Rumor: There have been rumors/ proposai of an exchange between the Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens just before the draft..

To Montreal Yaroslav Askarov and this year's 15th overall pick To Nashville This year's fift

• Yes

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 99 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Cool.

Now go on and explain why all goalies are the same and why we collapsed?

I did you just dont want to listen. Price had 2-3 incredible seasons but to used those seasons to make it seems it was the case for his whole career its kind of disengenuous. It would be like saying Cheechoo was a superstar player because he scored 56 goals in one season

So bear with me. During those 2-3 incredible seasons Price had, yes he was a difference maker (like Cheechoo was for that one season) but the rest of his career he was not a difference maker even if that opinion hurt you thats what I think.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I did you just to want to listen. Price had 2-3 incredible seasons
Okay. Does this mean you acknowledge that goaltending matters?

Or can we expect this from Montie as well? I thought all goalies were the same.
but to used those seasons to make it seems it was the case for his whole career its kind of disengenuous. It would be like saying Cheechoo was a superstar player because he scored 56 goals in one season
Except Price was a lot more than just one or two seasons. He didn’t just get Vezina voting, he got Hart consideration.

4x top 20 in Hart voting 2x top 10
7 x Top 10 Vezina 4 x top 5

Playoffs:
.919 career playoff save pctg. .924 from 2011 onward
At least four large playoff upsets.
1 final four
1 cup final appearance

And he this on mostly mediocre to bad teams.

The fact is Montreal fans have been spoiled with goaltending for a long time. We’ve taken it for granted with Price, Dryden Roy… decades of great netminding.

Go ask the Flyers if goaltending matters. Ask Sens fans who lost out on cups because their goalies couldn’t stop pucks…

Nobody would deny that there’s more parity in netminding than ever before. But there are always exceptions. And comparing Price to Montie and thinking they’re the same thing… I don’t know what to say to you.

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
DiPietro was constantly injured. He was a solid goalie whose career was ruined by injury. And he might be the best puckhandling goalie there’s been since Ron Hextall.

Injuries can happen to any player, they are not predictable.
who cares about his injuries.

The on ice product (which has nothing to do with injuries) was average at best.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
who cares about his injuries.

The on ice product (which has nothing to do with injuries) was average at best.
So write him off. That’s fine. I didn’t count him as a success anyway. I marked him down as a guy whose career got ruined.

You’re still left with four HOFers out of six selections and another solid goalie who had a good career. The success rate is very high.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
So write him off. That’s fine. I didn’t count him as a success anyway. I marked him down as a guy whose career got ruined.

You’re still left with four HOFers out of six selections and another solid goalie who had a good career. The success rate is very high.
Sorry, I know I read that somewhere but who were these picks again? My brain is currently fried so can't recall.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Do you know how often the so-called safe pick turns out to not be safe at all. This type of language is usually used for players with limited offensive upside. They can’t play in the top6 or top 4, but they seem like they should be NHL3ers based on sone strange logic that usually doesn’t compute. If you’re skill set is lacking, it’s an a knock against the prospect, it’s not something that makes your chances better.

Having said that, Reinbacher has great tools, so he doesn’t really fall into the typical “safe” basket. He’s got loads of talent and If his offense develops a bit more we have a stud here.
Exactly.. people are making it sound like ughhh Reinbacher is like Tinordi. The dude is going to be a stud for us for 10 years... it's a great pick.

As for Michkov... we litterally have his future self in CC and have no place for him unless we expect to live on the PP.
Only reason to draft Michkov would be as an asset chip to trade for a big #1 RHD in a few years.. so why not just start with that player right away?.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Since 1980:

Barrasso
Price
Luongo
MAF
Lehtonen
DiPietro
Ahh, thanks. You are right, those are some incredible goalies. Don't recall who went before or after (besides prices draft), but taking them individually, they deserved being drafted very high (albeit, I think maf went #1... That may have been a stretch, but still deserves to be drafted very high).

Reactions: themilosh

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Like explaining Cheechoo 56 goals season. Like I said Price was on fire for 2 seasons. 2 seasons doesnt make a career does it?

How do you explain Price showing very average stats for the most part of his career? One season being extremely good is more an outlier compare to the rest of his career
It's really easy to explain Cheechoo 56 goals seasons. You can explain it in two words. Joe Thornton. Maybe the best pure playmaker after Gretzky. It's debatable but his name should but up there.

Goalies is not just about stats since those stats are heavily influenced by the defense in front of him. Roy's career stats are not that great tbh. In 92-93 i remember he had a very average if not bad regular season. Nordiques fans were sure their team had found the secret to beat him. But Roy was making the big saves at the right time. When he decided to close the door against Quebec in playoffs that was the end of the "secret". If you think Price was average i don't know what to say.

Price had a great defense for a very short while in Subban/Markov and Petry. He had his best season in one of those years. And he had a big start the year after before being injured. But outside of that tiny window he had crap teams in front of him for most of his career.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Absolutely I would have don't this deal. Askarov is a first round talent. Goes with his type of pedigree are the types of goalies that if everything hits, you don't worry about the position for a LONG time. Like we've had over the years.

The 15oa nets Sandin-Pelleka, Bonk or Barlow, Moore.. I'm happy to take any one of them + Askarov for Reinbacher (who I like). Next year the D class is much better, so to add a similar D in Bonk/ASP or FWD + a possible future #1G then get that D next season makes a lot of sense.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Absolutely I would have don't this deal. Askarov is a first round talent. Goes with his type of pedigree are the types of goalies that if everything hits, you don't worry about the position for a LONG time. Like we've had over the years.

The 15oa nets Sandin-Pelleka, Bonk or Barlow, Moore.. I'm happy to take any one of them + Askarov for Reinbacher (who I like). Next year the D class is much better, so to add a similar D in Bonk/ASP or FWD + a possible future #1G then get that D next season makes a lot of sense.

Hard no on Bonk at 15, I would rather have Reinbacher than Bonk + Askarov.

Wood, Perreault and Barlow would be the three that I would consider if we consummated this deal. After being exposed to Moore's........well I don't want to say it but I would not target him and I suspect he would have entirely sh*t the bed in an interview with Hughes and co. although Hughes likely already knew. Super nice kid though but I see bottom six all day.

Last edited:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I don't understand the posters who think this would have been a good trade . . . in 2023 . . . even if Reinbeacher busts, which, given his high floor, is very unlikely. You need a complete team with a hot goalie in the playoffs, not a star goalie with an incomplete/flawed team. That era is over, probably permanently.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
No for sure. David Reinbacher looks very very promising after all. Since the pick, I'm sold on his style of game. I think he have the same poise of Kaiden Guhle, same type of hockey, Guhle more physical, but Reinbacher have more offensive potential. (Guhle have good offensive potential aswell, just I see Reinbacher better at same age).

I would never trade Kaiden Guhle for that package, I'm a huge fan of Guhle, even before his draft year. So I would don't trade David Reinbacher aswell for that package, even it's looks like a very very good package (if you include the 24th overall pick aswell).

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No for sure. David Reinbacher looks very very promising after all. Since the pick, I'm sold on his style of game. I think he have the same poise of Kaiden Guhle, same type of hockey, Guhle more physical, but Reinbacher have more offensive potential. (Guhle have good offensive potential aswell, just I see Reinbacher better at same age).

I would never trade Kaiden Guhle for that package, I'm a huge fan of Guhle, even before his draft year. So I would don't trade David Reinbacher aswell for that package, even it's looks like a very very good package (if you include the 24th overall pick aswell).

I think the floor for him unless something goes wrong is probably McDonagh (ignoring the 2013-2014 season). The question mark is can he bring his offense to the next step to become a legit dominant number 1?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I think the floor for him unless something goes wrong is probably McDonagh (ignoring the 2013-2014 season). The question mark is can he bring his offense to the next step to become a legit dominant number 1?
The floor is McDonagh?

I like the pick, but come on.

Reactions: Andrei79

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If our scouting staff could vouch for Askarov the way they did for Price, then yes, I would consider it. Other than that, I don't think spending a 5th OA pick on a goalie is a particularly good idea.

As a side note, Nashville's offer is a good indication of what an organization that's arguably the best in the NHL at identifying and developing defencemen thinks of Reinbacher. Because it is he they wanted to trade for, isn't it?
So Rein was a general consensus at 5 and we still complain and call incompetence to our our new management? Duh !!

Once again, it was not a goalie for a 5th overall pick. It was a goalie for 10 draft spots.

That is a world of difference.
That 10 spot to move up was for Reinbacher at the end? Where is the goalie at 5?
Good thing we didn't do that trade and kept Rein.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Once again, it was not a goalie for a 5th overall pick. It was a goalie for 10 draft spots.

That is a world of difference.
True. But I don't like Askarov enough to do it unless the 15th and 22nd pick were thrown in. It would be up to Nashvlle to make an offer too good to turn down.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

His floor is absolutely not one of the best defensemen in the league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad