Blue Jays Discussion: Things happening this winter! (Jays sign Ryu, Shaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
The Jays should be in the hunt for at least a wild card spot with these moves, you would think. Plus they might not be done yet. I thought they would wait a year before they spend money like this but at least you know they are willing to spend.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Read we are rumoured to have another 15M to work with this offseason.

Could trade Giles to clear 9M, could walk away from Shoemaker at 3.6M, or others.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kurtz

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Steve Phillips says he believes the Jays are still in on David Price.
My question earlier may come to fruition.

How many wins does this rotation get you? Ryu, Price, Shoemaker, Roark, Anderson

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Could trade Giles to clear 9M, could walk away from Shoemaker at 3.6M, or others.

Looking at Sporac data Toronto Blue Jays 2019 Salaries Payroll Jays total salary commitments last year were $122 mil. With Ryu, we're up to $90 mil right now (includes $14 mil retained on Tulo). Unless we're cutting salary this season I have to think we have $25-30 mil at least, hopefully.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

Trade Giles? They still have no outfield. At least I can watch the forkball pitcher/Ryu this year and Bichette/Biggio/Vlad without trying to hide. You trade Giles you have no shot.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Phillips: Blue Jays 'needed' Hyun-Jin Ryu, 'one of the best pitchers available' - Video - TSN

How desperate were the Blue Jays to find a way to significantly improve their pitching? TSN MLB Insider Steve Phillips reacts to the reported signing of left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu, says he doesn't believe Toronto is done shopping to improve their club and weighs in on the possibility the team finds a way to land David Price via trade.

The only reason they should be desperate at all at this point is if they think Vlads legs will fall apart.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Trade Giles? They still have no outfield. At least I can watch the forkball pitcher/Ryu this year and Bichette/Biggio/Vlad without trying to hide. You trade Giles you have no shot.

I don't think we'll be adding to the outfield. Grichuk gets a spot based on his contract and Gurriel based on his performance last year. That leaves 2 OF spots for Teoscar/Alford/Mckinney/Drury to battle over, and based on his interviews, Shapiro is a fan of Teoscar and Drury.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I don't think we'll be adding to the outfield. Grichuk gets a spot based on his contract and Gurriel based on his performance last year. That leaves 2 OF spots for Teoscar/Alford/Mckinney/Drury to battle over, and based on his interviews, Shapiro is a fan of Teoscar and Drury.

Gurriel is the only one that has the potential to be an every day outfielder. Grichuk meddles between above and below average with the bat and mediocre with the glove all year. The rest are bench players.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I love Ryu, always been a fan. But he has one season with over 126 innings pitched in the last 5 years and is getting old.

I’ll put the over/under at 400 innings over the life of the contract.

but like others say, they have great payroll flexibility and don’t have to pay the kids until after this deal is up.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Very excited about the Ryu signing, can't believe he came here and not LA or NY
The roster is shaping up into a decent one - with some development in the young guys we might have a competitive team

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Looking at Sporac data Toronto Blue Jays 2019 Salaries Payroll Jays total salary commitments last year were $122 mil. With Ryu, we're up to $90 mil right now (includes $14 mil retained on Tulo). Unless we're cutting salary this season I have to think we have $25-30 mil at least, hopefully.

Remains to be seen. Outside of Edwin and/or an unlikely Price trade with retention, I don’t know if there are players out there worth 25-30M unless we are talking multiple upgrades.

But I wouldnt be complaining if they are making good investments.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Gurriel is the only one that has the potential to be an every day outfielder. Grichuk meddles between above and below average with the bat and mediocre with the glove all year. The rest are bench players.

My point is that mgmt group is unlikely to just give up on Teoscar/Drury/Mckinie/Alford without giving them a chance. Shapiro has said as much, so I wouldn't count on other OFs yet.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
They paid Ryu to be a place holder. The "rumours" of Toronto being in on Price are ridiculous unless we are getting a GREAT prospect back for that money. I'll cheer on #99, but don't get too excited.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Shun Yamaguchi is the more exciting pitcher for the Jays. You'll see.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They paid Ryu to be a place holder. The "rumours" of Toronto being in on Price are ridiculous unless we are getting a GREAT prospect back for that money. I'll cheer on #99, but don't get too excited.
If Boston will eat the majority of that contract, it wouldn't take a great prospect for me to take Price. The guy can still pitch. He gives up hits but the metrics still suggest he can be a #3. Hes only a year removed from having a really good season and was better last year than some numbers suggest. He still gets K's and the FIP is still good.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto drafts 5th overall this year. They have a chance to pick up an impact player there and Nate Pearson is arguably the best pitching prospect in the entire MLB right now. The future is bright. Just know that is takes time to make a winning Baseball team. Ryu will make the games interesting, but don't expect playoffs... just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad