Confirmed with Link: This Is A Bad Hockey Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
I don't think we can truly say that the team is bad without seeing them play under a different coach first. This team has too much talent to have a record this bad. Sometimes even firing a good coach can light a fire under the players and make a team better. And Quinn hasn't proven himself to be a good coach.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't think we can truly say that the team is bad without seeing them play under a different coach first. This team has too much talent to have a record this bad. Sometimes even firing a good coach can light a fire under the players and make a team better. And Quinn hasn't proven himself to be a good coach.

Maybe some heat has to come from above to the veterans. The kids are kids while the veterans have been coddled IMO.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This is an unbalanced roster with a lot of talent, yet poorly coached and managed.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Said it last night in PGT but it belongs here.

And this is with the caveat that I have no doubt this team will go on a nice run at some point

But I can't help but think about how stupid Gorton is.

We wanted to rebuild right?

We dumped almost every single vet so ALMOST no one was around to show the kids the ropes, right? The vets we DO keep tend to be guys who play a much more skill focused game without much in terms of physicality (Before some mouth breather comes in with a dumbass counter argument about fighting, physicality is not fighting and throwing stupid hits. From 2011-2014 we were skilled but we damn sure played physical, hard on the puck hockey. Went to the nets, created havoc down low, etc.)

After p***y AV literally coached physicality out of the team already we signed a coach who literally was a complete mystery box bc he had never been a head coach in the NHL so HE couldn't show them the NHL ropes either. (And clearly he doesn't seem too concerned with getting guys to the dirty areas and playing hard either). A young, high energy team and they always come out flat, lifeless and unprepared. For YEARS.

Then we signed Kreider to an enormous, baffling extension when he's known for being good but massively underachieving bc he never put together the game in his head completely. That's pretty much our main veteran to show the kids the ropes. f***ing brilliant.

We sign a mercenary who quit on his team bc he had a good year scoring wise. He's a NYR specialty- a defenseman who's not that good at defense. That's one of our other key vets lol. Do our NHL scouts work for IOU's? Wtf did they see in this guy that would make him the best fit for a young team on the rise? His age and stat sheet? You don't want to put any consideration into how he'd do with a completely different team made of young guys who play a completely different game? You don't want to look at the example he sets or how hard he goes shift in and shift out? Bc what we've got ain't what we needed and we gave up a mountain of value. (Before some mouth breather comes in and says "But only a 1st and STIIIIIIONK!" And 8 M. For almost a decade. )

We traded a 2nd to be rid of Staal.

But with that money we DIDNT re-sign fast who was a heart and soul guy who busts his ass and gets the most out of his talent....to re-sign Strome...another wishy washy headcase with an incomplete game.

Oh and Jack Johnson...

This team is on Gorton. I said it before and Ill say it again, he has done an absolute shit job and isn't catching nearly enough flak for it bc he lucked into the lotto balls and a bunch of guys looked good overseas.

Well guess what? The guys overseas haven't done jack or shit for the NYR yet and so far the ones that DO come over seem to struggle for quite some time.

You want a key thesis statement for this mini novel?

This team was put together MUCH more poorly than it should have been now and for the future.

That remains the same regardless of if the NYR un-f*** themselves sometime soon.

I have no doubt Hank wanted to retire here and the only reason he didn't was bc he couldn't stand the heartless, selfish, idgaf hockey we've played for years under two different coaches whose MO seems to be coasting on 1st line talent and sending idiotic, mixed messages to guys on "their list". The fact he wanted out is as strong an indictment of our leadership from FO to the ice as anything else

Last edited:
Reactions: Siamese Dream

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the kids are getting reps, and looking promising
the team will play better, while this season's results are not that meaningful IMHO
a final recent top-10 pick at forward will be a great asset

some of us are not that upset

i do wish that Quinn had some more effective responses, in-game, and game-to-game

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Oh my goodness gracious. The moment:
-- Panarin and Zibanejad return to 75% of last year's form
-- Georgiev and/or Shesterkin start making one more difficult save per game
-- Johnson is replaced by literally anyone

... this team will start winning more games than it loses.

The current state of affairs really sucks but it is temporary.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Oh my goodness gracious. The moment:
-- Panarin and Zibanejad return to 75% of last year's form
-- Georgiev and/or Shesterkin start making one more difficult save per game
-- Johnson is replaced by literally anyone

... this team will start winning more games than it loses.

The current state of affairs really sucks but it is temporary.

When will that be? He seems to keep getting in games after each time shows how much of a terrible decision that was.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
While you got to acknowledge that this team is very young and wet behind the ears, they are still the softest team to play against. And both characteristics to your play and you have a difficult time winning on a consistent basis.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What does that have to do with Jack Johnson being played?
Nothing. I agree that it is long time to get past him. If Quinn was giving his new assistant head coaches pick the benefit of the doubt, I think that it evaporated.

But that has NOTHING to di what that with mediocre goaltending (not outright poor), this team is 4-2.

JJ playing is not a great idea, but the team is where it is due to poor play in goal and Panarin, Kreider, ZBad and Strome all being out to lunch.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
This is an unbalanced roster with a lot of talent, yet poorly coached and managed.
We have $17M in dead cap space. This year is about next year and the year after. I don't care if we miss the playoffs. I want the team to finish on the upswing with a clear idea of what our assets are worth so next year we can begin to contend.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Get off the bridge haha, we just need our top players to get it in gear. We're better defensively this year, we've cut down on tough shots and there's more structure. Only thing is missing is production from our stars.

Last edited:

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
I'm giving them a pass until mid Feb. I'm on the east coast and January makes me want to die, even if I got paid like a professional hockey player I'd still want to go away completely

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
There’s a few things going on. Key injuries. Lack of organizational depth. Players tuning out the new coach after early attention to detail. Mediocre goaltending. No one putting the team on its back. Not sure what the solution is, but it’s a perfect storm of shit right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad