Therrien as Head Coach: for how much longer? must find his inner-walrus

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q
So much overreaction since the start of the season. Lot of missing the forest for the trees.

The forest, here, is that MB and Co. are building the team to peak 4, 5 yrs down the road. It's the long-term, sustained development of the kids that matters. That plan includes that Chucky, Gally, Bournival, Tinordi et al. don't get rushed and forced to play tough minutes that eats away at their confidence, that they keep their energy and consistency up, that they don't get in over their heads with too much ice-time and pressure before they are ready for that.

The trees, here, are Bouillon, DD, Diaz, Gorges, Gionta. Those guys don't matter. They're pawns, placeholders, only there to eat ice-time away while the kids mature. Bouillon, Drewiske and Murray were (re-)signed so Tinordi and Beaulieu stay in the AHL. That was the plan from Day 1. In an ideal world, Chucky & Gally would probably play around 13 mins as a 3rd line for the entire season. That's why MT kept giving DD chances after chances even if he stunk. Not because he's in love with DD; but because he needs that secondary scoring line to keep the kids' minutes down.

But I guess it wouldn't be the Habs without a portion of the fandom constantly circlejerking their collective pitchfork.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks he's doing a decent job with this group, especially in developping the young players?

I totally agree with you. He has done a wonderful job with young players...and when we are healthy and play his system we win more then lose.
Really our future is with the young players and they will be better player because of MT teaching. I believe he is laying down the foundation that will put us in more of a elite team in the future....and when he does get fired the next coach will be very thankful for what MT did with his time in Montreal.
I want to win another cup and we need to go through these growing pains...in 3 to 5 years we will be more happy and confident with our team because of all the work that needs to be done now

Apr 28, 2010
I think MT's gone after next year. Julien, Carbo, JM, all spent 3 years with the team. I think MT will have the same fate.

I just can't take the guy seriously. If I was playing for Montreal, It would be hard for me not to laugh or cringe when he talks or tries to motivate the team.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Watching MT on 24CH, you can see his act is getting old fast and players are obviously starting to tune him out. I'd be surprised if he lasts the year.
Very much this. You'd think they'd try to find some inspiring segments to air, but he just makes me cringe every time he talks on 24CH. What is he really saying???? I would get tired of those spiels pretty quick. There doesn't seem to be a lot of content. A lot of trying to rally the troops and promote some kind of team unity and self-sacrifice, but all delivered in such flat and uninspiring tones that I can't see how anybody takes him seriously after the first few go-rounds.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
his mid-game speeches, as seen on 24CH, are pretty much identical to speeches given by an amateur coach to Atome BB team where my son used to play many moons ago...no joke.

Lionel Mandrake

After watching Therrien on 24CH I can't shake the image of a guy with a whip and not many other tools. Can't see him lasting very long in Montreal. Feels like he'll do what he did with the Pens, bring in a better attitude, then be replaced by someone who actually has some strategic know-how.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
After watching Therrien on 24CH I can't shake the image of a guy with a whip and not many other tools. Can't see him lasting very long in Montreal. Feels like he'll do what he did with the Pens, bring in a better attitude, then be replaced by someone who actually has some strategic know-how.

We need to merge Therrien and Martin together into one human being.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
One thing for sure, i don't want Guy Boucher here. Don't want to Watch 1-3-1 trap for 82 games!! And Boucher LIKES soft teams. :shakehead

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I think he's a great coach one of the best in the league. He took a last place team and took it to the PO the following season. He just have a very bad team we're in transition, we wont see a real Bergevin team before two or three years, it's still Gauthier/Gainey team, much like Trana is still Burke's team.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I think he's a great coach one of the best in the league. He took a last place team and took it to the PO the following season. He just have a very bad team we're in transition, we wont see a real Bergevin team before two or three years, it's still Gauthier/Gainey team, much like Trana is still Burke's team.

290pmap.gif

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Watching MT on 24CH, you can see his act is getting old fast and players are obviously starting to tune him out. I'd be surprised if he lasts the year.

Interesting. I got the exact opposite impression watching the series so far.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto

You sir, my friend are blind!

The Habs are not built like a last place team (as they finished 2 years ago). That was an aberration. They were in the playoffs the year before and took Boston to OT of game 7. Boston eventually went to win the Stanley Cup.

The core of the team that went to the playoffs last year was built by Gainey or Gauthier.

MrExpos

Feb 10, 2007
Love how someone in the comments section of the article bash Therrien and another one answers that only on rds.ca does Therrien gets some heat, and then gives HFBoards as an example where Therrien is not getting bashed at all.

par nothx 3 nov. 2013 à 15:31
Ah oui j'avais oublié que les partisans ici était les plus lucides... Va te promerner sur reddit/hockey ou sur HFboards et tu va bien voir que là-bas, personne bash Price ou Therrien. C'est un phénomène exclusif a RDS ca.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Love how someone in the comments section of the article bash Therrien and another one answers that only on rds.ca does Therrien gets some heat, and then gives HFBoards as an example where Therrien is not getting bashed at all.

Lol, Hfboards is biggest madhouse of them all!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In fairness to Therrien, it could be that he is under orders to give Desharnais 15 minutes a game. That makes it a lot harder to win.

I'm going to be honest, today when Desharnais was benched and then un-benched, I was seeing a miniature conspiracy theory in my mind: Therrien genuinely benched Desharnais, and then Bergevin phoned him and said "No, play Desharnais".
Sure, it could be, or maybe not. If it was the only odd player management, I'd tend to agree, but the way he's used some other players makes me doubt that he's getting orders from Bergevin to play him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad