Therrien is bringing the worst out of his players this year?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't disagree that someone like Dan Bylsma would get more out of these players but the team record is very good considering how badly too many players have struggled and that's why MT will keep his job.

So do you think a coach should keep his job because one player is playing lights out and carrying the team, while everyone else is struggling mightily? That makes no sense to me.

At the end of the day, Therrien isn't the coach we want to contend with, so the only reason to keep him as a transitional coach is if he's the best one to develop our young guys. He's not even doing that well so there's no point in keeping him.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
At the end of the day, Therrien isn't the coach we want to contend with, so the only reason to keep him as a transitional coach is if he's the best one to develop our young guys. He's not even doing that well so there's no point in keeping him.
Well, the point in keeping him might be about the same as the point in hiring him in the first place... there isn't a clear alternative option. Slim pickings.

Not clear to Bergevin, anyway. I was good with Boucher. Hopefully he'll get a look in the summer.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well, the point in keeping him might be about the same as the point in hiring him in the first place... there isn't a clear alternative option. Slim pickings.

Not clear to Bergevin, anyway. I was good with Boucher. Hopefully he'll get a look in the summer.

I would love for Boucher to get a shot, proven winner and great with player psyches. Couple of things though:

- I know he had no goaltender in Tampa, but there was also runors that he was not well liked in the dressing room at the end

- Not sure Boucher is MB's cup of tea. MB seems more of an old boys network kind of guy where Boucher is more of a wildcard, outside the box coach

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I would love for Boucher to get a shot, proven winner and great with player psyches. Couple of things though:

- I know he had no goaltender in Tampa, but there was also runors that he was not well liked in the dressing room at the end

- Not sure Boucher is MB's cup of tea. MB seems more of an old boys network kind of guy where Boucher is more of a wildcard, outside the box coach

...that's what makes Boucher the right coach for this team, his ablity to think outside the box and not just be that old-boys-coach...this team's core is young, we're not made up of a bunch of ol' vets looking for their cup run; we need a coach that can grow with our youth...Boucher would be perfect right now...

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
So do you think a coach should keep his job because one player is playing lights out and carrying the team, while everyone else is struggling mightily? That makes no sense to me.

Geez, you seem to be having trouble with this one. NO, I don't think Therrien is doing a very good job and YES, Price is saving his bacon. But also, they won't fire him because they are 3rd in the conference (for WaffleDave) and a good bet to make the playoffs at this point.

Saintpatrick*

Holy cow man, some people sure love to nitpick....your family and friends must find it hard to please you.
People are looking at the tree and don't even see the forest....talking about minutes and who plays with who but forgetting the whole team wins and loses together along with the coaches.
I know of no coach who coaches to loses games. I think MT experience helps us more than hurts us....plus gives him thick skin for all the so called expert fans who love to nitpick

After we get eliminated in the first round I'm sure your opinion will change. Not much has changed since last year roster wise but this team is playing a totally different system and EVERY skater has regressed dramatically I don't think that's nit picking at all. I'd be shocked if this small team goes anywhere come playoff time. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
While I'm no fan of MT I'm beginning to wonder at what point do we blame the players?

Why does somebody need to be blamed, the team is 2nd in the division and 3rd in the conference. I blame fans expectations more than players or coaches.

This is mostly the same team Martin and Cunneyworth led to a 28th place finish 22 months ago, yet people expect Therrien to instantly turn them into the Black Hawks or Penguins.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Why does somebody need to be blamed, the team is 2nd in the division and 3rd in the conference. I blame fans expectations more than players or coaches.

This is mostly the same team Martin and Cunneyworth led to a 28th place finish 22 months ago, yet people expect Therrien to instantly turn them into the Black Hawks or Penguins.
It's partly an aesthetics thing, though. It's really not about the position in the standings or any expectations of greater team success.

I expected Therrien to suck as our coach, but that if the players played well enough, there'd still be a chance they'd make the playoffs. Save for a little extra luck getting us a bit more of a cushion in the standings than the team's play has really warranted, it's pretty much what I've seen. Excessively high expectations aren't really a factor. Although I didn't expect them to look so bad doing it. And I'm a bit alarmed that some of the contributing factors to it looking bad also don't seem to be in the best interests of the team improving down the road either.

It'll be nice to see the team play in the playoffs, however briefly. It'd be nice if the team can find a better coach for next season, one who strikes a better balance for the future progression of the team too. Having everybody but Price regress can't bode well for progression.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's partly an aesthetics thing, though. It's really not about the position in the standings or any expectations of greater team success.

I expected Therrien to suck as our coach, but that if the players played well enough, there'd still be a chance they'd make the playoffs. Save for a little extra luck getting us a bit more of a cushion in the standings than the team's play has really warranted, it's pretty much what I've seen. Excessively high expectations aren't really a factor. Although I didn't expect them to look so bad doing it. And I'm a bit alarmed that some of the contributing factors to it looking bad also don't seem to be in the best interests of the team improving down the road either.

It'll be nice to see the team play in the playoffs, however briefly. It'd be nice if the team can find a better coach for next season, one who strikes a better balance for the future progression of the team too. Having everybody but Price regress can't bode well for progression.

I agree with most of your comments. I would only add that progression is not only judged on point production. Numbers may be down, but they could be more of a function of how the coaching team wants the team to play.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I agree with most of your comments. I would only add that progression is not only judged on point production. Numbers may be down, but they could be more of a function of how the coaching team wants the team to play.

...so playing poorly & relying heavily on Price/Budaj is our key to continued success??...cuz that''s our only constants this year, mediocre play (and not just offensively...poor play in general) & phenomenal goaltending...risky, to say the least...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
...so playing poorly & relying heavily on Price/Budaj is our key to continued success??...cuz that''s our only constants this year, mediocre play (and not just offensively...poor play in general) & phenomenal goaltending...risky, to say the least...

That's been Montreal philosophy for the last 10 years.....always blaming the goalie cause he's the only one able to make a team get some wins.

And if we loose in the PO again, i'm pretty sure to see a lot of the fanbase blaming Price again.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Whine, whine, whine.

We're in SECOND place!!!!

This, courtesy of Paul Maurice, " Coaches are here to coach, its not very often the jockey carries the horse over the finish line."

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Okay
WE ARE IN SECOND PLACE, so everything is fine....

Last year we were 5th in the league for 5-on-5 goals
We were in the top 10 in the first 20 games, now we are 26th in the league

Guess what, PO hockey doens't give many 4-on-4 (Which we are the second best team in the league) or Powerplays (Which we are 12th in % and 8th for numbers of goals) The game is mostly play at 5-on-5 in the PO.

Our 5-on-5 ratio put us 22nd in the league
Oh and by the way, we didn't stop regressing in that matters.

Everything is fine, we're in second place

Even there, many teams have games on us....if they won those games...we have only a 4 points lead on the 8th place.

If you think the Habs are playing well, then there's no way we'd be out of the playoff this years.....but even if we got some lucky wins, it doesn't make the Habs a team that is playing well right now.

4 points lead for a team who has become one of the worst team at 5-on-5, with a very tough schedule, with many players loosing confidence and having one of the worst season in their career...

Everything can happen.....but with the way they are playing right now, i don't feel so sure they will get into the playoff!

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Yeah yeah ok, we are in 2nd place. Everything is great.

We're going to get absolutely demolished in the playoffs, just like we did last year, but yeah, 2nd place, everything is fine. We can win the 2nd place regular season Stanley Cup.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Yeah yeah ok, we are in 2nd place. Everything is great.

We're going to get absolutely demolished in the playoffs, just like we did last year, but yeah, 2nd place, everything is fine. We can win the 2nd place regular season Stanley Cup.

If we get owned in the playoffs its not the coaches fault. Hasn't everyone been endlessly saying on here we are not built for the playoffs? So if we get owned because we do not have the right players, don't blame the coach, blame the GM.

Scotty Bowman couldn't get these guys to the 2nd round.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
And if they win in the playoffs?

Would we be the first team to have some success in the playoffs because of high-calibre goalie and luck? Doesn't change anything about how the rest of the team is badly managed.

I don't expect us to win a lot anyway, unless something changes after the trade deadline, with a big trade (which seems highly unlikely) or with players feeling more comfortable without the constant fear of being traded, for example.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And if they win in the playoffs?

IF we win in the Playoffs, it'll be because a lot of things will have changed in our game. We aren't winning jack crap with the way we're playing unless Price carries us like Halak did.

habitue*

For stats lovers (and there are many on this board)...

For the month of February:

4 wins

1 loss in regulation

2 OT losses

10 points on 14 possible ones

20 goals for
14 goals against

That's soooo bad !!!!!!

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Could have been, in theory. But we've watched all the games. In most cases, I think the numbers being down are just one aspect of regressions that hit on most levels of player performance. I don't look at any of our guys and think "wow, that guy has improved so much defensively", for example. A few more have at least maintained status quo in that sense, instead of regressed, though.

Figaro95*

I officially bought a lifelong membership to the fire MT bandwagon just before the olympics, can't wait to see my return…

and yes, he is bringing the worst out of his players. He will never be the man who graces Montreal with a cup, just an anxiety disorder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad