Rumor: There have been rumors/ proposai of an exchange between the Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens just before the draft..

To Montreal Yaroslav Askarov and this year's 15th overall pick To Nashville This year's fift

• Yes

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 99 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There’s never a good reason to imo. Even Price, if we grabbed Kopitar instead, and ran kopitar/Halak for a few years we are a better team than with Price/Halak. Price was awesome, but probably delayed the rebuild, which was probably needed for 10 years or more.
You need to let it go. We wouldn’t have drafted Kopitar. We would’ve drafted Brule.

As it so happens, arguably 3 of the best five players in that draft are goalies. Quick went in the 3rd round so that wasn’t predictable. But in retrospect Rask would’ve been a great choice for top five as well.

Funny, I’d forgotten that Rask was actually drafted by the Leafs. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You need to let it go. We wouldn’t have drafted Kopitar. We would’ve drafted Brule.

As it so happens, arguably 3 of the best five players in that draft are goalies. Quick went in the 3rd round so that wasn’t predictable. But in retrospect Rask would’ve been a great choice for top five as well.

Naw, I don't, whether you get lucky and hit in hindsight doesn't matter. It's the entire philosphy that is wrong. Picking goalies with top 5 picks is a waste of draft capital. There is no reason for doing it, ever.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Naw, I don't, whether you get lucky and hit in hindsight doesn't matter. It's the entire philosphy that is wrong. Picking goalies with top 5 picks is a waste of draft capital. There is no reason for doing it, ever.
I just gave you two examples where it made sense... and you STILL don't get it?

Okay man.

It's happened six times. Four are/will be HOFers. One was a really solid goalie and the other had injuries which wrecked his career. Absolutely there are times when it makes sense.

If goalies are a crapshoot, then it's all the MORE reason to draft them top five if they're a standout prospect.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The Kopitar fantasy is made up completely with hindsight.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

For what is worth, the word is that Timmins' second choice after Price was Marc Staal.

Except Price was clearly the right choice at 5th overall. You could argue that he's the second best player of the 2005 draft, which was an otherwise weak draft for skaters.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For what is worth, the word is that Timmins' second choice after Price was Marc Staal.
I seem to remember hearing it would be Brule. In any event Kopitar was taken six or seven slots later…

Goalies are a bit of a crapshoot. So when you see a guy who’s awesome it only makes sense to take him. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of things.

If you have the top goalie in the league, sooner or later at a minimum you’ll probably be in the finals at some point. It’s a huge edge.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No when I think about a lot of the best goalies in the league many were taken in later rounds and average to good starters get traded for late 1sts + prospect.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Price and Rask are easily two of the top 5 players in that draft and yet you should never draft a goalie top five. :laugh: Makes sense…
I just don’t understand how anyone can complain about a pick that we used on a HOF player. Seems pretty silly. We’ve made so many mind numbingly dumb decisions at the draft the past 20 years, that was best pick we made in that time frame and it’s not even close. Juries still out on a lot of these other kids we have now. But the chance of them making the impact Price did for many years is very small. Price was challenging Crosby for most impactful player in the league at his peak.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Except Price was clearly the right choice at 5th overall. You could argue that he's the second best player of the 2005 draft, which was an otherwise weak draft for skaters.
Hindsight is 20/20. Still doesn't justify picking a goalie top 5 imo, it worked out that we got a generational like player with PRice. 99% of the time that won't happen, so even though we struck gold it doesn't justify the philopshy imo. There's goalies found every draft in the later 1st or even later rounds.

As a tradable asset, goaltending doesn't hold the same value as forwards or defense. Even wingers are a better bang for your buck. Outstanding goaltending is not necessary to win a cup. A guy who doesn't cost you games is all you need. The league it polluted with these types of guys.

I would still never draft a goalie top 5, we are looking at this with the power of hindsight. It was an off the board pick at the time, no one rated Price top 5, we got lucky, plain and simple.

I just don’t understand how anyone can complain about a pick that we used on a HOF player. Seems pretty silly. We’ve made so many mind numbingly dumb decisions at the draft the past 20 years, that was best pick we made in that time frame and it’s not even close. Juries still out on a lot of these other kids we have now. But the chance of them making the impact Price did for many years is very small. Price was challenging Crosby for most impactful player in the league at his peak.
I'm not complaining, what is done is done, it is the idea of picking a goalie top 5 I disagree with, not with how Price performed.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Hindsight is 20/20. Still doesn't justify picking a goalie top 5 imo, it worked out that we got a generational like player with PRice. 99% of the time that won't happen, so even though we struck gold it doesn't justify the philopshy imo. There's goalies found every draft in the later 1st or even later rounds.

As a tradable asset, goaltending doesn't hold the same value as forwards or defense. Even wingers are a better bang for your buck. Outstanding goaltending is not necessary to win a cup. A guy who doesn't cost you games is all you need. The league it polluted with these types of guys.

I would still never draft a goalie top 5, we are looking at this with the power of hindsight. It was an off the board pick at the time, no one rated Price top 5, we got lucky, plain and simple.

I'm not complaining, what is done is done, it is the idea of picking a goalie top 5 I disagree with, not with how Price performed.
I wasn’t coming at you. I was just pointing out the general narrative because the Price/Kopitar argument has been around forever. Had we had a competent management team that could’ve found a way to get the center we needed to go with Price, there would be no reason for that debate to even exist.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Clearly, Timmins had Price ranked in the top 5.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Tough one. Askarov is currently projected as #2 best overall in G prospect league-wide and would instantly become the Habs’ presumptive G1 once their competing window opens in 2-3 years.

As for the 2023 #15 OA, I guess the Habs would have opted for either Wood (big RW); or Sandin Pellika (PMRHD), two profiles that clearly fit organizational needs.

This being said, even if I think Askarov+Wood/ASP > Reinbacher on paper, I don’t know if I would have pull the trigger considering the uncertainty of which draftees would still be available at #15.

I would have however pulled the trigger without hesitation if Nashville had added another asset besides Askarov and #15; hopefully #24 OA, but #43 OA or #46 OA could also have done the trick.

So, for instance, basically transmuting Reinbacher (RHD, top-4 floor) into: G1 (Askarov) + Top-4 RHD (ASP) + top-9 forward (Musty?, Nadeau?, Cristall?, Gauthier?)

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Clearly, Timmins had Price ranked in the top 5.
Well there was sone debate about whether that was Timmins pick, gainey’s pick etczx. Obviously we had him 5th, my point being, it was far from a consensus pick, it was seen as a teach at the time of draft

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I seem to remember hearing it would be Brule. In any event Kopitar was taken six or seven slots later…

Goalies are a bit of a crapshoot. So when you see a guy who’s awesome it only makes sense to take him. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of things.

If you have the top goalie in the league, sooner or later at a minimum you’ll probably be in the finals at some point. It’s a huge edge.

It was actually Pouliot.

Then Timmins asked Gainey if he wanted a franchise goalie or a franchise defenseman. Gainey said go with the goalie.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I wasn’t coming at you. I was just pointing out the general narrative because the Price/Kopitar argument has been around forever. Had we had a competent management team that could’ve found a way to get the center we needed to go with Price, there would be no reason for that debate to even exist.
While I don’t disagree that Price wasn’t the reason our incompetent management couldn’t find a center. I will never be convinced drafting a goalie top5 passes any sort of risk/.benefit analysis.

The weight they hold as an asset just doesnt warrant it. Not to mention, there are only do many starting positions and not mountains of separation between best and worst. Goaltending is overrated, especially around here where we haven’t had much else for 30 years.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It was actually Pouliot.

Then Timmins asked Gainey if he wanted a franchise goalie or a franchise defenseman. Gainey said go with the goalie.

I heard that Timmins said that both Price and Staal would be very good players, but Price had the higher ceiling, and then Gainey drafted on ceiling.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
While I don’t disagree that Price wasn’t the reason our incompetent management couldn’t find a center. I will never be convinced drafting a goalie top5 passes any sort of risk/.benefit analysis.

The weight they hold as an asset just don’t warrant it. Not to mention, there are only do many starting positions and not mountains of separation between best and worse. Goaltending is overrated, especially around here where we haven’t had much else for 30 years.

It's true that centers and defensemen have a higher trade value, but if the goalie is BPA, go for it.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
No when I think about a lot of the best goalies in the league many were taken in later rounds and average to good starters get traded for late 1sts + prospect.
Henrik Lundqvist was chosen I think 200th overall (6th or 7th round) in 2000, and was recently voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. With goalies, you never know.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It's true that centers and defensemen have a higher trade value, but if the goalie is BPA, go for it.
I disagree, because as an asset, it doesn't really matter if he is perceived to be the bpa or not. His value won't carry that weight forward. I struggle with using any 1st round pick on a goalie tbh. I would consider late teens and beyond. Plenty of good goalies after pick 15-20 usually. Like we did this year, that is the approach I like. Pick number 69, worth the gamble. If he becomes a competent starter its like we saved ourselves a first rounder and let some other team squander their assets chasing after a player in a very volatile position that is extremly difficult to project.

We usually always find goaltending here in Montreal, one way or another. Lets build the team in front of him this time.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The weight they hold as an asset just don’t warrant it. Not to mention, there are only do many starting positions and not mountains of separation between best and worse. Goaltending is overrated, especially around here where we haven’t had much else for 30 years.
Price had his peers and people all around the hockey world not only giving him the throne as best goalie, but in the mix as best player in the league from 2014-17. He was just as valuable at that point as anyone. I can’t think of another goalie other then Hasek that’s ever done that. I understand what you’re trying to say about goaltenders value in comparison to other positions from an asset point of view, but Price was an exception. Things went sideways after we extended him and the injuries just piled on into his 30’s. But he carried one of the worst teams I’ve ever seen make the playoffs within 3 games on a SC. And it took a team cap bullying us in the finals to finally end that run.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Datsyuk went in the 6th round and is one of the best two way centers ever. With forwards, you never know

Indeed! Comparing Price and Lundqvist’s draft rank doesn’t justify by itself gambling when it comes to goaltending talent acquisition; like any other positions, there will inevitably always be annointed superstars-in-waiting (Price, Fleury, Luongo, Fuhr, Barrasso) picked in the top-10 and late bloomers/sleepers (Lunqvist, Halak, Rinne, Thomas, Nabokov, Miller) picked in much later rounds.

In other words, when you can draft in the top-10, BPA should remain BPA, even if said BPA happens to be a goalie!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Henrik Lundqvist was chosen I think 200th overall (6th or 7th round) in 2000, and was recently voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. With goalies, you never know.
Except when they’re picked top five, you do.

Four of six are HOFers. All six were quality too.

You can gamble on late picks but you’ll have to get lucky. If the guy is there, draft him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad