Line Combos: This team needs to mix things up!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As excited as we are about the possibilities of the Parise/Granlund/Pominville trio, and I do think that they would perform well, I'd still like to see them up against a team that has a true shutdown defense pairing and/or forward line. They're obviously not going to produce like they did last night all of the time, but if they can hold their own and still consistently be a threat to score, then we'll really have something here.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
As excited as we are about the possibilities of the Parise/Granlund/Pominville trio, and I do think that they would perform well, I'd still like to see them up against a team that has a true shutdown defense pairing and/or forward line. They're obviously not going to produce like they did last night all of the time, but if they can hold their own and still consistently be a threat to score, then we'll really have something here.

I hope that line will be together against Nashville. Weber-Josi sounds like a fit challenge for that line.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Parise-Granlund-Pominville(Scoring and skill galore)
Nino-Koivu-Coyle(Big Bodied scoring/responsible defensively scoring line)
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine("Shut down" line, will also provide some offensive spark)
Heatley-Haula-Mitchell(4th line, solid defensively with slight offensive punch)
Veilleux.

Unfortunately back goes Zucker to Iowa. But since Zucker is never going to play on the 3rd or 4th line and there is no top 6 spot thats where he goes for now.

I like these lines as well.

Zucker will get a better shot next year. Sadly there is just no place right now in the top 6 for him, and that really is his role.

I would also prefer Coyle in the top 6 as a winger who can shift to C if necessary (injury), but that is not his permanent role. I championed for him to try C over the offseason, but I just don't like him there. That theoretical line makeup with
Nino-Koivu-Coyle would be a monster for other teams deal with as well, plus would have a great scoring touch and strong two-way play.

These are the lines Yeolo has got to try out, or something very similar.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Parise-Granlund-Pominville(Scoring and skill galore)
Nino-Koivu-Coyle(Big Bodied scoring/responsible defensively scoring line)
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine("Shut down" line, will also provide some offensive spark)
Heatley-Haula-Mitchell(4th line, solid defensively with slight offensive punch)
Veilleux.

Unfortunately back goes Zucker to Iowa. But since Zucker is never going to play on the 3rd or 4th line and there is no top 6 spot thats where he goes for now.

I think these are realistic lines.

Heatley had a few nice games and has cooled off considerably, with just 3 assists in the last 8 games. He clearly didn't mesh with Granlund/Parise and is a liability out there.

The third line, even though Brodziak seems to have hands for feet and terrible decision making, is decent most nights.

Honestly I think that Nino-Koivu-Coyle won't be great in terms of production because Coyle...I'm just going to say it, he has low hockey IQ and doesn't seem to know where to go to keep plays alive and cash in on scoring opportunities. Koivu isn't much of a threat to score, so it's going to be a lot of the opposition defense isolating Nino along the boards and separating him from the puck, and Koivu's going to be up high, Coyle's going to be out of position, and it's going to be a fairly easy breakout. But all three guys are strong on the puck and You Can't Teach Size (TM) and they have high Compete Level (TM) and Play The Game The Right way (TM) so they will get their ice time.

Fourth line should pop in a goal every 4-5 games or so. Mitchell sucks, but Haula has some speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad