Line Combos: This team needs to mix things up!

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013
Looks like Grand Master has the top line out of those.

Actually i don't know what should Cooke do on that line? He really don't have that much offensive talent, his game is very simple, he just shoot the puck. Pominville and Granlund both can make a plays, what i was just thinking does that work with Cooke?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Parise-Coyle-Heatley.... I dunno, could just be crazy enough to work.

On the other hand I think I would feel more comfortable with Nino there and Heater down to the third line where he seems to have at least residual value.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Parise-Coyle-Heatley.... I dunno, could just be crazy enough to work.

On the other hand I think I would feel more comfortable with Nino there and Heater down to the third line where he seems to have at least residual value.

Hopefully Parise's speed combined with his work along the boards will give enough time for Heatley to catch up to the play. I actually think that line might work.

Heatley and Parise lit it up at the beginning of last year.

I just hope these new lines last more than half a game.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
If Heatley could just tease a little more performance out of his busted legs, and not be such a pylon on the ice...

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
it's probably still going to be our D that craps the bed for us.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Russo said that Heatley and Fontaine were rotating on the 1st and 4th lines, so it's actually:

Parise-Coyle-Fontaine/Heatley
Cooke-Granlund-Pominville
Nino-Koivu-Brodziak
Heatley/Fontaine-Konopka-Mitchell

My guess is they'll keep rotating back and forth, because Yeo doesn't have enough cojones to just leave Heatley on 4th line and move on.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Actually i don't know what should Cooke do on that line? He really don't have that much offensive talent, his game is very simple, he just shoot the puck. Pominville and Granlund both can make a plays, what i was just thinking does that work with Cooke?

Af Grann & Pominville lacks toughness.. maybe

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

Provide support, hits, somebody to add ammo to the MiG-64 so Pominville can win the war.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
oAfOz05.gif

Lol, my thoughts exactly.

Rather have Coyle as a winger the Brodziak. Pretty skeptical about those lines and this coming from someone who is eager to see Koivu separated from Parise. That's to much separation.

SwimToTheMoon

Wild fan in WPG
Sep 5, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Not a fan of changing up the lines after one loss.....we were on a 3 game winning streak beforehand. Why change it up like this?

Personally, I'd put Coyle on the top line instead of Fontaine and put Fontaine on the third line with Heatley and Brodziak.

Just my 2 cents

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Not a fan of changing up the lines after one loss.....we were on a 3 game winning streak beforehand. Why change it up like this?

Personally, I'd put Coyle on the top line instead of Fontaine and put Fontaine on the third line with Heatley and Brodziak.

Just my 2 cents

Scoring. That's why. And that's why I am in favor of it.

tomthestone*

Plus Coyle is back. Change was inevitable.

So glad the big kid is set to return to the lineup. A big shakeup was inevitable and hopefully Coyle comes back healthy and provides a legit boost. I'm not about to get greedy and complain about the combinations Yeo threw out there today. Mixing it up is good enough for now and I'll take anything that involves trying Parise with a different center. Yet I'm still left with a few questions...

if they're going to have less skill on Koivu's line, why not get Cooke out there on the left wing? I suspect Cooke might be too old to log that kind of TOI, but maybe his minutes could be controlled since he shouldn't see PP time.

A few have brought it up already, but why are Yeo and his guys so high on Justin Fontaine?! The dude might provide decent value as a depth forward, but is nowhere near qualified to see time on a scoring line. Some of the turnovers that came off his stick over the last few games have been downright laughable.

Where does Coyle really provide the most value? Granlund is showing he's a viable option as a second line pivot. Given that, I say that decent speed and big frame is more valuable playing on the wall, running down opposing defenders and stapling guys to the boards.

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013
So glad the big kid is set to return to the lineup. A big shakeup was inevitable and hopefully Coyle comes back healthy and provides a legit boost. I'm not about to get greedy and complain about the combinations Yeo threw out there today. Mixing it up is good enough for now and I'll take anything that involves trying Parise with a different center. Yet I'm still left with a few questions...

if they're going to have less skill on Koivu's line, why not get Cooke out there on the left wing? I suspect Cooke might be too old to log that kind of TOI, but maybe his minutes could be controlled since he shouldn't see PP time.

A few have brought it up already, but why are Yeo and his guys so high on Justin Fontaine?! The dude might provide decent value as a depth forward, but is nowhere near qualified to see time on a scoring line. Some of the turnovers that came off his stick over the last few games have been downright laughable.

Where does Coyle really provide the most value? Granlund is showing he's a viable option as a second line pivot. Given that, I say that decent speed and big frame is more valuable playing on the wall, running down opposing defenders and stapling guys to the boards.

This, and i think this has been going all season, not just last few games. I hope that these lines work's so they don't have to chance the lines every other game. Every one of those lines do have a potential to be a scoring line.

tomthestone*

This, and i think this has been going all season, not just last few games. I hope that these lines work's so they don't have to chance the lines every other game. Every one of those lines do have a potential to be a scoring line.

I'm with you. I think it has been going on since he's been with the big club, but the level of embarrassment associated with said turnovers went up exponentially when Yeo handed Fontaine a first line gig. Seeing a fourth-liner cycle the puck to nobody is a lot easier to stomach.

And for the record I've been a UMD diehard since birth...

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013
Yeo likes Fontaine way too much. He's not a first line player, period.

Yeah but when the other option is Heater you are gonna start to think... If you are gonna play Parise and Koivu in different lines there is no options. You can't put Fontaine or Heatley with Pom and Granny. You could play Fontaine with Koivu and Broziak, but there wouldn't be any skil on that line..

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
^So you mean it would be like when Koivu skated with Bruno and Miettinen... only with a little bit more skill and better shooting accuracy?

I'd be in favor of that. Koivu plays with more determination when he has to carry a line flat out like that.

Billy Mays Here*

Yeo likes Fontaine way too much. He's not a first line player, period.

Once we found out that Fontaine was gonna make the Wild roster out of camp I immediately started to fear that Yeo would play favorites since he'd coached Fontaine in Houston. My fear's are coming true, and even more than I originally anticipated.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Once we found out that Fontaine was gonna make the Wild roster out of camp I immediately started to fear that Yeo would play favorites since he'd coached Fontaine in Houston. My fear's are coming true, and even more than I originally anticipated.

Yeo didn't coach Fontaine. Fontaine's first year in the AHL was 2011-2012, Yeo's first year with the Wild. Torts coached Fontaine.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
I really like Coyle but is it best for the team to have him centering the top line before he even plays a game after coming back from injury?

It will be his 3rd game this year and (I believe) his 3rd game playing center in the NHL?

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I really like Coyle but is it best for the team to have him centering the top line before he even plays a game after coming back from injury?

It will be his 3rd game this year and (I believe) his 3rd game playing center in the NHL?

I don't think its fair to say there are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines.

I would say those are three average 2nd lines.

The minute breakdown will probably end up being very similar to what it has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad