Confirmed with Link: This Is A Bad Hockey Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I am still keeping an open mind on Jack Johnson. But my mind is made up about Quinn and his clown posse. The sooner they are gone and replaced by legit coach like Boudreau the better.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Isles fan coming in peace. I do truly think coaching is the biggest issue, followed by experience. I still dread the amount of talent you guys have and will have for a very long time. Panarin needs a kick in the ass, but he still scares the shit out of me every time he has the puck. I thought Miller looked pretty good for his first game, he's a big rangy MOFO with good feet.

Gauthier was a surprise to me, he looks like he can hang. I just don't think Quinn is the right coach for this team, as currently constructed. They need more structure.

Having said all that, you guys will probably come shot out of a cannon and embarrass us tomorrow. Such is life.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Isles fan coming in peace. I do truly think coaching is the biggest issue, followed by experience. I still dread the amount of talent you guys have and will have for a very long time. Panarin needs a kick in the ass, but he still scares the shit out of me every time he has the puck. I thought Miller looked pretty good for his first game, he's a big rangy MOFO with good feet.

Gauthier was a surprise to me, he looks like he can hang. I just don't think Quinn is the right coach for this team, as currently constructed. They need more structure.

Having said all that, you guys will probably come shot out of a cannon and embarrass us tomorrow. Such is life.

I think the only way we can win next game is if our goalie goes nuts in net or if the refs get us a lot of power plays.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Going in, I knew that game was going to be a giant uphill battle. Islanders play with a ton of structure, are a vet team with very few changes. Rangers had 2 rookies playing their first games in key positions. Two new D pairings. And Jack Johnson. We will win games because of speed, skill and goaltending. Even with 4-5 preseason games the more skilled parts of a players/teams game tends to lag a bit into the regular season.

That all being said, it was disheartening to see how little structure there was. Players really didn't know where to go, where to pass, how to support anyone who did have the puck. Everywhere on the ice.

This happens every season under Quinn and it may be in part because he's busy evaluating the roster during camp. But the one that has driven me insane with Quinn is that when things don't go well, he seems to always blame it on effort. Playing hard, playing smart. But the truth is, whatever systems are in place, they almost NEVER seem to cover up for the team's weaknesses. I remember when Torts took over, the team played like 10 games before he installed a defensive structure because he could see the personnel wasn't there. Here we have a very young team. I think instead of letting them run loose and not know where to go in the D zone, they should install a counter-attack style. 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 that counter attacks. We should be all about having a tight D structure that forces turnovers. We would be deadly. I don't think the kids are mature enough to employ a forechecking, heavy, bruising style. And we certainly don't have the kind of D that can handle entire games without massive support from forwards.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm not one for fights and stuff but we need 20 minutes of Lemieux doing stuff to get his team engaged and involved. 4 games now in empty arenas of straight up sleep walking hockey. Only game where we looked half decent was when Lemmy has minutes in G3 against the Canes. We need more Lemmy, Lindgren, Smith, and Tony. Everyone else is either too young and preoccupied with their own learning curve to step up or just too mellow.

Waiting until 4-0 becomes a sideshow. To use him as a catalyst, you throw him out there right after it's 1-0 or 2-0 to get some life in the game. Now Lemmie's got to know who to go after versus not. But if he's a guy that can get out there and change the momentum of a game, he's going to become more valuable. I hope he does, some of the tougher customers that the Rangers have seen over the years also pulled in the hottest women in NYC. Chicks dig scars, especially on dudes making millions.

As fanatics, we want the guys wearing Ranger blue to reach their full potential. Hope Lemmie can elevate his game here.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Gauthier is both confusing and frustrating. With his tools and great play recently, he SHOULD be a good middle 6 player in the NHL. However, the guy just...doesn’t produce. At all. One Hurricanes fan called him “Fool’s Gold,” which is just about accurate right now. I hope that changes. I’ve liked him as a prospect for a while, and was so happy when we traded for him.

No. But thanks for the encouragement.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
We will win games because of speed
Let me stop you right there. Other than Kreider, Chytil, and maybe Miller and Gauthier, we don’t have a fast team. Pretty interesting that all our speedy guys are also (very) big bodies. We do have a skilled team though, like you said.

Edit: I forgot about Lemieux, but he’s not going to help us win games with his speed or skill. He’ll hopefully get the team pumped though.

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I'm not one for fights and stuff but we need 20 minutes of Lemieux doing stuff to get his team engaged and involved. 4 games now in empty arenas of straight up sleep walking hockey. Only game where we looked half decent was when Lemmy has minutes in G3 against the Canes. We need more Lemmy, Lindgren, Smith, and Tony. Everyone else is either too young and preoccupied with their own learning curve to step up or just too mellow.
Lemieux doesn’t provide much else though, other than speed. But if his aggressiveness gets the team going, then I’m down with this idea.

Reactions: Tob

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Gauthier is both confusing and frustrating. With his tools and great play recently, he SHOULD be a good middle 6 player in the NHL. However, the guy just...doesn’t produce. At all. One Hurricanes fan called him “Fool’s Gold,” which is just about accurate right now. I hope that changes. I’ve liked him as a prospect for a while, and was so happy when we traded for him.

No. But thanks for the encouragement.

I'm a battered Isles fan, I take nothing for granted. We are only as good as we follow our structure. We don't play the right way, we get carved up. You guys (and most of the division) have the talent to do that on any night. As for Gauthier, you should have enough fire power without him, so he can be more of a low producing defensive banger/net front presence. Hell, other than Pageau, that's what our entire bottom six is made up of.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I'm a battered Isles fan, I take nothing for granted. We are only as good as we follow our structure. We don't play the right way, we get carved up. You guys (and most of the division) have the talent to do that on any night. As for Gauthier, you should have enough fire power without him, so he can be more of a low producing defensive banger/net front presence. Hell, other than Pageau, that's what our entire bottom six is made up of.
Structure vs. talent. Ideally you need both, but if your structure is rock solid, I think that beats talent.

Reactions: Taswell

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I'm glad outsiders without the emotional attachment can see that coaching is an issue. I feel like an insane person.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I'm glad outsiders without the emotional attachment can see that coaching is an issue. I feel like an insane person.
I was a big Quinn fan who usually gave him the benefit of the doubt, and I still think he can become a good NHL coach. But even I’m starting to have my doubts about him.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
upload_2021-1-27_10-50-32.png

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I miss the 2015-2017 teams, that group had some real Rangers spririt. I don't know what to make of this group. The King has left and he took the clubs soul with it.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The problem isn't that this thread title is true.

It usually was when it popped up over many iterations in the past... but there was always some kind of hope...

Hope for that team @ that moment or for the future of the team moving forward once some contracts were jettisoned and some real, young talent was brought in.

@ this point you have to wonder WTF is happening? Especially w the vets... some of whom are "elite" but playing like they don't care.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The problem isn't that this thread title is true.

It usually was when it popped up over many iterations in the past... but there was always some kind of hope...

Hope for that team @ that moment or for the future of the team moving forward once some contracts were jettisoned and some real, young talent was brought in.

@ this point you have to wonder WTF is happening? Especially w the vets... some of whom are "elite" but playing like they don't care.
“We have awful contracts no ones wants to take. This team isn’t winning any time soon. I’ll probably have peaked by the time we become contenders — if ever that happens during the balance of my career. I’ll just collect my paycheck and enjoy the exercise.”

At least that’s what it looks like.

Reactions: Riche16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->