Blue Jays Discussion: Things happening this winter! (Jays sign Ryu, Shaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If Price were a free agent his value would be around what Kuechel got for the guaranteed 3 year term portion of his deal which is 55.5M. The argument could be made he's slightly less valuable or slightly more valuable so for arguments sake Price is worth 50M to 60M.

With Price owed 96M that still leaves anywhere from 36M to 46M in bad money on the deal.

Price being two years older and having trouble staying healthy the last few years makes me think he would get quite a bit less than Keuchel. I would put his yearly salary lower, and I can't imagine he would get three years.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well... that would kind of be the whole point.

Yeah, but I mean seriously valuable. Like... Benintendi valuable. I'm not keen on taking that risk for some of the junk that the Red Sox have in their prospect pool when most of it is high risk or redundant with what the Jays already have.

I've mentioned it a couple of times but I don't think the Red Sox would be willing to part with what I would deem necessary to take that leap, and I don't think the Jays will want to consider taking what the Red Sox are willing to offer.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, but I mean seriously valuable. Like... Benintendi valuable. I'm not keen on taking that risk for some of the junk that the Red Sox have in their prospect pool when most of it is high risk or redundant with what the Jays already have.

I've mentioned it a couple of times but I don't think the Red Sox would be willing to part with what I would deem necessary to take that leap, and I don't think the Jays will want to consider taking what the Red Sox are willing to offer.

That's why, if a trade were to happen, I think the Red Sox retaining significant money and giving up lesser assets is the most likely scenario.

(Ultimately, though, I think the cost of moving him is high enough that they don't bother and end up keeping him.)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's a lot. And it feels like settling for a deal I'm not sure I like. But at least we did something and our rotation is better.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Overpay for me, but if we have to overpay, I’m glad its for someone with no draft pick compensation, and for someone who I really like. How good the deal is depends on how healthy he remains.

Reactions: Kurtz

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Ryu is awesome, you guys are going to love him, bummed that he isn't coming back to LA

Reactions: Kurtz

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Ryu is a Boras client too.

Like what they have done so far. Still feel we need an impact bat and another pitcher.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
It's a bit of a risk given his age and injury history but a necessary one and with the core being cheap it's easily to fit going ahead. Now just sign EE and that's a pretty good offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad