THN: Coyotes to Seattle this Summer? UPD: Healy - Jul2 for COG, or it's Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52287-Will-the-Coyotes-move-to-Seattle-this-summer.html

So now the focus is on the landing spot. And unfortunately for the good people of Quebec City, the tea leaves aren’t saying the Coyotes will land in La Belle Province. If the Coyotes move, speculation is they will relocate to Seattle for a variety of reasons.

Moving to Seattle would keep the Coyotes in the west and maintain the integrity of realignment. It would also give the NHL an opportunity to get a foothold in the new $490 million arena that is going to be built in Seattle before the National Basketball Association moves in. There was speculation the Sacramento Kings would move to Seattle, but that possibility was quashed when the team was recently sold and the league’s board of governors rejected a move.

With word that Hansen and the NBA are in talks about expansion. And Hansen willing to redo the MOU to let Hockey first? Dare to dream again?

Update 1: The MOU Can be Revised to let the NHL come first to Seattle.

Update 2: The Icing/Refridgeration equipment works at Key Arena.

Update 3: The new arena will not take 4-5-6-7-10 years to build. Hansen's estimation to the NBA board was about 19 months from shovel to hit ground.

Update 4: Key Arena has all open dates to accommodate schedule

Update 5: ray Bartoszek and Anthony lanza potential owners, 220 million purchase price and Jeremy roenick likely filling some role (community outreach?)

Update 6: Seattle can support the NBA, want to know why we couldn't keep the sonics?, watch sonicsgate then we can have that discussion again

Update 7: http://www.king5.com/sports/McGinn-We-believe-we-can-support-the-NHL-in-KeyArena-211753581.html Confirms Bartoszek and Lanza, have been talking with investors for past 2 weeks, investors have met with City Council, have been talking to Gary Bettman.

Previous Threads:

Part VIII:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1425981

Part VII:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1403961

Part VI:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1329387

Part V:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1216005

Part IV:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1125147

Part III:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1103231

Part II:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1094241

Part I:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=908743

Nickname Thread:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1096759

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Will Seattle happen? Yes, in the next 10 years

Will Seattle happen this summer? It's more of a possibility than people here want to believe but I kinda doubt it

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Though if the league needs to make a decision likely by the end of the month. Can the MOU can revised in time?

Otherwise, I just don't see it coming together this quickly unless the league decides to suspend the Yotes buying Seattle more time.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If it happens this summer, I'm done with the NHL. Not that I don't think Seattle would be a thriving market, quite the contrary, but I sick and tired of Gary Bettman laughing at my hometown. If he moves the Coyotes to Seattle, I'm done with the NHL. Good thing I love junior hockey, soccer, football, baseball and basketball...

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Will Seattle happen? Yes, in the next 10 years

Will Seattle happen this summer? It's more of a possibility than people here want to believe but I kinda doubt it

I would say Seattle this summer is impossible. Trying to shoehorn a team into the Tacoma Dome (Key Arena is no longer an option) without a new arena deal being finalized is a nightmare scenario.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
He doesn't seem aware that the arena deal in Seattle was contingent on securing an NBA team, he doesn't seem aware that it requires any NHL or NBA team to play in Key Arena and not the Tacoma Dome, he even suggests that Gosbee or Hulsizer would buy the team and keep it in Phoenix until a new arena in Seattle is complete before relocating.

In other words, as has been the norm over the past year or two, Campbell has no clue what is going on in regards to the Coyotes or potential relocation options.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I would say Seattle this summer is impossible. Trying to shoehorn a team into the Tacoma Dome (Key Arena is no longer an option) without a new arena deal being finalized is a nightmare scenario.

this is basically the story of the Tampa Bay Lightning, though

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
This summer? Did anything suddenly change with Seattle wanted the NBA first before thinking about the NHL? Or is this an article writer who likes making crap up or writing an article with facts about a month or two out of date?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
He doesn't seem aware that the arena deal in Seattle was contingent on securing an NBA team, he doesn't seem aware that it requires any NHL or NBA team to play in Key Arena and not the Tacoma Dome, he even suggests that Gosbee or Hulsizer would buy the team and keep it in Phoenix until a new arena in Seattle is complete before relocating.

In other words, as has been the norm over the past year or two, Campbell has no clue what is going on in regards to the Coyotes or potential relocation options.

Hansen was interviewed recently and said he would be willing to work with an NHL owner/group to change the requirement, get an NHL team there first. To me, it sounded like he'd be willing to partner and share the risk if he felt the NBA would be inevitable. Since that time, a report about an NBA team going in two years has come out.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
I thought this was really dependent on the NBA going there first, but it would be great if the NHL somehow got there first. Would serve Hansen well to get the NHL to spur the arena construction if possible.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Seattle will be the landing spot for the next sunbelt team that has to move. Florida Panthers to Seattle within 5 years would be a good guess!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Florida won't move, their owners have a good deal as arena managers and the operation makes money. The Panthers might lose money as a separate entity, but they are part of a profitable package... THEY... WON'T... MOVE!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
For next year, it has to be smoke and mirrors to try to get a higher asking price out of Quebec.

A new arena's not getting built without an NBA team, and it's anybody's guess when the Sonics are coming back.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
And no, Florida's not moving until the owner sells them, and he's not selling until he's no longer making money in his real estate dealings in the area, for which he uses the Panthers and their arena as a loss leader for.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
For next year, it has to be smoke and mirrors to try to get a higher asking price out of Quebec.

A new arena's not getting built without an NHL team, and it's anybody's guess when the Sonics are coming back.

5 or 6 years at Key arena would be a financial disaster. Doubtful it will happen.

Ken Campbell probably is one of the worst hockey columnist. Take a look at some of his last column in the past few years. Terrible track record.

But i hope Seattle gets a team at some point, maybe in the next expansion.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Chris Hansen has already gone on record that if there is a NHL team that he would get the MOU revised

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
5 or 6 years at Key arena would be a financial disaster. Doubtful it will happen.

Ken Campbell probably is one of the worst hockey columnist. Take a look at some of his last column in the past few years. Terrible track record.

But i hope Seattle gets a team at some point, maybe in the next expansion.

It wouldn't be 5-6 years, it would be two years, maybe 3 max.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Did he cite the reason that "it would keep the Coyotes in the west and maintain the integrity of realignment" as one of his two main reasons?

:laugh:

That's already a week argument. That's so ridiculously short-sighted that no businessman would even think about it. Move to one city instead of another where we'll have far more revenue and a bigger expansion fee because then we don't have to worry about realignment. The NHL left the Jets in the SE division for two friggin years, I doubt they worry that much about this.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If it happens this summer, I'm done with the NHL. Not that I don't think Seattle would be a thriving market, quite the contrary, but I sick and tired of Gary Bettman laughing at my hometown. If he moves the Coyotes to Seattle, I'm done with the NHL. Good thing I love junior hockey, soccer, football, baseball and basketball...

I know it's difficult being patient, but when it comes to a market like Quebec City (or Seattle), the question is when, not if. Quebec City will get a team, whether or not they get a team for the upcoming season or 10 years from now remains to be seen.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We've been waiting for 18 years. If they don't want us it is fine, just say it, don't toy with us. That's what's frustrating me. I think Seattle can be a great market but they aren't ready yet... we are! If they go there now, without an arena deal and in a temporary facility sure of losing tens of millions for at least two season when we have a temporar arena that IS suitable for hockey and a new one being built at this very moment, I will be insulted.

The Korean*

QC is ready? I dont think so. Are they building the new arena yet?

If not they are in the same boat as Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino