him if he truly is seeking what hes worth.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Chabot was leading the NHL in points by a D last season before his injury. He could already be the best player Ottawa has ever had.

8 years, whatever it takes

Just a few years ago we had a defenseman who put up a point per game and won the Norris at the same age that Chabot was last season... so it’ll take a bit before he’s the best player Ottawa has ever had.

I’m a big Chabot fan, but it’ll be interesting to see how he does this year. Offensively, he certainly benefitted from Stone and Duchene, especially on the PP. But his offence tailed off as the season went on.

I don’t think he’ll ever put up Karlsson in his prime numbers, but I think he can be that 55-65 point guy who runs the cleanest breakout in the league.

So yes, whatever it takes. I just don’t know if the incentive is there for Chabot to sign long term, with the state this franchise is in.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just a few years ago we had a defenseman who put up a point per game and won the Norris at the same age that Chabot was last season... so it’ll take a bit before he’s the best player Ottawa has ever had.

I’m a big Chabot fan, but it’ll be interesting to see how he does this year. Offensively, he certainly benefitted from Stone and Duchene, especially on the PP. But his offence tailed off as the season went on.

I don’t think he’ll ever put up Karlsson in his prime numbers, but I think he can be that 55-65 point guy who runs the cleanest breakout in the league.

So yes, whatever it takes. I just don’t know if the incentive is there for Chabot to sign long term, with the state this franchise is in.

I could see Chabot put up 80 points next year.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He finished 10th in NHL scoring and only played 70 games in his first full season. He’ll be a top 3 scoring Dman this season, 75 points.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I could see Chabot put up 80 points next year.

Only 2 defenseman currently playing in the NHL have ever put up 80 points in a season - Karlsson and Burns. In the history of the league, it’s happened 65 times. 30 of those times it was done by Orr, Coffey or Bourque. Only 22 guys have ever done it.

I feel like we were spoiled watching Karlsson such a short time ago, but the chances Chabot ever does it are small. The odds that a team drafts 2 defenseman who do what only 22 players in the history of the league have ever done in the span of 8 years is very unlikely.

Chabot finished with 55 points. Getting an extra 25 is a lot.

If he scores 55-60 points for the next 8 years he’ll be a perennial all-star, and we should pay him whatever. Let’s just hope he does that. Projecting him as a hall of famer at this point is a bit much.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He finished 10th in NHL scoring and only played 70 games in his first full season. He’ll be a top 3 scoring Dman this season, 75 points.

Players don’t always improve exponentially. Scoring 55 points in a rookie season is great, but it doesn’t mean there is a 50% increase coming.

Look at other young stars.

75 points would be a better offensive season than 19 of 20 of Nik Lidstrom’s years.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And he seems like a leader, a player who wants the puck and wants to impact the game in every way. Leadership is underrated with Chabot. He’ll be team Canada’s #1 D come the next Olympics
Ya he gives me some vibes of being a certain type of leader that I like. Sort of like Alfie in a sense. Calm, cool and collected with swagger, while not saying a ton or being too in your face. Everyone's ready to hand the keys to Tkachuk, but he reminds me of the ra ra, gotta be a man's man 110% of the time annoying a holes I've played with before. Dominate a room even though everyone can't stand you. Not saying that's what he is, just the impression he's given me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad