Confirmed with Link: This Is A Bad Hockey Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Fox was amazing the first half of the game but fell off hard towards the end. Him getting embarrassed by Barzal was probably the single worst play of the night, but everyone (including me) gives him a pass because he is Fox. Taken as a whole I'd call it a below average performance from Fox in comparison to his tenure as a Ranger.

The Artemi Panarin rotten pizza on the 4 on 2 that led to the Isles eventual disallowed goal was easily the worst play of the night. That play was just all kind of f***ing stupid.

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
DeAngelo was bad on that play but was still in it and caused interference in his shot attempt, also was only in that situation due to JJ's massive f***up. That was a 5% chance that Shesty should've gotten.

Fox was the last man back with his head in the clouds giving Barzal a clean break at the goal with nobody within miles of him. That chance was roughly equivalent to a penalty shot and at least a 30-40% chance that was all on Fox.

We may just have different interpretations/recollections of the play, but I don't really think JJ did anything extraordinarily terrible on the play. I thought overall, it was more on TDA.

- Breaking out of the zone, TDA makes a D to D pass to JJ, but its not on his stick, slightly behind him in his skates.
- JJ has to slow to catch it, and breaks stride a bit, and he does a bit of touch-dump-in attempt.
- Puck hits the linesman, who doesn't get out of the way.
- JJ throws his hands up and is slow/makes a lazy attempt to get back on Barzal.
- Barzal stickhandles through TDA 1 on 1.
- Shesty probably should make the save.

JJ certainly didn't do anything great here, but I'm not seeing the terrible play either. And I really don't have any intention to be a JJ apologist, but I'm just trying to be as fair as possible. This specific play is way more on TDA, with some bad luck sprinkled in.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
:facepalm: overreaction thread (apparently a board tradition . . . or something superstitious)

my gosh

Last edited:
Reactions: UnderPSI

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
DeAngelo was bad on that play but was still in it and caused interference in his shot attempt, also was only in that situation due to JJ's massive f***up. That was a 5% chance that Shesty should've gotten.

Fox was the last man back with his head in the clouds giving Barzal a clean break at the goal with nobody within miles of him. That chance was roughly equivalent to a penalty shot and at least a 30-40% chance that was all on Fox.

Yeah I get what you're saying. And while goalies might stop 95% of shots from that location, I do not agree they stop 95% of those exact shots like the one Barzal got but that's beside the point.

Another thing though, is DeAngelo will get beat like that from time to time (where a forward attacks his triangle), so it wasn't some fluke. Never seen Adam Fox get stripped like that after getting flushed from the net. Just a lazy play in a game that was pretty much over at that point. But I digress....

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
:facepalm: overreaction thread

my gosh

tenor.gif

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
We knew the defense would be a problem.

Miller making the team made some of us perk up and go, damn, maybe he really impressed and is going to step right in and be a force. He looked like a rookie and he had jitters and made mistakes. He did settle down as the game went on.

Jack Johnson is supposed to be our #6 but played as our #3 essentially. It wasn’t just the PK, he was 3rd in EV minutes too.

Shesterkin turned in a good performance in the final two periods but let in a couple of stoppable ones in the first frame.

Going down early against the Islanders is a recipe for disaster and the whole team looked like they sort of gave up when it became 3-0.

All of that said, Shesterkin should reasonably be better from here on out and showed it after the first period. Unfortunately the rust helped land us in a hole in the first and the rest of the team just didn’t help.

The defense may get settled or adjust to Jacques’ new scheme (if there is one) and Miller may grow a bit as he gets comfortable, but it’s going to remain a problem all year long. We should be prepared for mistakes, odd man rushes and getting caved in our zone for extended periods.

THAT SAID, I think we all expected most of that.

What I didn’t expect was zero jump, compete, intensity, enthusiasm or life from so many guys in the opener. I get it, it must be weird to play with no fans, but the rest of the league doesn’t seem to be having the motivation issues we showed.

I didn’t expect us to be short handed, what, 8 times? Do the Rangers take dumb penalties? Yes. That many? No, that was unacceptable and penalties are often the result of laziness. When you’re not skating and hustling you’re hooking and reaching. Sure, some calls were soft, but the fact remains that if your feet aren’t moving and your stick is up in the hands you’re giving the refs and excuse to call you.

Panarin and Strome make a combined 16M. If Panarin is on, that’s palatable. When Panarin is off there’s a lot of 2M players out there who do much more than Strome. Having them both float around uselessly for 17-20 minutes helps no one. We need Panarin to be Panarin, otherwise Strome is Rooney.

Kakko looks more comfortable but he’s still a liability and he still looks slow and under conditioned. I’m not that high on him and I don’t think this team is going places with all of its top players being wingers. You can’t pay Panarin and Kreider what they get paid and then give new contracts to Kakko and Laf and really have the money to address 2C or LD. Kakko’s value is still enormous but I would consider moving him in the right deal, not because I don’t think he’ll eventually be a legit top six winger but because we have holes and you need to give to get. And the worst thing that could happen to this rebuild is Kakko somehow not panning out and us whiffing on a 2OA. If you move him while everyone still believes in 70-80pt potential and he only ends up a 50-60pt guy, that’s a win, IMO. And if he does become the 70-80 point guy, if you made the right trade you got the right value for it anyway.

Chytil looked good. He looked fast, had a couple reverse hits. He still hasn’t shown real tangible progress besides being stronger but he keeps tantalizing and looking like he’s on the cusp. My problem is, he’s never been above 38% on face offs in a season. He was 14% last night. Everything about his game, to me, screams winger. He can play in the Kreider mould and actually has better puck skills. He’s got the size, the speed, he’ll use his body and he can shoot and has some hands. I think Chytil is a winger if he’s going to break through.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
They really need to do something about the LD. I'm expecting growing pains from Miller but you can't really expect to have him working through that on the top-pairing, or on the bottom-pairing with a defensive train wreck like DeAngelo. Whether that's giving Roberson, Reunanen, or otherwise a chance, or if it's bringing in a vet on a cheap 1 year deal, they have to do better there.

I knew JMFJ would be bad, so that's not surprising. He was brought in to be a bullet sponge but holy shit, he and TDA are absolutely atrocious together. Like they seem to be proactively making each other worse when they're on the ice.

Reactions: LokiDog

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I think there is valid reason for concern with Quinn and this team. There’s been a pattern with this team and slow shitty starts. Last year everyone blamed one guy for that, and he’s recovering from heart surgery right now so who’s going to get blamed this time? I get all the excuses about oh it’s hard to adjust twice after so much time off. And there’s truth to that, I think we all expect a little sloppiness and rust at first. But remember, this isn’t 1984, players today skate and train the entire year. They’re better conditioned. Seems like the Rangers are one of the few teams who simply came out of the gate and fell flat on their faces. What other team so far has looked this bad? Detroit? That’s to be expected. The pattern is still there and it was ongoing before Covid became a thing. This team doesn’t seem prepared to start games and that falls directly on the coach.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Remember how we loved rookies like Cally and Dubs bc they visibly busted their asses every shift and were noticeable in some way? Since day 1 with Quinn I see none of that. It continues to this day. There is no culture of 110% every shift.

Panarin should be fine but my vehement hatred of that signing always had to do with the fact he'd be all world when we dont need him (the first few years of his deal) and then nosedive when we do (around year 3)

It's beyond alarming that last time and right now we see him looking like a completely different player. Praying it's not a sign of things to come as soon as next season or the year after with all those years and $ still on the books.

That Krieder contract is beyond stupid I cannot put into words how bad that $ and term are. That Trouba contract is the height of our NHL vet scouting ineptitude and rush to skeet money like it's going out of style. It's not about the current team. it's about the plan for our future being put together like a drunk puts together a 1000 piece puzzle

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
“We just weren’t prepared to play the right way right from the get-go”

This isn't the first time we've heard this from Quinn, and it was no different after the bubble camp and play-in tourney. I have no idea what the pace has been in the practices and scrimmages (because the Rangers were one of the only teams to not provide a stream of them to their fans), but this is starting to become a trend.

If I recall correctly, it also happened after the newly established bye week the Rangers had season or two ago as well. I don't think Quinn is on the hot seat just yet - but that performance should definitely raise some eyebrows in the front office.

We all know this is a super young team, but Quinn himself said it's ok to make mistakes as long as they are the wrong ones. That they need to be more physical and a harder team to play against.

Yes, its one game - but I didn't see much of anything to suggest anything has changed in that regard and if you are a top coach it doesn't matter what average age your club is, you can motivate them to at least play a spirited game on opening night in your home barn.

Let's hope it was all nerves and after a few games things start to jell a little better. But the effort needs to increase. Passion needs to be displayed. Otherwise I will seriously start to doubt the effectiveness of this head coach.

There's your reason why it wasn't being streamed. They don't want to know the coach's incompetence.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I mean ..I get this take...I really do. But really was any defenseman actually good last night?

Maybe Lindgren?
Despite their mistakes Fox and DeAngelo were far better than any other defencemen on the team, just like 90% of Ranger games since the start of 2019-20. Fox had a few outstanding plays in the offensive zone and was great all over the ice in the first half (much less so in the 2nd half unfortunately) while DeAngelo drove the puck up the ice all night and created a ton of chances, albeit not of as high quality as the few that Fox created by those previously mentioned outstanding plays.

Reactions: Ail

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

I don't think he was bad on that play. He didn't get beat or anything. He kept him in front and forced Barzal to take a low percentage shot.

Reactions: mas0764

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I don't think he was bad on that play. He didn't get beat or anything. He kept him in front and forced Barzal to take a low percentage shot.
His stick work left a bit to be desired IMO, but as you said he was still in it and interfered with Barzal's ability to take the shot and took away the opportunity to drive the net. Not optimal, but not a disaster either.

Reactions: Rockets17

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Short season this year so no time to f*** around with tradition.

Don’t want to overreact to one game in extraordinary circumstances, but I’m slightly alarmed this team hasn’t played anything resembling good hockey since March.

I expected growing pains, I didn’t and still do not expect them to be good, but a decent performance in a losing effort would be nice.
I thought they were decent in Game 3 against Carolina.

Rockets17

Oct 6, 2017
“We just weren’t prepared to play the right way right from the get-go”

This isn't the first time we've heard this from Quinn, and it was no different after the bubble camp and play-in tourney. I have no idea what the pace has been in the practices and scrimmages (because the Rangers were one of the only teams to not provide a stream of them to their fans), but this is starting to become a trend.

If I recall correctly, it also happened after the newly established bye week the Rangers had season or two ago as well. I don't think Quinn is on the hot seat just yet - but that performance should definitely raise some eyebrows in the front office.

We all know this is a super young team, but Quinn himself said it's ok to make mistakes as long as they are the wrong ones. That they need to be more physical and a harder team to play against.

Yes, its one game - but I didn't see much of anything to suggest anything has changed in that regard and if you are a top coach it doesn't matter what average age your club is, you can motivate them to at least play a spirited game on opening night in your home barn.

Let's hope it was all nerves and after a few games things start to jell a little better. But the effort needs to increase. Passion needs to be displayed. Otherwise I will seriously start to doubt the effectiveness of this head coach.

I will say this - a team as young as this that goes down 2-0 in the first 3 minutes is going to be shell shocked. A veteran team is gonna take the better part of the first period to settle in after that. The youngsters playing with deer in headlights look is to be expected. Not happy with Panarin at all. Maybe in his mind he's back in Russia swigging vodka. Of all the veterans him and Strome looked HORRIBLE. Mika, well he's coming off of COVID so I'm not sure what to expect. Kreider had some moments. ADA - stupid penalty and even dumber reaction. GROW THE F**K UP! BL - where the heck where you (other than falling down when punched by Pageau).

Rockets17

Oct 6, 2017
Meh. It was 4-0 in the 3rd period and he got his stick lifted.

DeAngelo got more embarrassed by Barzal on tha rush where he attacked his triangle and stickhandled through him before scoring to make it 3-0.

Might want to rewatch the play. He doesn't stickhandle through him. Now maybe he uses DeAngelo as a screen but I'm pretty sure if you asked Shesty he will tell you that is one he has to stop. DeAngelo did enought so that Barzal didn't get a great shot off.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Might want to rewatch the play. He doesn't stickhandle through him. Now maybe he uses DeAngelo as a screen but I'm pretty sure if you asked Shesty he will tell you that is one he has to stop. DeAngelo did enought so that Barzal didn't get a great shot off.

He wasn't screened, he had a clean look at it.

DeAngelo could have gotten a stick on it or done a better job putting a body on Barzal, but that is a goal that Shesty cannot give up. He simply whiffed on it.

Reactions: mas0764

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He wasn't screened, he had a clean look at it.

DeAngelo could have gotten a stick on it or done a better job putting a body on Barzal, but that is a goal that Shesty cannot give up. He simply whiffed on it.

He played it the right away. Barzal isn't even a great goal scorer. Why would you prefer a riskier play that may let Barzal in all alone than having him take a mid range shot?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He played it the right away. Barzal isn't even a great goal scorer. Why would you prefer a riskier play that may let Barzal in all alone than having him take a mid range shot?

I mean he could have made sure that barzal didn't shoot it at all, if we're going to grasp at straws.

But yeah, I agree that this goal wasn't really on him. That was a low danger shot that should never be a goal.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Not sure what you mean. He clearly made two stick handles through the triangle of DeAngelo, which allowed him to get closer to the goal and not allow Shesterkin to really get a good read on the release. I'm not saying he got dangled out of his shoes or anything, but better defensive defensemen don't let that happen.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
No worries guys. DeAngelo seems to be benched for next game anyway. Johnson moves up to play with Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille