Blue Jays Discussion: Things happening this winter! (Jays sign Ryu, Shaw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Jays have tons of flexibility even if this flops. Who knows if this deal works out on the field but I think the jays felt they needed to make this kind of move to generate interest and excitement.

if he can stay healthy I think Ryu fits in nicely with all the RHP the jays have coming the next year or two.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don’t think this takes us out on price to be honest. Would make our rotation pretty interesting with ryu and price. I was just on mlbtr so I’m not sure how I didn’t see the ryu deal. Glad it’s done. Apparently, the Sox are still considering moving Betts. He’d be a great add but a little too early to add someone like that on a final year

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
not our money lol but seems way too much?
No need to even worry about slightly overpaying for Ryu given the payroll flexibility this club has. The main concern right now is putting high-quality talent on the field, these contracts also won’t have an impact on affording the young players years down the road when they begin to get expensive. Right now is the time to overpay for veterans given how cheap the core of this team is.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Well there it is. You got your signing. Jays were aggressive and likely added a 4th year to land the player.

Overpaid on a 32 year old oft injured pitcher. And a Boras client.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Well after putting up with literal weeks of "ZeRo PeRcEnT cHaNcE cUz ShApIrO ChEaP" I am thrilled that certain individuals were proven wrong.
How come I never see alternating CAPS and lowers style typing that doesn’t come inside of “ “?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They were just checking in on him and accidentally signed him. This front office has no idea what they're doing.

"Oh god. oh god. oh god. Mark, he said "yes" when I made that offer. What do we do now? Rogers is gonna kill us!"

I'm cool with this.

It's a lot of money, yeah, but I'll take the top-shelf potential of Ryu over overpaying Price on a Red Sox cap dump. At least Ryu has the recent track record to suggest he can be really good in 2020.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hyun-jin Ryu: Dodgers ace uses bizarre training routine - Sports Illustrated

Ryu baffles teammates more with his process than with his results. They have all seen the way he dances five different pitches in four different quadrants, giving hitters 20 different possibilities for which to prepare. If only he could pitch a full season at full health, they have thought for years, Ryu could dominate every fifth day. It’s the other four they still don’t quite understand.

Ryu does not throw bullpens between starts. He does not lift heavy weights. He does not play catch at full strength.

Righty Walker Buehler, who throws as hard as he can as often as he can, jokes often with Ryu, “Everything you do makes me sick.”

The applause is another joke. Ryu works with a personal trainer, Yong-il Kim, who acknowledges each completed set with a clap. Given how hilarious they find his workouts, the rest of the Dodgers have begun joining in.

Even Ryu’s post-workout regimen fascinates his teammates. The Dodgers have a steam room that can fit half a dozen players at a time. Most of them set the thermostat around 110 degrees and spend 10 minutes inside chatting. Ryu prefers 125 for up to half an hour, cross-legged and quiet. Everyone else uses the hot tub at 100 or so and the cold tub around 50. Ryu adds some five degrees to the hot and subtracts some five from the cold.

Righty Ross Stripling saw an episode of Modern Marvels on the History Channel about people who don’t feel extreme temperatures. “I think he’s one of them,” Stripling says. “He’s a modern marvel.”

Ryu demurs. “I don’t really think that’s that special,” he says. “But I sometimes hear from my teammates how hot it is or how cold it is.”

The difference in Ryu’s tolerance is so extreme that the room clears when he enters. The other players know they can’t take it.

“A lot of us time our steam rooms around Hyun-jin’s schedule so we’re not in there,” Stripling says.

Reactions: Kurtz

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Vladdy looks slim. Other guy is Wander Franco;

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-23_0-14-36.png
    upload_2019-12-23_0-14-36.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
4/80 for Ryu is fine given the SP market this off-season. Yah he comes with some risk but the Jays need him and they have a ton of $ that wasn't going to get spent if they didn't get him.

Regarding Price, unless the Jays pay the vast majority of his salary it doesn't do Boston any good in getting below the salary cap. Boston will have to send aprox $20 million in surplus value back with Price to make it makes sense for the Jays since he isn't worth what he will make this year. If they don't send established players then I don't think they have the talent in the minors to make the deal make sense for the Jays.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ryu gets no opt outs and full no trade clause.

Only way I will be happy with this contract is of we severely front loaded this deal.

Edit:

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yes!! The first high risk-high reward move of the Shatkins Jays tenure. Love it.

We should still have $25 mil or so in cap room left. Bring in Edwin and Betances, and maybe we can fill some seats and have a .500 year.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
its not really an overpay, its just paying, thats roughly how much ryu was gonna get

but pearson is coming for the end of the year and has elite stuff, shoemaker had a bad luck injury and can pitch like a 2-3 guy...we just loaded up on solid bottom of rotation guys in anderson, roark, and yamaguchi...solid youth follows them in thornton, borucki, waguespack, kay, zeuch

man this rotation has a chance to be pretty good...its a gamble you take everytime, especially with our positional guys mostly in place and super young

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad