Speculation: There is something going on between Toronto - Carolina (MOD NOTE IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander is a ticking time bomb right now. They have less than one month to get him to sign otherwise they have to deal him. I cant imagine they would go into next offseason needing to sign Matthews Marner and Nylander. Dubas would not survive that

????? Why is everything about Dubas? Leafs don't have to sign Nylander to any contract they don't like. Just like Nylander doesn't have to sign any contract he doesn't like. Nylander is hardly a ticking time bomb. Even if he doesn't play this year in the NHL. He is still under Leafs control for four years. There is still the issue of an Nylander signing. No reason to think that any team wants to overpay Nylander either.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
What's his exact quote? Because IMO, Slavin is virtually untouchable in Carolina, regardless what media speculates about.

It was something along the lines of "they'll be looking at Slavin or Pesce". Didnt mention anything about additions, one-for-ones ect, just that one of those two are who he believes the Leafs want in a Nylander trade.

You can listen yourself, google Tsn Overdrive, hour 3, from Tuesday.

He also said he doesnt think Leafs have any interest in Faulk in regards to a Nylander deal, he doesnt fit needs, age ect.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
I keep people saying Nylander for Pesce would be Hall for Larsson all over again, then people saying its not because Nylander < Hall and Pesce> Larsson. I think theres a logical middle ground, Yeah Hall and Pesce are better than nylander and larsson but a first line winger is worth more than a second pair D-man with limited offensive upside. This leafs management group should be aiming the bar higher than "Not the worst trade in the last 10 years" . If they are looking for a trade its probably not for a package involving pieces and picks, 1 for 1 deal with players of equal value or bust.

Reactions: hockeynorth

loki2185

Sep 7, 2018
If u want Slavin the convo starts with Matthews

Matthews + Marner or do the leafs have to add more

lol im used of other fan bases hyping their players up to be the next coming of god, but lets be real Matthews could fetch your whole top 4 and then some

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It was something along the lines of "they'll be looking at Slavin or Pesce". Didnt mention anything about additions, one-for-ones ect, just that one of those two are who he believes the Leafs want in a Nylander trade.

You can listen yourself, google Tsn Overdrive, hour 3, from Tuesday.

He also said he doesnt think Leafs have any interest in Faulk in regards to a Nylander deal, he doesnt fit needs, age ect.

Thanks, that's what I thought. "they'd be interested" in Slavin doesn't mean the Canes would move him. I'd be downright shocked if the Canes moved Slavin any time soon.

I do agree that Faulk doesn't make sense.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don’t think Slavin is even considered to be involved. Yes Leaf fans Nyl is valuable as hell and better to have on your team rn but the potential of Slavin is huge for Canes.

Pesce and a small plus is more likely than anything. I wouldn’t be suprised

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
????? Why is everything about Dubas? Leafs don't have to sign Nylander to any contract they don't like. Just like Nylander doesn't have to sign any contract he doesn't like. Nylander is hardly a ticking time bomb. Even if he doesn't play this year in the NHL. He is still under Leafs control for four years. There is still the issue of an Nylander signing. No reason to think that any team wants to overpay Nylander either.
I would like to add that not only is he under team control, he also doesn't gain anything. For example next year he would not gain arbitration rights. He will be in the exact same negotiating position. Dubas wouldn't even have to talk to Gross about him until after he got the Marner and Matthews deals done if he chose not to.

Last edited:
Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t think Slavin is even considered to be involved. Yes Leaf fans Nyl is valuable as hell and better to have on your team rn but the potential of Slavin is huge for Canes.

Pesce and a small plus is more likely than anything. I wouldn’t be suprised
Ok, but there are 14 other teams who are speculated to be interested. It is not as if the Leafs have to solely deal with the Canes. Apparentl, they are the most interested and teams are calling Dubas to get Nylander. Dubas isn't desperate to deal him. The latest word we have is that they still want to sign him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
According to Mackenzie in a Nylander trade the Leafs will be looking at Slavin or Pesce.

Not Matthews, Nylander.

Saying “In a Nylander trade the Leafs will be looking at Slavin or Pesce” is like saying “In a Pesce trade the Canes will be looking at Matthews or Nylander”.

One is a top tier talent among all peers and one is a solid franchise piece.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Ok, but there are 14 other teams who are speculated to be interested. It is not as if the Leafs have to solely deal with the Canes. Apparentl, they are the most interested and teams are calling Dubas to get Nylander. Dubas isn't desperate to deal him. The latest word we have is that they still want to sign him.

We don’t even know if there is 14 other teams. All we know is that there was apparently about 15 teams interested. That can mean anything from desperately wanting him to just simply calling to see what he is available for like any good GM would do.

I’d be suprised if a trade doesn’t involve Canes. Notice how that’s the only main team being talked about for Nyl? This whole 15 team thing is literally probably 3 at the most who would push for Nyl.

After all the more Dubas waits the less leverage he has in a trade. What’s going to get him the good return if he trades is teams battling each other for the best offer. Dubas won’t be in any position to lead a trade. Why would other teams fix Toronto’s problem if he doesn’t sign? You want him to sit then sure! That’s one less impactful player others have to worry about in the playoffs.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Saying “In a Nylander trade the Leafs will be looking at Slavin or Pesce” is like saying “In a Pesce trade the Canes will be looking at Matthews or Nylander”.

One is a top tier talent among all peers and one is a solid franchise piece.

No not really, if the notion was as out there as you're making it seem Mackenzie would certainly of commented on it being absurd. These are just his opinions and feelings, but the guy has his reputation for a reason.

Is your gut feeling that if a trade happens it'll be based around Nylander and Pesce? Mine is, I'd reckon most would admit thats the likely trade here, so lets forget about Slavin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad