Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I thought it was interesting last night in the GDT when everyone piled on Wolanin on what I think was the 4th goal. I haven't gone back to look back at it but there were some way bigger issues than Wolanin on how that play developed and I don't I saw even one person comment on it.

Most of the time when a goal is scored, it is the result of several things happening. This goal happened because :

- Leafs have their bench near the OZ for that period, they make a quick effective line change
- Wolanin doesn't realize Leafs are changing and a player gets behind him, which creates a 3-on-2
- Batherson and Gudbranson kinda cover the same player for some reason
- Gudbranson should have played the pass better so Hogberg could play the shot.

Wolanin certainly deserves some blame for not being more aware of his surroundings. He just seems a bit bad lucked though because every little mistake from him (or a teammate) ends up in the back of the net. I have seen him make a lot of good plays but he has been glorified negatively because of the goals against. Let's see if it balances out a bit more evenly through the season

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I thought it was interesting last night in the GDT when everyone piled on Wolanin on what I think was the 4th goal. I haven't gone back to look back at it but there were some way bigger issues than Wolanin on how that play developed and I don't I saw even one person comment on it.

3rd goal Engvall Kerfoot got behind Wolanin ; Brodie put a pass up the boards to Kerfoot; Wolanin tried to cut it off and missed .. pass went to Kerfoot who had a pretty clear path for a shot.. Gudbranson was kind of caught flat footed and let his man go to cut some of Kerfoots space; when he did that Kerfoot passed it to Engvall.
Have to wonder how much talking is going on out there.. In the GDTs the mistakes are microscoped we get 15 ... what are you doing Wolanin posts and then its concluded he had a bad game lol.. He needs the reps for the game to slow down for him again. He'll need to wait his turn now I guess.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Got that right! :thumbu:

Captain Chabot :stanley:

Assistant to the Captain...

tenor.gif

Reactions: Back in Black

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Chabot has had a real rough go this year so far. Offensive numbers are totally down while being asked to do too much defensively. Is this Chabot's final form?

heart of a lion. Love him. His intensity is Chara, Redden and EK like.

put him back with Zub

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Chabot has been fine & clearly plays better with a very good defensive partner. The offence will come, but more importantly is improving on the other 5 or 6 D. Wouldn't mind seeing JBD again or Thomson. Also nice to see them finally name Tkachuk captain.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chabot has had a real rough go this year so far. Offensive numbers are totally down while being asked to do too much defensively. Is this Chabot's final form?

Bench him?

Not sure what you see when you have those guys chasing that little black thing around the ice on the tube

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
30 min a night Chabot doesn’t beat opposing dman off the rush … his PP goal scoring is virtually irrelevant…

Solution - Brann is the better distributor and shooter - give him 2/3’s of PP1 time and cut Chabot another 2-3 min a game.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Chabot has been fine & clearly plays better with a very good defensive partner. The offence will come, but more importantly is improving on the other 5 or 6 D. Wouldn't mind seeing JBD again or Thomson. Also nice to see them finally name Tkachuk captain.
His Team Canada spot is in question right now after being considered a lock all summer. Can't say that's good news at this time..

Pietrangelo, Makar, Doughty, Ekblad, Theodore, and Pelech.

Might squeak in as a 7th/8th, but that's pretty disappointing.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO the solution, hopefully comes next yr with a 2nd pairing of Sanderson & JBD. This yr could be a write off, there are 16 players in this org right now injured or on Covid protocal. That would affect any team & it affects this team more because they are young & lacking in good depth at the AHL level which has also been decimated with injuries.

Ottawa has an entire line from Belleville & Belleville has about 6 to 8 ECHL players on their roster. It's a hard steep hill to climb with a young team in the NHL, it's nearly an impossible task to do it with 4 to 6 regulars out of the lineup on a nightly basis. And that doesn't account for the constant rotating of goalies & the defence this yr.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
His Team Canada spot is in question right now after being considered a lock all summer. Can't say that's good news at this time..

I don't think so. I think it's quite obvious what Chabot has been doing & playing so much due to the insurmountable circumstances surrounding the team & most NHL excutives know what is going on with other teams, they talk all the time.

First they are young & rebuilding so he has to make up for that by playing big minutes.

Second, this org has 16 players injured or on Covid protocal meaning they have a number of minor league players in the lineup or on the roster. No team can sustain that for very long especially a young inexperienced team, they are learning the hard way.

Third, they are constantly rotating goalies & defencemen in & out of the lineup disturbing any cohesiveness. Besides the top pairing on D & the top forward line the rest of the team has been constantly rearranged with guys going in & out of the lineup with a lot of new faces. And recently they just moved Chabot with Zaitsev & we all know people's opinion on Zaitsev this yr.

And fourth, most analysts have Ottawa as a bubble team this yr & not making the playoffs with a full NHL roster so I'm not sure how they could make the playoffs with a number of AHL players.

Fifth, Chabot has plenty of game film available & plays a lot of minutes & he's one of the best skaters on defence in the NHL. If they place him with a good two way defenceman not only will he be fine, but IMO he will excel on a great team of players. IMO he has Norris Trophy capabilities & skillset.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

Chabot’s spot has never been a lock. He’s always been considered a guy that could make it but could always very well be left out due to Canada’s depth at LD. Nothing has changed since this summer and no one knows who is on the outside looking in at this point. At least do a little bit of research if you want your gaslighting to be somewhat credible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad