THN: Coyotes to Seattle this Summer? UPD: Healy - Jul2 for COG, or it's Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'm not sure if it's dirty politics. It's just the reality of the business.

The language thing is a big issue, and pretending it isnt doesnt serve anyone well. It effects the marketability of the product outside quebec, it effects which national and international sponsors are going to be willing to work with the team.

The Canadian vs American market, and size of market, are also important. The NHL's path to revenue expansion lies in the USA national tv contract. Adding a 7th (winnipeg) or 8th (quebec, especially) NHL team in canada isnt going to significantly effect the amount of people watching HNIC or NHL on TSN. Sure, they'll get great TV ratings in their own markets, but that's revenue going to the individual teams, not to all teams.

Absolutely Winnipeg was a last resort. There were no other potential buyers and/or markets. Atlanta ownership wanted out but wasnt willing to share their arena with a new buyer in that market. The NHL had no choice but to go with what they had. If paul allen wanted an NHL team, absolutely the Jets would be there. If Seattle and King County had shown a willingness 4-5 years ago to build a new arena with public monies, the Jets might be there. If KC or Houston had owners and cooperation from the existing arenas, they'd be there. None of that existed though, so winnipeg was the only choice.

Now Seattle has decided to build an arena (which is the whole reason the NBA left in the first place), and ownership has apparently stepped forward. Who gives a **** about the first few years of losses, the growth potential is huge here for the NHL.

I should add, to simply say that teams losing money should be moved to markets where the teams will make money is an extremely naive way of thinking that unfortunately most people seem to have. The league doesnt give a **** if a team is losing money. Most owners dont care either. What they care about is franchise values and growth. That is why the NHL has stuck it out so long in Phoenix, and that is why if forced to leave, Seattle presents the best plan B for them.

For me, it just screams how the NHL is unprepared. The bad headlines, the bad comments on ESPN and CBS sports from 3 years ago, NYC wants no part of that, and the fact Quebec is the same thing wants to make the NHL avoid that. The issue is that the other Canadian owners(besides Toronto) came out and supported the Jets. Nothing for QC like that. They don't want an 8th team in Canada either. I agree with you 100 percent. On everything

~~~~~~~~~~~~
, and no a new Canadian league or no cap won't solve this. The truth is Canada should look to get better at other sports imo. Hockey is gone, it's too expensive, and the immigrants will not show as much interest.

Dado

The language thing is a big issue, and pretending it isnt doesnt serve anyone well. It effects the marketability of the product outside quebec, it effects which national and international sponsors are going to be willing to work with the team.

IMO this is indisputable. And I would argue it's not an "English Only" thing - if QC's native tongue was Spanish, this wouldn't be an issue at all (in fact it might be a positive).

EDIT: Great post, BTW.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
For me, it just screams how the NHL is unprepared. The bad headlines, the bad comments on ESPN and CBS sports from 3 years ago, NYC wants no part of that, and the fact Quebec is the same thing wants to make the NHL avoid that. The issue is that the other Canadian owners(besides Toronto) came out and supported the Jets. Nothing for QC like that. They don't want an 8th team in Canada either. I agree with you 100 percent. On everything

~~~~~~~~~~~~
, and no a new Canadian league or no cap won't solve this. The truth is Canada should look to get better at other sports imo. Hockey is gone, it's too expensive, and the immigrants will not show as much interest.

Pretty sure you're wrong about that. I've been closely following the return of a franchise in Quebec and I remember reading/hearing
Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa supporting a Quebec franchise.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Pretty sure you're wrong about that. I've been closely following the return of a franchise in Quebec and I remember reading/hearing
Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa supporting a Quebec franchise.
Ill give you the benefit of the doubt. But their actions now, say otherwise, since Bettman works for them.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I doubt I really had the 2 hours to spend going through this thread, I certainly wasn't taking notes. Let's see what I can remember here and we'll try to trudge through the rest.

The MOU
Portland city leaders talk to Seattle city leaders and vice versa. All the time. They're tight, along with San Francisco and Oakland and San Jose. Since I've already seen what happened with the Timbers in Portland, I believe I can safely say this: Seattle regards the MOU as a protection document, but they've structured a deal that doesn't have to protect a lot. SO... what they will do is what generally makes Chris Hansen happy, and that's to let him make changes that don't cost the city much more money. I strongly believe the MOU is not an issue, unless there's a change or two the NHL wants in order to smooth things along. Mayor McGinn's comments about the viability of Key Arena caught my attention, it didn't have to be said because it's already in the MOU. Why was it said? Has the NHL suggested amending to allow the Tacoma Dome (or, heck, even some sharing between Key and Safeco Field) into the picture? Or is that their "out" if it comes to it? Would Seattle fight that change if it were being proposed? If proposed and fought, could it lose the NHL this time?

I-91, EIS
The real issue isn't that the city hasn't found a workaround, the issue is whether citizens groups can tie up the process a few years in the courts. EIS... I think that's even less of a problem. This does not assume that the citizens groups are well-financed, but let's note that the Mariners have been against, and I can see where $$ could be funneled.

The Fan Base
I get the Canada vs USA brawl in this thread. I expect nothing less. The nuanced consensus is reasonable, however. If the NHL is going to have 3-4 options (expansion AND relocation) in the next few years, I expect a spread between a couple Canadian markets and larger American markets, not everything in one basket. Winnipeg got theirs, so perhaps it's Seattle's turn. However, the asinine notion that fans in the Pacific Northwest don't get hockey can take a freaking long walk off a short pier in a stiff wind, thank you very much. If anything on the American side, we've had a more unique look at the sport (via the WHL) than those who think the college track is worth lionizing.

Another Sighing Portland Comment
If my ears and eyes haven't deceived me, both the Seahawks and Mariners claim that 10% of their season ticket base AND overall ticket base is from Portland. Funny thing: 10 years ago, there was an effort to bring MLB to Portland, and the Mariners suddenly started claiming 30% in an attempt to block that from happening (that would have cut into the Mariners' TV market). So any numbers rendered here should warrant skepticism. I don't really think Seattle needs the help. Of course, Paul Allen and Vulcan (maybe not in that order) blocks any notion that Portland will get NHL anytime soon. A couple funny things could happen in the interim, so keep an eye out, just don't hold your breath.

Convergence Zone aka "The Perpetual Rain Cloud"
Seattle actually has a reputation for a reason. There was a point where Seahawks attendance was atrocious and warranted a possible leaving, but there's really been no issues since moving into CenturyLink (with some teams more competitive than others). The Mariners have been a AAA team for some time now. Sonics attendance actually started going down after the lockout mini-season of 2000. Still, it's a different economy than even 10 years ago, Seattle has solidified, and the Mariners suck. The old arguments about Seattle being a poor sports market are old... though perhaps not completely without merit. Still, for anyone trying to take shots based on that history, I can find your history at least as poor. So never mind the NHL is better served in Portland, that's just not going to be an issue. Seattle won't be a southern market in the NHL. It'd be alright.

Dado

I get the Canada vs USA brawl in this thread. I expect nothing less.

Hold on, now, there are tons of Canucks fans who would love to see teams in both Seattle and Portland before adding yet another team three time zones away. Not just for the travel, either, but for the natural rivalry.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Hold on, now, there are tons of Canucks fans who would love to see teams in both Seattle and Portland before adding yet another team three time zones away. Not just for the travel, either, but for the natural rivalry.

I didn't say it didn't have twists, turns, and nuances...

...it exists and creates a lot of humor about how a city might suddenly get uppity about an MOU.

member 105785

there are a ton of fans of non NW teams in VAN, when the B's, Wings, Leafs, Habs come to town, there'll be a ton of people who will travel with them, I myself will likely end up driving down a handful of times as I'm in Seattle for business quite often

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I assume he was referring to posters from Quebec who are, probably rightfully, a bit miffed about the sudden change in direction from the league. I don't think any Canucks fan would be opposed to a team in Seattle. Best case scenario we get cheaper tickets roughly a 3-hour drive away.

Zorbane

Oct 23, 2006
Vancouver
I assume he was referring to posters from Quebec who are, probably rightfully, a bit miffed about the sudden change in direction from the league. I don't think any Canucks fan would be opposed to a team in Seattle. Best case scenario we get cheaper tickets roughly a 3-hour drive away.

What I'm miffed about right now is the never ending circle of Quebec vs Seattle arguments so that news gets instantly buried!

I'm sure this was posted some time today but I didn't read it until now

Mayor McGinn confirms interest from both the NHL and potential owners regarding an NHL franchise in Seattle :

http://www.king5.com/sports/McGinn-We-believe-we-can-support-the-NHL-in-KeyArena-211753581.html

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
What change of direction? Bettman has never said QC is getting a team.
Yeah. He's never even hinted at it, which is why I don't understand all the hurt feelings from QC supporters. The NHL's natural progression wasn't always Winnipeg followed by Quebec. Bettman has a league to run and a sport to grow.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009

Enough with the natural rivalry thing

Montreal and Ottawa are 75 minutes apart and it took over 15 years+ a "dirty" playoff hit to get it going

Toronto vs buffalo are 2 hours away and theres no big rivalty just because 2 cities are close by doesnt mean it will turn out into a big rivalry

Dado

Toronto vs buffalo are 2 hours away and theres no big rivalty just because 2 cities are close by doesnt mean it will turn out into a big rivalry

Vancouver and Seattle are already rivals outside of hockey, and have been for a long time. And not just in sports.

It's not clear to me the same can be said for Toronto and Buffalo.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What change of direction? Bettman has never said QC is getting a team.

Plus, some of us who have no stake in Seattle getting a team, or not, have basically been warning about this kind of decision ever since the Seattle arena stuff started to get truly serious.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Yeah. He's never even hinted at it, which is why I don't understand all the hurt feelings from QC supporters. The NHL's natural progression wasn't always Winnipeg followed by Quebec. Bettman has a league to run and a sport to grow.

And then there are just some of us don't necessarily see playing in a basketball arena that seats 11,000 while folding your hands and praying that an NBA franchise comes along to build a REAL arena, while a perfectly good brand new arena in a hockey mad city is being built 2500 miles away sits unused as "growing the sport". I know, we're crazy.

(I think that's the longest run-on sentence I've ever typed up)

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012

Ummm.........being a Sabres fan, I can guarantee you that there is one. We don't like the Leafs very much, and that's putting it nicely.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Seattle Metropolitans. Can't imagine it would be any other name.

It sucks that Calgary never had a long stay in the pro-WHL. If they'd developed a rivalry with Seattle like the Canucks and Buckaroos you would be bowing down to the awesomeness of the Seattle Totems name and uniforms.

Seattle-Totems-crop-600x300.jpg

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Okay so lets say all this is true and Coyotes are heading to Seattle. Fine, but :

A) What happened to "past May 31st it's too late for a relocation argument ? July 2nd will be a historicaly set precedent if it happens.

B) What happened to all the arguments that Key Arena is not suited for NHL level hockey by its default configuration (read obstructed views, only 11k seat, etc) ?

If Coyotes are able to play in Key arena for an X number of years till new arena is built, why would not the next financially troubled franchise be able to play in the 50+ yo Quebecs' Colisee ? Heck why not cash in today on a nice sum of $600-700M by expanding by two teams ?

seattletotems

Apr 3, 2013
Bonney Lake Wa
I love Seattle in fact I have family in the area & I have been there a couple of times but the fact is Seattle won't be ready for an NHL. team for a few years because there new arena is still in the planning stages & key arena is to small for an NHL. team right now . The only cities that can take the coyotes on this kind of short notice are Hamilton , Kansas City & Houston because thoses cities have everything in place for an NHL. team & don't have to play in small 50+ year old arenas whille new ones are being built & as for Kansas City & Houston there seems to be little or no intrest in the NHL. but that has not stoped the NHL. before .

You might be correct about the cities you mentioned being ready to host NHL games, however you have to have an owner to buy the team and move the team and have the NHL BOG vote on it! Therefore those cities are not NHL ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00