THN: Coyotes to Seattle this Summer? UPD: Healy - Jul2 for COG, or it's Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Well hansen's group introduced battoszek and Lanza to the political leadership 2 weeks ago, and before that it makes sense that they would have discussions prior to that, they might have all the numbers figured out.

This mornings article from the sun, mostly notable because of the poll.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/17/seattle-already-in-talks-to-bring-nhl-team-to-city

The article is mostly rehashing what Daniels reported yesterday, but that poll, my goodness. Take a look at the current numbers on that. But I will say this, they are missing an important third option: "The NHL in Quebec City." I think you'd get a more accurate assessment of how people really feel then about this whole situation....

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
At this particular poll with 2 options (NHL in Glendale or Seattle) I would certainly vote Seattle.

Its a no brainer.

I voted Seattle, cause it would remove that market has competition for an expansion, should we not get the Coyotes.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
The article is mostly rehashing what Daniels reported yesterday, but that poll, my goodness. Take a look at the current numbers on that. But I will say this, they are missing an important third option: "The NHL in Quebec City." I think you'd get a more accurate assessment of how people really feel then about this whole situation....

Oh I get that, just thought the percentage was pretty outrageous

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I voted Seattle, cause it would remove that market has competition for an expansion, should we not get the Coyotes.

Not only this,

Logic is obvious. History prooved the fail of Arizona many times with pro hockey.

Can't be worst in Seattle. At least they got more interest for the sport.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City

Sun Media is owned by Quebecor, Quebec was deliberately omitted.

Last edited by a moderator:

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Oh I get that, just thought the percentage was pretty outrageous

I did too. What I think this shows is that fans are tired of all this nonsense with Phoenix. They want a resolution, and they want it now. Not next year, three years or five years from now, they want it this second pretty much.....But we have to wait another two weeks. :shakehead

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
This would make perfect sense if the NBA announces a Seattle expansion team before the draft.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I did too. What I think this shows is that fans are tired of all this nonsense with Phoenix. They want a resolution, and they want it now. Not next year, three years or five years from now, they want it this second pretty much.....But we have to wait another two weeks. :shakehead

Yet I will argue that the NHL is thinking that there's a serious cost in having to leave Glendale; the risk that "we built it and they didn't come" discourages other US markets from using public funds to build hockey arenas. You always want to have a larger number of options.

That doesn't mean they can stay, and the time for that is apparently about up. I do think the league has an inclination to stay if at all possible.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Yet I will argue that the NHL is thinking that there's a serious cost in having to leave Glendale; the risk that "we built it and they didn't come" discourages other US markets from using public funds to build hockey arenas. You always want to have a larger number of options.

That doesn't mean they can stay, and the time for that is apparently about up. I do think the league has an inclination to stay if at all possible.

And I would agree with that, except I don't think the fans really give a rip about that at this point. Mistakes were clearly made in that market and those mistakes have finally come home to roost.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I totally agree with this and still think that it is more likely the Coyotes stay in Phoenix.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I totally agree with this and still think that it is more likely the Coyotes stay in Phoenix.
No it done they leave and you can bet they leave in the middle of the night like thieves. Wherever they go I expect the NHL will just make a press release initially let the news die down. And then have a low key formal press conference at the relocation site and never mention Glendale or Phoenix ever again.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
No it done they leave and you can bet they leave in the middle of the night like thieves. Wherever they go I expect the NHL will just make a press release initially let the news die down. And then have a low key formal press conference at the relocation site and never mention Glendale or Phoenix ever again.

That's just it they can't really leave like thieves in the night because if they go to QC I can just imagine the celebration (deservedly so) that no low key press conference would be possible. If they go to Seattle it would be hard to go low key here as well.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
That's just it they can't really leave like thieves in the night because if they go to QC I can just imagine the celebration (deservedly so) that no low key press conference would be possible. If they go to Seattle it would be hard to go low key here as well.

Especially when you have a "hawk" in the media in this town like CD5.....:)

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Quebec is in Canada very few American care or know what happen north of the 49th parallel!

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Stern did train Bettman in the NBA :sarcasm:

So when would be the earliest NBA could announce a Seattle expansion? Would it be before the draft? Before or after Stern leaves in February? Closer to the tv deal expiring?

Would the team debut before the new tv deal started? Would they even play in Key or would they debut at the new arena?

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

So when would be the earliest NBA could announce a Seattle expansion? Would it be before the draft? Before or after Stern leaves in February? Closer to the tv deal expiring?

Would the team debut before the new tv deal started? Would they even play in Key or would they debut at the new arena?

The general consensus around here is that the earliest you might hear something would be next February after the NBA commissionership changes hands from Stern to Silver but the latest NHL developments might cause that timetable to be accelerated. It would seem, and GS, you can elaborate, that a lot of the folks who are regulars at Sonics Rising have latched on to this and I think that may be due to the notion that this team coming in here could get this arena thing off the ground a lot quicker than had been hoped.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

I'm guessing 2016 would be my guess, they will match up expansion for when new arena would open up.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I doubt we hear anything until after Stern is gone and a new TV deal is , at the very least, negotiated to the point that the NBA knows where they stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad