News Article: Thomas Chabot is the hero Ottawa needs right now

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Cowens hype was based around the NHL scouts obession with size and physical play. That's not to say he was bad but he wasn't someone I would have picked in the top 10.

That's some revisionist history. The guy was looking like a top-three pick before injuries hit. The guy is probably still a solid-middle pairing guy if not for those hip issues that plagued his career.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
That's some revisionist history. The guy was looking like a top-three pick before injuries hit. The guy is probably still a solid-middle pairing guy if not for those hip issues that plagued his career.

He definitely looked good. Especially in his rookie season but a top 3 pick for a shutdown dman?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He definitely looked good. Especially in his rookie season but a top 3 pick for a shutdown dman?

Well he wasn't viewed as "just" a shutdown defenceman at that point in time, the league also hadn't moved towards the offensive/speed game quite like it has now, so it looked like he could carve out a role. He was absolutely slated to go even higher in that draft, but a knee injury dropped him down a few spots. Half of this very board was elated he fell into our laps, which should say something about how highly he was rated.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don’t know about you, but I don’t like the media praising Chabot for blocking 8 shots last game.

That’s not a good sign for the team or his health.

Reactions: Que

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am feeling the power of resurrection.

Ok so Chabot ... what's he going to get as an RFA. Will the Sens push the pebble down the road or will they bite the bullet and sign him early. MacAvoy is up for a deal as well. Both players have had tremendous starts.

Big telling moves coming soon to the Ottawa Senators.. They want a glimmer of hope to get the fans back, how they handle getting their kids under contract when they are due or before they risk losing them all together is going to be huge imo.

Karlson and Stone ..Gigantic losses.
Duchene trade and then .., "We are rebuilding :)" with no 1st (top 4 btw)
Boedker for Hoffman
Waive Smith ... no takers. to the 1st line you go.

They have to do something very positive ,, no room for sour feelings, with the kids

Reactions: Variable26

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Ok so Chabot ... what's he going to get as an RFA. Will the Sens push the pebble down the road or will they bite the bullet and sign him early. MacAvoy is up for a deal as well. Both players have had tremendous starts.

Big telling moves coming soon to the Ottawa Senators.. They want a glimmer of hope to get the fans back, how they handle getting their kids under contract when they are due or before they risk losing them all together is going to be huge imo.

Boedker for Hoffman

They have to do something very positive ,, no room for sour feelings, with the kids

They are going to delay this as long as they possibly can.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Boedker for Hoffman

They’ll certainly “take a run” at signing him

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If he isn't signed during the season, he's going to get an offersheet with a ton of money upfront. That is virtually a guarantee, in my opinion.

I'm not sure he's worth 4 1sts, but someone will try to get him for 8.4 million and only give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If he isn't signed during the season, he's going to get an offersheet with a ton of money upfront. That is virtually a guarantee, in my opinion.

I'm not sure he's worth 4 1sts, but someone will try to get him for 8.4 million and only give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

The other problem being if we are heading for a lockout in the fall of 2020, Melnyk sure as hell won't be matching any offer sheets with massive up-front bonuses.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They are going to delay this as long as they possibly can.

I think Chabot has more reason to delay.

Chabot could miss the entire year with a bad case of mono and I don't think it has a huge drag on his next deal

Chabot could post 70 points. If he does he's putting more money in his pocket

This might very well take some time. But it's more in Chabot's interest than the team's interest to let it play out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad