THN Draft Preview 2007?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i got mine...

cant say im impressed... the articles are ok im sure, but the in depth read up on many of the top 30 are just too short to tell you what the hell they are about.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not a subscriber, but I'm planning on ordering this issue. However the THN web-site has the OT issue up for sale. Does anyone know anywhere else that I could buy it on-line and if it's out there???

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I'm not too impressed with the issue either. The team reports seem to be a lot of fluff and there isn't a tremendous amount of information given on the prospects.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
yeah, like I said earlier there isn't much info on alot of the prospects.

Honestly, I loved what they had going in the '01,'02,'03,and '04 draft previews.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
Anyone read the Oscar Moller write-up?

Alot of it doesn't make sense. One anonymous scout says he's a big kid (his profile just three iches over lists him at 5'10 182) then like two paragraphs later another scout says he's like Zach Hamill - not that big.

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
I'll never order another thing from THN online. I ordered the future watch a few days after it came out and got it in the mail Friday. Way too long a delay.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

My mail truck is at my mailbox..

It better be in there when I get out there.

EDIT:

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's like they've decided in the last few years that they can slack off. The 05 preview was for the Crosby draft, and it was the last one that was actually in a regular THN issue, so I wonder if they got lazy and figured "everyone only cares about Crosby, and they'll be so desperate to read anything that we can slack off".

This years and last years reek of "oooh, we'll throw a glossy magazine at them and they'll be so overjoyed that they won't notice that each prospct gets a tiny paragraph instead of an entire column."

There are lots of mistakes and stupid comments too. I mean, just looking at the future watch and other prospect rankings you can get a sense of what a team has and needs, then their team analyses go out and say that Team X needs a player type that they have in spades.

I wish they'd go back to the future watch of a few years ago. Having whole columns down the page for each prospect was nice, and the team reports actually felt like someone took the time to think about the info.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
That's it... Never again.... THN has never been the same since McKenzie left and they haven't found anyone to right the ship. Its as if they are not even trying.

HEY THN... WHO DO THEY THINK READS YOUR MAGAZINE - "MILDLY INTERESTED" HOCKEY FANS?

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Hmm, I'm not feeling the love for THN right now. Still, I am compelled to buy it even though I suspect any of the mock drafts on this board will be more useful to me.

Anyone seen in Toronto seen it at the newstand yet?

Igor55

Nov 11, 2005
ANybody in the US got it yet at a Barnes and Noble or newstand of any kind. I havent found it yet, starting to get worried I never will find it......

Chiclets24

Apr 12, 2004
College student in NYC here - I checked today, nothing doing.
I believe some places will receive it Monday the 21st -
However, I'm circling WEDNESDAY the 23rd as the surefire date.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
I got this magazine on Zinio today and I have today say it is a total waste of 5 bucks. Next to no info on anyone outside the top 30, and they don't even post stats for anyone outside the top 50. I have bought every Draft Preview since 1987 and this is by far the worst I have ever seen. If I wanted to go look up all the stats myself, I would have saved my money and done it. Thanks THN, for selling precious advertising space in lieu of putting the actual information I thought I was paying for in your magazine.:rant:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I got this magazine on Zinio today and I have today say it is a total waste of 5 bucks. Next to no info on anyone outside the top 30, and they don't even post stats for anyone outside the top 50. I have bought every Draft Preview since 1987 and this is by far the worst I have ever seen. If I wanted to go look up all the stats myself, I would have saved my money and done it. Thanks THN, for selling precious advertising space in lieu of putting the actual information I thought I was paying for in your magazine.:rant:

Wow, I haven't gotten a draft preview for about 2 years, and I was going to order it on-line this year, but now that there isn't even stats for players out-side of the top 50??? And hearing what many others have said, they can keep their magazine, and I'll keep my $. What a joke :shakehead :rant:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Wow, I haven't gotten a draft preview for about 2 years, and I was going to order it on-line this year, but now that there isn't even stats for players out-side of the top 50??? And hearing what many others have said, they can keep their magazine, and I'll keep my $. What a joke :shakehead :rant:
I'm guessing they must really be re-positioning themselves to target the very casual fan - the kind who would probably never show up on these boards. Most fans here could write more meaningful commentary on the players just by regurgitation or hearsay. In fact, a number of fans here do provide their lists and comments and mocks, some with considerably more than regurgitation and hearsay to go on, and I'd say you can get a large number of more insightful rankings here for free than buying THN's Draft Preview.

Anyway, I'm not saying I blame THN. They've clearly identified a market, and they are pretty much the only player in that market AFAIK. A glossy mag with quick descriptions of the top 30 prospects, one-liners about the next 20. And a recap of cliches and their Future Watch rankings on the teams. I still think it's worth the $5. More as something to put in "the archives" and peek back at a decade from now, though, not something that really provides anything useful in terms of preparing for the draft this year.

There are a growing number of other services now positioning themselves in the more detailed draft preview market, so it's probably sensible that THN doesn't even vaguely try to compete, just provides something for the majority of hockey fans who would never dream of buying one of the bigger scouting service draft issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad