THN Draft Preview 2007?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I'm going to check Borders tommorrow, but I won't get my hopes up that it will be there. But i'm sure there will be 100's of home remodeling how to mags.

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com
To everyone in the New York city area:

Check Hudson News. I picked mine up tonight at the one in the main lobby of Grand Central Station. Of course it was buried behind a bunch of other magazines, but it was there.

It's not bad although I wish they would go a little more in-depth. I thought last year's was better.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I hope they go back to the normal issues instead of glossy magazines for the draft previews.

They had much more info on each prospect.

kylaf66

Jun 16, 2005
where can i find it on zinio? i have a digital subscription and everything and its still not showing up.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I hope they go back to the normal issues instead of glossy magazines for the draft previews.

They had much more info on each prospect.
The natural progression seems to be heading towards less than more. While I don't see how they could get much less than the current issue and still call it a Draft Preview, I guess it's entirely possible that they'll just abandon the project entirely? :dunno:

Kinda sad, though... there's a niche there for somebody to fill and compete with them, IMHO. Duff88 or some folks here could take their prospect rankings and reviews, whip them into a desktop publisher, and come out with a better product than THN. And by default be the best $5-or-so Draft Preview on the market.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I picked it up....but I hop ethat is not the issue everyone is talking about. It has Erik Johnson on the cover, and had a 2 page layout on the 07 draft with an article about Voracek? Is that the same issue, or is this something different?

Chiclets24

Apr 12, 2004
no that is not the issue.

I live in NYC, will check Grand Central Station this afternoon - if not there, I suggest everyone checks out the Penn Station station at MSG - they always have it first.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
I picked it up....but I hop ethat is not the issue everyone is talking about. It has Erik Johnson on the cover, and had a 2 page layout on the 07 draft with an article about Voracek? Is that the same issue, or is this something different?

That is the future watch not the draft preview.

Word

Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm going to check Borders tommorrow, but I won't get my hopes up that it will be there. But i'm sure there will be 100's of home remodeling how to mags.

Did they have it? I have to travel 60 miles to get a copy of it and you would save me some time and gas :)

TheTruth

May 15, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I was really disappointed in this year's edition. As others have noted, there were a lot of errors. For example, Dallas defence prospect Ivan Vishnevsky is described as a "gritty forward" by the regular Stars team contributor :shakehead

I found the team reports to be really formulaic and repetitive, especially in the scouting section. For almost every team they write something like "in the new NHL era, the focus has shifted from drafting bigger players to more skilled ones, with size seen as less of an impediment."

Kind of O/T, but I ALMOST considered not renewing my subscription. I think THN's quality has declined steadily. Although a large part of that is my utter disrespect for Ken Campbell's supposed journalistic abilities, I usually find his columns laughable.

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com
I was really disappointed in this year's edition. As others have noted, there were a lot of errors. For example, Dallas defence prospect Ivan Vishnevsky is described as a "gritty forward" by the regular Stars team contributor :shakehead

I found the team reports to be really formulaic and repetitive, especially in the scouting section. For almost every team they write something like "in the new NHL era, the focus has shifted from drafting bigger players to more skilled ones, with size seen as less of an impediment."

Kind of O/T, but I ALMOST considered not renewing my subscription. I think THN's quality has declined steadily. Although a large part of that is my utter disrespect for Ken Campbell's supposed journalistic abilities, I usually find his columns laughable.

Another couple of things..how come they don't mention the players that each team would be interested in for the team preview? They pretty much just give the positions they need, I'd like to at least see them mention a few good fits for each team.

And it seems dumb that they list the pick and the "best picks of the last 20 years at that spot" for teams like the Isles and Stars and Devils and teams that don't havea 1st rounder.

TheTruth

May 15, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Another couple of things..how come they don't mention the players that each team would be interested in for the team preview? They pretty much just give the positions they need, I'd like to at least see them mention a few good fits for each team.

And it seems dumb that they list the pick and the "best picks of the last 20 years at that spot" for teams like the Isles and Stars and Devils and teams that don't havea 1st rounder.

Yeah, the "what to expect" from certain draft positions was a total oxymoron. Each year and each player is different, not to mention the team drafting from that slot. History doesn't reliably indicate anything in that case. My advice: Unless you're a subscriber, don't waste your money on this piece of trash. Actually calling it a piece of trash would be an insult to trash itself...

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
The only thing that disapoints me about this magazine is that this year's ranked 31-50 players are all bunched up on only 2 pages which sucks........there is very little writeup on these players....really about 10 words on each. Last year they still did the same size writeups for the prospects all the way through 50.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
The only thing that disapoints me about this magazine is that this year's ranked 31-50 players are all bunched up on only 2 pages which sucks........there is very little writeup on these players....really about 10 words on each. Last year they still did the same size writeups for the prospects all the way through 50.

but they were even so much better before last year.

They used to have write ups down the page for each of the top 60 prospects. And it actually gave us useful info about the prospects.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
but they were even so much better before last year.

They used to have write ups down the page for each of the top 60 prospects. And it actually gave us useful info about the prospects.

I dont really remember back before 2005 how they did it....in 2005 though they had the regular hockey news issue and just put the top 50 with writeups much like last year and last year and this years writeups are much longer then the ones from the 2005 issue. Last years had the top 50 with long writeups in the magazine type issue which is my favourite one theyve done. this years would be great but they skimped on the 31-50 prospects.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I dont really remember back before 2005 how they did it....in 2005 though they had the regular hockey news issue and just put the top 50 with writeups much like last year and last year and this years writeups are much longer then the ones from the 2005 issue. Last years had the top 50 with long writeups in the magazine type issue which is my favourite one theyve done. this years would be great but they skimped on the 31-50 prospects.

The writeups are getting shorter to the point of ridiculousness. I wish they would cut out the team pages (which say the same things every year) and give us more information about the actual prospects. Why can't they do the top 100 in at least as much detail as the top 30? My only reason for ever purchasing The Hockey News is fading a bit each year.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
The writeups are getting shorter to the point of ridiculousness. I wish they would cut out the team pages (which say the same things every year) and give us more information about the actual prospects. Why can't they do the top 100 in at least as much detail as the top 30? My only reason for ever purchasing The Hockey News is fading a bit each year.

I'm not sure why they couldnt have one issue a year 100% prospect scouting reports......i suppose its because there arent enough people who are strictly interested in prospects.

Chiclets24

Apr 12, 2004
...how frickin tired is everyone of seeing the same damn brady quinn cover followed by the erik johnson tease - which for a SECOND...looks like it MAY be IT...

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Nothing much new to add, but I'm still pissed so here it is. Terrible issue. There are about 50 words about most prospects, which is ridiculous. They used to have great, in depth reports about the top 60, now they have barely anything about even the top 10. And the team reports are kind of pointless. Every team needs the same thing: a good player. Having a full page for each team makes no sense. I wish they would just have full scouting reports about the top 100 prospects. And why is Staal on the cover? A cheap gimmick to sell a crappy product?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
if a bunch of us angrily wrote THN about the Draft Preview and how crappy it's getting each year..do you think it'd do anything?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
if a bunch of us angrily wrote THN about the Draft Preview and how crappy it's getting each year..do you think it'd do anything?

the more the merrier...uh I mean the more the better.

THN needs better competition to wake up! (to give us hockey fans what we deserve...more quality/quantity info on top 60 or better yet...top 100 prospects).

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site

I wrote them and the editor sent me back a letter apologizing and saying that they planned to knock out the team pages in favor of more prospect reports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad