Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
He's been pretty bad. I found that not only does he make lots of mistakes, but he comes across as weak on the puck to me. I've seen him get pushed off the puck so many times. Could be a strength issue after the long layoff but it is pretty concerning.
This is my Exact assessment. Soft play and a lot of mistakes... No where near his price tag.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A problem there is in GDTs is the direct blaming game without analyzing plays/goals against. Personally, I record all the games on PVR and use rewind for every sequence that I want to analyze deeper.

I have seen some blame on Chabot for the 2nd GA but if you look at the replay, Anisimov (who actually made a nice pass) glides towards the Leafs net despite 2 Sens players already right in front. Since he was the one making the pass to Chabot, he was aware that 2 + 1 = 3 so he has to take Chabot's spot right away in case the puck goes back the other way. The delay before realizing the situation plus his way below average skating resulted in an odd-man rush. Zaitsev's move was easy to predict which allowed Boyd to be alone with the goalie, easy goal.

Basically, Chabot should know that he can't attempt to score when Anisimov or Stepan are on the ice. And well, I don't dislike Zaitsev but he's no Methot

Reactions: SensontheRush

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chabot stepped up huge when we needed. Guy is really good. Still makes couple boneheaded plays but his composure and calming ability/leading is what easily stands out and makes him a difference maker.

Champ.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He was trying to force things and do it all himself at times, but i think as the team overall improves we'll see him settle in and provide more even play.

imagine he was playing for Boston or Tampa and his team had the puck all the time and he could dangle and support the play. He’d be in top 5 scoring for NHL Dman.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Saw him skate back and easily strip McDavid of the puck on a semi-breakaway.
Can’t believe we locked him up for the future.
He will be amazing for many years to come.

Reactions: guyzeur

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Still a lot in his game I don’t like. Hope he keeps working at it and doesn’t plateau here.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Chabot is only gonna get stronger and better, but at the same time dont compare him to the offensive defenceman we had before him because that wouldn't be fair to him.
Ya, that Karlasson guy had star players surround him like Chara, Stone, Alfredsson, Pageau, Methot, Duschene, Phillips, NEIL, ect....

Not quite the same support for Chabot.

Reactions: NyQuil

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Ya, that Karlasson guy had star players surround him like Chara, Stone, Alfredsson, Pageau, Methot, Duschene, Phillips, NEIL, ect....

Not quite the same support for Chabot.

Even tho I know you mean Matt, my brain is like 'Steve didn't play with Chabot!!!'

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
This team is all about Chabot and Stutzle

If Norris and Formenton also hit their potential, will easily overtake Tkachuk

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Formentons potential since his draft has been a 3rd liner who potentially plays on the 2nd line

I think Formenton's potential is 25-20 (getting around 5 SH goals a season).

With that production and the speed and edge he provides will be amazing and someone I would definitely want as a part of this core

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
The thing that is the hardest to make my mind up about regarding Chabot is if he should get the C. While I agree with the sentiment that the team seems to sink or swim on his play he doesn't seem to outwardly project leadership in the way that I want and he isn't nearly as dominant as say Toews was when he was named captain (who i guess would be the closest comparable as a quiet captain). Obviously this is something that is really hard to pick up on as a viewer but when I watch Tkachuk on the ice and on the bench he seems to exude confidence and leadership. Chucky seems to embody what the team wants to be in a way that Chabot doesn't.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Like Mcguire basically said this morning
Would be a star on a contender playing 22 min instead of 30
I bet he wins a Norris when we compete in ..... years

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
A problem there is in GDTs is the direct blaming game without analyzing plays/goals against. Personally, I record all the games on PVR and use rewind for every sequence that I want to analyze deeper.

I have seen some blame on Chabot for the 2nd GA but if you look at the replay, Anisimov (who actually made a nice pass) glides towards the Leafs net despite 2 Sens players already right in front. Since he was the one making the pass to Chabot, he was aware that 2 + 1 = 3 so he has to take Chabot's spot right away in case the puck goes back the other way. The delay before realizing the situation plus his way below average skating resulted in an odd-man rush. Zaitsev's move was easy to predict which allowed Boyd to be alone with the goalie, easy goal.

Basically, Chabot should know that he can't attempt to score when Anisimov or Stepan are on the ice. And well, I don't dislike Zaitsev but he's no Methot
I thought it was interesting last night in the GDT when everyone piled on Wolanin on what I think was the 4th goal. I haven't gone back to look back at it but there were some way bigger issues than Wolanin on how that play developed and I don't I saw even one person comment on it.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad