Rumor: There have been rumors/ proposai of an exchange between the Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens just before the draft..

To Montreal Yaroslav Askarov and this year's 15th overall pick To Nashville This year's fift

• Yes

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 99 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I've seen Askarov play live when the Admirals came to Laval this year and I was impressed by his talent. I'm not sure I'd trade Reinbacher for him, but he's one of the best (if not the best) goaltender prospect in the world.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
No.

Goalies hold very little value on the market, they move a lot from team to team and they can fall off a cliff any day of the week. Good goalies are always made available, via trade and even via UFAs, see Ullmark for example. It's not that hard to find one if you are willing to pay a 5th overall, you could do better than Askarov. Also it doesn't fit the Habs timeline to buy in on a goalie right now, we would burn him in the NHL or he'd be stuck in Laval competing with Primeau and Dobes.

Even if Askarov would be in his prime, Nashville would never get better value than this trade offer since he would be stuck behind Saros and GMs would lowball Nashville into trading one of them for cheap.

The goalie situation can be fixed when the time has come to compete.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Goalies are valuable to the team that they play for, but on the market they just don’t have that much value. I would never in my life spend a top 5 pick on a goalie. Too unpredictable, and there is not enough separation between the 1st best goalie and the 15th best goalie to justify it.

The answer is a resounding No from me.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If our scouting staff could vouch for Askarov the way they did for Price, then yes, I would consider it. Other than that, I don't think spending a 5th OA pick on a goalie is a particularly good idea.

As a side note, Nashville's offer is a good indication of what an organization that's arguably the best in the NHL at identifying and developing defencemen thinks of Reinbacher. Because it is he they wanted to trade for, isn't it?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If our scouting staff could vouch for Askarov the way they did for Price, then yes, I would consider it. Other than that, I don't think spending a 5th OA pick on a goalie is a particularly good idea.

As a side note, Nashville's offer is a good indication of what an organization that's arguably the best in the NHL at identifying and developing defencemen thinks of Reinbacher. Because it is he they wanted to trade for, isn't it?
I don’t think we know who they wanted.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's pretty well noted now that they wanted Reinbacher

Stop being dramatic, there was a top 4, everyone else and then a dramatic group claiming Michkov was 2nd best.

Where's the info that Nashville was trying to get Reinbacher?

I didn't see that, but interesting if true and lines up with what I was hearing pre-draft (not about Nashville specifically, just that teams would be calling Montreal to try to get Reinbacher ahead of Arizona).

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL

Stop being dramatic, there was a top 4, everyone else and then a dramatic group claiming Michkov was 2nd best.
It’s been widely reported on the internets that Chicago wanted to trade down with us so they could draft Reinbacher. But Hughes wouldn’t budge. Sounds like the fifth pick was the best pick or the draft this year!

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I wouldn’t have done it if we planned on taking michkov or Leonard

It’s noted but doesn’t mean it’s fact. You think they’d say they didn’t?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Where's the info that Nashville was trying to get Reinbacher?

I didn't see that, but interesting if true and lines up with what I was hearing pre-draft (not about Nashville specifically, just that teams would be calling Montreal to try to get Reinbacher ahead of Arizona).

to summarize, Arizona, Nashville and Philly all tried to move up and Nashville wanted to do so to grab reinbacher, Arizona wanted reinbacher and Philly also loved reinbacher.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

to summarize, Arizona, Nashville and Philly all tried to move up and Nashville wanted to do so to grab reinbacher, Arizona wanted reinbacher and Philly also loved reinbacher.

Yep, makes sense.

People can punch down on Pronman as a scout (I do on occasion. I think if you balance Pronman and Wheeler out, you get a better perspective) but he's been doing work with scouts, at the combine, and he knows what is going on at the top of the last two drafts.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This trade/ suggestion was reported by Cédrick Gervais, from the site Marqueur.com while Charles-Alexis Brisebois from the site Danslescoulisses.com suggests nothing less than a trade with the Nashville Predators.Here It is:

To Montreal
Yaroslav Askarov and this year's 15th overall pick

To Nashville
This year's fifth overall pick

Would you have done it?

No I wouldn't.

Nashville would have to add more assets for me to be willing to move back 10 spots. Had Nashville had the 8th or 9th pick, and Habs end up moving back 3 or 4 spots, then I would do it to get my hands on Askarov because Habs remain in the Top-10 in such a hypothetical move while getting their hands on a very promising goaltending prospect.

But to move back 10 spots only to get Askarov out of it is not a good deal to make. I don't think it's worth it.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Nope, would not have done it as goalie is the hardest position to predict.
I'd love to get Askarov but for that price.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad