Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How are people feeling about Chabot's game right now? Obviously early, but he hasn't looked like a game breaker recently to me.
Lots of mistakes that are on him. It’s easy to say it’s because of lack of skill around him but sometimes that’s not the case. I find him pretty sloppy honestly that’s the word. Sloppy

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How are people feeling about Chabot's game right now? Obviously early, but he hasn't looked like a game breaker recently to me.
The guy is a gifted skater & offensive point producer, but at the same time he takes way too many risks with the puck & is brutal defensively. I like his game a lot better when he is paired with Gudbranson than Zaitsev although Zaitsev it must be said is having a decent yr so far, so playing with either of these guys depending on the situation can work. They need to move the puck quicker as a team & make quicker decisions with & without the puck & get the puck out when you have the opportunity to do so. They could also try to be less nifty with the puck & make the safer play, they have too many passengers on most nights & get called on too many soft cheap penalties. Having said all that, they are a last place team playing like a last place team making mistakes at the worse times.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Aside from our pal Nick Paul very few players have brought what we'd call an A game every game.

Regarding Chabot.. My thoughts; 2 things
1. He plays a lot of minutes and is in my view our best player and if we are going to stick with someone finding their game its him.
2. I think he got banged up in training camp and its hampering him a bit. He just isn't as dynamic or driving play like we know he can.. I think we see a difference soon.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
He’s looking really damn rough but it’s waaaay too early in the season. I think it’s just a lack of support, he’s the only defenseman capable of breaking the puck out. Other teams are totally focused on putting pressure on him.
He’s also not really a superstar, just a solid number 1 d.

Reactions: Alfie11 and Emrasie

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
He's looked terrible tbh. I like him as a player and think he will get better, although I do find him a tad overrated.

Reactions: Puikiou

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My son goes nuts when Watson makes a mistake, but hushes me down when I get mad at Chabot lol. My point to him is " Watson is a plug, mistakes are part of that level of player. Chabot is an 8yr 64M franchise player. He has to be better."

I think I have found something very worrisome about his game, and I hope I am wrong, but it seems to me that he is the last Senator you want on the ice when you are a goal down. He has some 65 tendencies, a couple of the good, but lately seems to inheriting more of the bad, and not sure if the coaches are letting him know properly.

He is a turnover, jittery machine when we are a goal down. He is like a young Alfie, a guy who cares too much and tries too hard. I am hoping he figures out that sometimes more is less

Reactions: aragorn and Alfie11

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Man, I must be on a different planet, because I just don't see Chabot warranting any of the criticism directed at him.

Yes, Chabot isn't "perfect", but the criticism is so vanilla that I feel like people forget that EVERYONE turns over the puck.

I think Chabot's only bad game so far was game 1 against Toronto.

Chabot has never had a decent partner to play with in his time with Ottawa. He actually looks great with Zaitsev this season, but whenever he is stuck carrying Gudbranson, well... there is only so much you can do.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Emerica

May 29, 2010
My son goes nuts when Watson makes a mistake, but hushes me down when I get mad at Chabot lol. My point to him is " Watson is a plug, mistakes are part of that level of player. Chabot is an 8yr 64M franchise player. He has to be better."

I think I have found something very worrisome about his game, and I hope I am wrong, but it seems to me that he is the last Senator you want on the ice when you are a goal down. He has some 65 tendencies, a couple of the good, but lately seems to inheriting more of the bad, and not sure if the coaches are letting him know properly.

He is a turnover, jittery machine when we are a goal down. He is like a young Alfie, a guy who cares too much and tries too hard. I am hoping he figures out that sometimes more is less
Chabot also has the puck on his stick a whole lot more than Watson does. Its only common sense that he’ll turn it over more often.

I do agree he has to be better, much better, but some players are going to turn the puck over because they take more chances and create more than others, its really that simple. Those guys can be excused easier than the others imo.

I can guarantee some people will complain about Stutzle turnovers as well once the honeymoon phase is over but as they say, no risk it no buiscuit.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
I think Chabot is definitely suffering from trying to do too much. It's a tough situation because he's doing what you want and that's to put forth a strong effort. At the same time, the team is not going to have success if he doesn't play smart and in the teams system.

He's been here for a while and is probably sick of losing. He's also one of the teams only players that can make a real impact. Another reason the team needs to get through this rebuild shortly. Some of the young guys may develop bad habits out of pressing to get wins.

Getting him a legit partner would be a good start.

Reactions: swiftwin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Prophetic. As I stated yesterday, he gets one goal down, and there he is. And he didn't see the ice for some time after. Just not good enough, and his gaffes from the Winnipeg, they just don't get corrected with him, and maybe with the coaches sitting him will make him realize he has to be better, focussed and determined.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I wasn't worried until his putrid performance yesterday. When he was behind the net and a forechecker that was at a standstill decided to chase him to get him out of there, Chabot stumbled and turned the puck over. That used to be his bread and butter, getting a forechecker to bite and blowing him out the wind. I found that odd. Then the turnover right in front of Murray that caused a goal against. A year ago he would have dangled the player that was trying to pressure him, or feathered a pass to an open man. He's playing like everyone here thought Kleven played when we drafted him...

Anyways, if anyone can turn it around it's him. I'm confident that he will.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It feels like he hasn't adjusted his play to the rust. Assumes that he will be able to easily shake off tight checkers and then fumbles performing moves he can normally do in his sleep. Now defenders are exploiting the vulnerability, recognizing he is "easy pickings", the last thing I ever expected out of Chabot. It doesn't help he is the only threat the forecheckers have to worry about.

Chabot needs to turn this around. Start by taking a step back and making safe plays, as his form returns he can calibrate accordingly.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ottawa’s boards and out game, it’s hard for him to look good. He has shifts he looks amazing and shifts he looks like Brian Lee.

I love his spirit and compete, he just needs to find a smoother rhythm, his game right now has the will he just needs to make a few more passes and things will turn around quickly

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Its hard for me to blame Chabot or his play given the rest of our D. I think the pressure of being the only puck mover and capable passer is getting to him.

Reactions: Back in Black

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Chabot's been playing great. Thread deserves a bump.

Chabot graduated in 2017-18, so at the same time the team took a nose dive. The fact that he is seen as a great player despite playing on a bottom-2 team the whole time is very encouraging

Can't wait to have better players surround him. Sanderson, Brannstrom, Zub, JBD, etc behind him will make his life easier and when the forward group matures with also a few more coming (Formenton, Pinto, etc), it will also help him a lot.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Chabot's been playing great. Thread deserves a bump.

Really? To me its one of the worst stretches I've seen him play.

Coughing up the puck and skating into trouble and taking penalties. To me he looks like a player thats trying too hard to help the team and its consequently backfiring.

He obviously gets the benefit of the doubt but im befuddled by your claim FLQ.

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Really? To me its one of the worst stretches I've seen him play.

Coughing up the puck and skating into trouble and taking penalties. To me he looks like a player thats trying too hard to help the team and its consequently backfiring.

He obviously gets the benefit of the doubt but im befuddled by your claim FLQ.

i have corrected my projection for him; I do t think he’ll be a Doughty/Keith level Dman. I think. He’s more McCavoy/ Redden level.

so instead of a HOF I think he’s an All-Star

Reactions: Alfie11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad