Therrien is bringing the worst out of his players this year?

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Well said. He is unable to bring the best out of his players...Not a single player on this team is playing to their best performance. Not one. Except Price, who isn't even coached by MT in the first place.

It was extremely noticable yesterday.

The guy is terrible. He is truly, truly terrible. And worst of all, he thinks he's doing a good job. I said it in the PGT: He stands there, all proud. Smug. With his chest puffed out, man boobs on display for all to see. He has a smile on his face as his team protects a 1 goal deficit.

I can't stand it anymore, I really can't. I've seen people turning down free tickets to the game.

I the first time in ages I cant stand the team yet we have a good position in the standings... if at least we would have the pieces to make a playoff run, but no. Imagine if we had a losing record lol. hockey games are pathetics. Therrien is the type of coach you want as unnoficial interim. Its a great great boost to promote your next coach. Hopefully Bergevin had that in mind than brings a softer coach with great communication but with great knowledge of the game as well... tired of therrien. He has no brains its not his fault. He knows a part of hockey (work and tenacity is crucial, but players get annoyed soon enough..thats it.)

Last edited:

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
When 3-4 players are under-performing, you can put it on them. This is a lot more than 3 or 4. So it can't be just an individual player issue.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Thanks to Price, not MT...

I really don't understand people argument about MT.
Everyone on the board knows were a bubble team...and to blame the coach when we are rate in the thick of it for a playoff spot is a little crazy.
If were sitting 12 overall I would understand, but were not. If the coach wins more than loses with a average team he must be doing a few things right...

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Everyone on the board knows were a bubble team...and to blame the coach when we are rate in the thick of it for a playoff spot is a little crazy.
If were sitting 12 overall I would understand, but were not. If the coach wins more than loses with a average team he must be doing a few things right...

This is classic short-termist thinking. Therrien is coaching in the now but it's not helping the future of the CH. The young players that most expect to be part of the core when the club contends are not improving. Price is papering over the cracks.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
This is classic short-termist thinking. Therrien is coaching in the now but it's not helping the future of the CH. The young players that most expect to be part of the core when the club contends are not improving. Price is papering over the cracks.

I think the young players have been slowly getting better over the last 2 years. People forget how little ice time Guy Lafleur had in his first 3 years....and this is Guy Lafleur with pure superstar talent. Guy was a consist 20 goal score until his 4th year and the rest is history.
I really think the opposite the coaches are looking long term with are young players and bringing them around slowly so the will succeed in the near future.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Melnick on 690 went on a pretty good rant regarding Galchenyuk's ice time. But he was right. He's good enough to play in those situations, eventually he will shine. Got star skill, time for him to expand. If you're not going to play him 4-4 when are you going to play him??

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As MT would say, thanks to Pricer...;)

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I totally agree this regression is worrysome, even if personnaly, I don't put it entierly on Therrien. Sure he has some responsabilities, but honnestly, many players don't help him and his decision very much. Let's see what is exposed here, to be fair:

Tomas Plekanec is on pace for a season of 45 points
This would be his worst season since 08-09, and second worst in his career.
That's worrysone, I agree, especially since I think he's playing the best hockey of his career. But the blame could also be put on his wingers' poor production. Now of course he would produce more if Therrien would give him better linemates, but the problem is the other lines would be absolutly horrible, and it could end up in more lost than wins. Coaching is also about balancing the lines in a way to win as many games as possible, and given Habs' place in the standings, we can't say it is bad at all.

Andrei Markov is on pace to get a 43 points season
This would be is worst productive season since 03-04
Well, worst production in the last 10 years for a guy his age is quite normal. He's still playing quite good hockey with an above average production. There's nothing to see here. He's old and on the downside of his career. Still good.

Brian Gionta is on pace for a season of 40 points
And this would be his worst season since 03-04
Again, the worst production in 10 YEARS for a guy his age and size is perfectly normal and predictable. Therrien doesn't have anything to do with that.

Lars Eller is on pace for 27 points this season
This would be is worst NHL season since 10-11 (First year in the League)
Here I agree totally, and I do think that Therrien is somehow mismanaging him. But again, I think the lack of good wingers is thighting Therrien's hands. At least he's using him in a nice defensive role, which at least the team is benefiting. The results aren't bad as far as team results are considered. And to be honnest, Eller is playing very badly offensively for the time being. Never at the right place, never the right play choosen, never a nice pass. It can't be entierly put on the coach's shoulders, or on his teammates. The guy has to find a way. But like I said, I do agree Therrien could help him better.

Rene Bourque is on pace for a season of 13 points
This would be his worst season in the NHL
Come on! The guy is horrible, period.

Daniel Briere is on the pace for a 28 points season
This would be his worst season in the NHL
While his signing was an horrible move, I do agree Therrien is badly using him. The guy needs to be put in a situiation to succeed, at least more than right now, especially since I think he's playing rather well right now. But again, to be honnest, he was playing horribly for the first 2 months. Can't blame Therrien for that.

Although they're just in their second season in the NHL:

Alex Galchenyuk is way behind last year's production
Brendan Gallagher is also behind his production from last year
That certainly wouldn't be the first time second years players have a regression.

And they're the Norris winner:
P.K. Subban has a good season, but still way behind from last year.
I hate the way Therrien makes him pay for his mistakes. Especially when he decides to bench him, like yesterday, when the team is playing in OT and needs the 2 points. Very bad youngster's management by Therrien. Subban needs full confidence to be effective. That's my view. But hey, honnestly, I also think that Subban is playing the worst hockey of his young career right now. He's terrible in his zone. Nothing to worry about, tho.

But he's a little better than is first NHL season....

THE DYNAMIC DUO....
Even with the big majority of PP time, offensive advantages

Max Pacioretty is on pace for 53 points.
This would be his worst season in the last 4 years

David Desharnais is on pace for 44 points.
This would also be his worst season in the last 3 years.

Well, a pace is just that: a pace. It doesn't tell what it's gonna be at the season's end at all. Players are always over or under pace during the course of a season. A good 10 games stretch and the pace would be the opposite. At least Max Pac and DD are producing right now. I'll wait till the end of the season to judge.

So...every single forward on our top 9 are having one of the worst year in their carrer
Same goes for our two best offensive defenseman.

All of this, in the same year
All of this, at the same time
All of this, without any exception what-so-ever.

Bringing out the best out of a player....who's job is this??
How can we turned this around???[/QUOTE]

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
As MT would say, thanks to Pricer...;)

Many great coaches in history could thank there goalie for winning them games....so than MT must be very smart because he plays Price almost ever game;)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The team is on pace for 97 pts. Let's not forget that.

Amazing what a hot streak in November coupled with .500 hockey can do in a weak eastern conference. Avoiding a playoff sweep will be victory for this team the way they play. Developing their young players to become core is another mountain that looks unlikely.

The only youth that are doing half decent going towards next season are Pacioretty and Gallagher. Even then, Pacioretty's shooting% is due for a drop and his even strength production is the lowest it's been in years. Gallagher gets ample icetime regardless of production. Even then, his role is grinding rather that developing his skill plays like he was at the start of the season.

Feels bad man.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Who cares what their stats are if they're winning? We're not in a bloody fantasy league here...the club and coach are trying to win games., and the only way this undertalented group is going to do that is to win tight games.

We don't have a top 30 center on this team - Pittsburgh has Crosby, Mlakin Sutter down the middle yet we somehow manage to beat them...yet people ***** and blame the coach for not overplaying a teenager and an underperformer.

Give me a break! There's not a coach in the league not trying to win games...what coach sacrifices a playoff spot in the name of extra ice time for kids that may in the end only shatter their confidence? Ridiculous. You're like a group of petulant children.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Who cares what their stats are if they're winning? We're not in a bloody fantasy league here...the club and coach are trying to win games., and the only way this undertalented group is going to do that is to win tight games.

We don't have a top 30 center on this team - Pittsburgh has Crosby, Mlakin Sutter down the middle yet we somehow manage to beat them...yet people ***** and blame the coach for not overplaying a teenager and an underperformer.

Give me a break! Tjher's not a coach in the league not trying to win games...what coach sacrifics a playoff spot in the name of extra ice time for kids that may in the end only shatter their confidence? Ridiculous.

Agreed - this is not a development league - this is all about winning short term and long term. The best change MB brought to the table is that spots on the team have to be earned not given to young players. This does not only extend to scoring but also playing 200 ft hockey.

Some may criticize MT's player usage but you can't argue it's getting the job done. All the haters point to Price, but they just picked up 3 out of 4 points with Budaj. Enough with the excuses.

MT is doing his job and that's to win and make the playoffs. MB is doing his job making sure he tweaks the current team without touching the future. Sure there's been some misses but as we see in the course of a season, Briere, Murray and Parros have brought some value that they did not have previously and have helped.

This blaming the coach or the GM for a player's performance is ridiculous.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Give me a break! There's not a coach in the league not trying to win games...what coach sacrifices a playoff spot in the name of extra ice time for kids that may in the end only shatter their confidence? Ridiculous. You're like a group of petulant children.

You mean like: Who cares if their winning in the season and got their ***** handed back to them, yet again, in the first round of the PO.....who would care about that, right?

If i am trying to win games....well i would put my best player on the team in Overtime....i would also put the best player of the night on the ice in OT....instead of playing ****ing Murray.

I would also get me goalie out of the net if there's 2 minutes left in the game and i'm trailing by 2...but i won't leave him there cause "i'm not feeling it"......i would also play my only frnachise forward more than 12 minutes if i truly wanna win.

If i would try to work for the future, i would also make sure that eversingle prospect on that team isn't pissed about how they're used.

You probably still scratched your head why Therrien was being fired by the Pens after bringing them into the Final the year prior to him being fired. That's what happens when you act like a jerk to many of your player while you cuddle other like never before.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
MacKinnon , first year, center, 18 yo = 16:47/game
Scheifele, first year, left wing/center , 20 yo = 16:28/game
Nichushkin, first year, Right Wing, 18 yo = 15:05/Game
Monahan, first year, Center, 19 yo = 15:10/game
Barkov, first year, Center, 18 yo = 17:05/game

Ahhhh those dumbass coaches who don't know how to use a top propect in the league, they should all follow Therrien's lead and played them only 12 minutes a night.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's funny that people bashed Jacques Martin for playing this kind of hockey but at least he would bring the best out of our players (Plekanec, Markov, Wizniewski, Hamrlik, Metropolit, Pouliot). Winning or not, it's not normal that are all of our players are on the decline stats wise.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
MacKinnon , first year, center, 18 yo = 16:47/game
Scheifele, first year, left wing/center , 20 yo = 16:28/game
Nichushkin, first year, Right Wing, 18 yo = 15:05/Game
Monahan, first year, Center, 19 yo = 15:10/game
Barkov, first year, Center, 18 yo = 17:05/game

Ahhhh those dumbass coaches who don't know how to use a top propect in the league, they should all follow Therrien's lead and played them only 12 minutes a night.

Let's see. The bold ones aren't playing for playoffs teams, while Habs are third in the conference. The other one has superior talent and it is already showing.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
That's worrysone, I agree, especially since I think he's playing the best hockey of his career. But the blame could also be put on his wingers' poor production.Now of course he would produce more if Therrien would give him better linemates, but the problem is the other lines would be absolutly horrible, and it could end up in more lost than wins. Coaching is also about balancing the lines in a way to win as many games as possible, and given Habs' place in the standings, we can't say it is bad at all.

Sorry, but i remember vividly the Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta line producing very well, while the EGG line was also there and producing very well...and the teams, althought with many injuries to Pactches, Bourque, BRiere, Emelin, Murray and Prust....managed to get a winning record in the first 20 games.

Well, worst production in the last 10 years for a guy his age is quite normal. He's still playing quite good hockey with an above average production. There's nothing to see here. He's old and on the downside of his career. Still good.

Again, the worst production in 10 YEARS for a guy his age and size is perfectly normal and predictable. Therrien doesn't have anything to do with that.

If there's production slowly went down from year to year, i would agree....but that's not the case.

Here I agree totally, and I do think that Therrien is somehow mismanaging him. But again, I think the lack of good wingers is thighting Therrien's hands. At least he's using him in a nice defensive role, which at least the team is benefiting. The results aren't bad as far as team results are considered. And to be honnest, Eller is playing very badly offensively for the time being. Never at the right place, never the right play choosen, never a nice pass. It can't be entierly put on the coach's shoulders, or on his teammates. The guy has to find a way. But like I said, I do agree Therrien could help him better.

Same answer as above....
But for Eller, is really the fact that he was doing really good and everything has been taking away from him for absolutely no reason. Therrien can't look his player in the face, or young prospect and tell them :"Play hard, play well and i'll give you the ice-time you diserve"

He can't say that....no one trust him anymore....he proves many times with Bournival, Eller, Galchenyuk and Briere that he don't have any kind of rewards system other than : Makes Pactches and DD happy.

Come on! The guy is horrible, period.

He is horrible....but for some reason he was one of the best player in PO last year.
It tells you more about the other players....

While his signing was an horrible move, I do agree Therrien is badly using him. The guy needs to be put in a situiation to succeed, at least more than right now, especially since I think he's playing rather well right now. But again, to be honnest, he was playing horribly for the first 2 months. Can't blame Therrien for that.

Then again here....is it for the good of the team that Briere isn't place in a good spot
Is it to win games.....who will benefits from that situation?

Do players will want to come here to play for Therrien?
Do players will trust him in the future?

I think this situation is only serving Therrien's interest of not being challenge in the room.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Let's see. The bold ones aren't playing for playoffs teams, while Habs are third in the conference. The other one has superior talent and it is already showing.

So we're third in our conference....so we are contender, right?
Can't be this high in standing without being considered a contender.....

Having said that, all the players i mark are playing their first year in the NHL.
Galchenyuk is playing is second year in the NHL....and still can't get that many ice-time.

I guess your arguments is that Galchenyuk is playing for a top team in the league.
A rarely see a top team not being a contender in any way, shape or form...

Saintpatrick*

Those are very telling numbers. Everyone has regressed except Price. Some people point out the fact that we're 3rd in the east but I think that's attributed more to Price and Budaj's play than Therrien's coaching. Our win loss record is also very misleading.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Are the Habs in such a bad position in terms of young talent that giving their youth (ie. Galchenyuk, Subban, Eller, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc) an increased PP time/more leash/bigger role as opposed/etc to giving the veterans no accountability will not only result in the sacrifice of a playoff spot, but their confidence shattered?

Personally, I don't think giving Galchenyuk 15-18 minutes a game with 1st PP unit time will hurt the team. I don't think he's that much inferior to guys like Ryan Johansen and Scheifele who were given time to work through issues until it finally clicked. He started season similar role to them but that got diminished while they were played consistently. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Galchenyuk has the ability to be as good right now had they played him consistently in that role similar to those teams.

Aside from Subban regressing to the point he looks more confused than he was in his rookie year, I don't think we've seen a young player like Eller go from looking like a long term important core piece to a barely NHL player over a calender year. Perhaps this 'shattered confidence' thing happened here? Surely it's not from being given too big of a role.

When you think about it, the people that bash MT who tend to be labelled pessimists are the optimists since they believe the Habs future can be better with the current youth being developed better. Hopefully you're wrong about the "there's not a coach in the league not trying to win games..." line for Sylvain Lefebvre's sake. The only thing he has going for him is the Dogs are having the worst 2 season stretch in their franchise history because he's trying to develop players. But if you're right, it shows that the Habs are truly talentless top to bottom.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Fabulous argument. How could you disagree?
He gets outcoached most nights, and Price saves him...over and over. Now it's not all on him, Bergevin owns it, along with the play of the players some nights, they own it....
My .02 cents is, we are winning in spite of MT's decisions some nights...and I have never been a fan of his from day one, first or second time around...and hey, it's OK to agree to disagree, something I have taught my kids!!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Habs have 14 wins in last 30 games. They started season with 19 wins in 31 games (coincidentally the half of the season where the youth played the most)

They are 8 points from being 9th with the teams having games in hand and the Habs having this in their schedule coming up:

Leafs at home
Kings on road
Ducks on road
Coyotes on road
Sharks on road

Team gets dominated almost every game and the young players are struggling with no improvement in sight. But yes, they're 3rd in the conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad