This Team is Horrible (All Purpose Venting Thread)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A good, tongue in cheek, sarcastic post. But it does bring up a point. Some of us who defend LL, or at least give him a grade of I but appreciate the results so far, are seen as defending a completely conservative approach and that any move made must be a sure thing. Let's be clear, there is nothing wrong with bold and risky, so long as it is informed and not panic driven. That's Lou's job, to take the bold step if the bold step is there to take. Panarin was a bold and risky move. It didn't work out, but I for one am not averse to big risk for big reward. Unfortunately, that move hasn't been out there yet in Lou's mind but I don't think he'll be afraid to pull the trigger if it is. I hope not.
Not to take BOLD steps but to take SMART steps.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think I agree with your point, overall. But I don't see signing UFA Panarin as bold or risky. I'm thinking more in terms of making a blockbuster trade simply to "shake things up" or because "at least it's doing something" that some are advocating for.
Anytime you want to commit $12.5M, or 15%, to one player in a hard cap league, that is bold and risky.

Reactions: stranger34

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So why stress a BOLD move? Need the splash? Need the shiny new toy?
Show me where I stressed BOLD? Get up on the wrong side of the bed today? And if a move can be made that can help this team win, I don't care if it's shiny and new or old and dull.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Show me where I stressed BOLD? Get up on the wrong side of the bed today? And if a move can be made that can help this team win, I don't care if it's shiny and new or old and dull.
Do you come here looking to slam dunk people?

I’ve never blocked anyone here, including Satan, but congrats. You made it. Take a hike.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Damn man... mdc averages less than a shot a game. Even Martin doubles that. He’s just pathetic out there. No more please

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
16 - 3 - 1 first 20 games
13 - 12 - -5 next 30 games.
With our team barely ( no not Josh Barely) holding a playoff spot to this point and looking average at best most nights it may be time to start talking up potential draft picks in the 12-15 range . The 2020 playoffs will not include the NYI

Reactions: xECK29x

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Good chance Isles will be down to barely holding on to the 8th spot after tonight.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
After last night's debacle, it seems only right to resurrect this thread.

With all the advanced metrics, I find that one of the simplest ones: Overall net goals for/against is generally a good reflection of the team's ability. Right now we're above average at +10 but far behind the top 5 teams in the league.

I'm on board for the ride but a deep run in the playoffs appears less and less likely. On any given night, this team can beat the top teams but there's a talent gap that won't be solved by a TDL move.

Time for Lou to be patient and save the high picks and prospects unless it's for an NHL starter with term

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

With all the advanced metrics, I find that one of the simplest ones: Overall net goals for/against is generally a good reflection of the team's ability. Right now we're above average at +10 but far behind the top 5 teams in the league.

I'm on board for the ride but a deep run in the playoffs appears less and less likely. On any given night, this team can beat the top teams but there's a talent gap that won't be solved by a TDL move.

Time for Lou to be patient and save the high picks and prospects unless it's for an NHL starter with term

Off topic a little bit but since you brought it up, you know what's nuts? Tampa Bay had +103 goal differential last season. The next closest was Calgary at +62. That's crazy and both were bounced in the first round.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Off topic a little bit but since you brought it up, you know what's nuts? Tampa Bay had +103 goal differential last season. The next closest was Calgary at +62. That's crazy and both were bounced in the first round.

I get your point. Once you're in, anything can happen.

St. Louis was still a big surprise last year. To be fair, they had talent that the Isles didn't have last year or this year. I should also amend my comments regarding goal differential to have exclusions for teams with a strong second half of the season and/or major TDL acquisitions.

I'm a fan so I'll be rooting for my team assuming we're in the playoffs. Once they start, it's house money. My expectations are low for a deep run.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I get your point. Once you're in, anything can happen.

St. Louis was still a big surprise last year. To be fair, they had talent that the Isles didn't have last year or this year. I should also amend my comments regarding goal differential to have exclusions for teams with a strong second half of the season and/or major TDL acquisitions.

I'm a fan so I'll be rooting for my team assuming we're in the playoffs. Once they start, it's house money. My expectations are low for a deep run.

I honestly wasn't making a point, just thought it was interesting given how far ahead of the pack they were. Most playoff teams were in a similar +30ish range. I'd guess that goal differential as a stat has diminishing returns at some point. Not idea where that might be though since nearly every playoff team will be a plus team in differential.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Scary - looked just at the Isles, and guess who's leading the team in ES goal differential %? Uncle Leo, with CC, CC, and MM the next three.

In fact, among regulars (30 or more games), Komarov is 24th in the league.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

By almost any metric including eye test, the isles are a good/very good hockey team. They are not part of the elite 4 or 5 teams. I think everyone can agree on that. We’ve seen “worse” teams go on deep runs. Happens almost every year.

While giving up top picks for a high-priced rental at the deadline wouldn’t be what I would do (and I don’t think Lou will either), it doesn’t mean the team sucks. No need to resurrect the thread...

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
By almost any metric including eye test, the isles are a good/very good hockey team. They are not part of the elite 4 or 5 teams. I think everyone can agree on that. We’ve seen “worse” teams go on deep runs. Happens almost every year.

While giving up top picks for a high-priced rental at the deadline wouldn’t be what I would do (and I don’t think Lou will either), it doesn’t mean the team sucks. No need to resurrect the thread...

Agree with your post. I'm all in for the playoff push but don't see the momentum or untapped talent that typically propels a second tier team for a deep run. Still time for that I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad