Dreger: There hasn't been as much interest in the Senators UFAs as thought

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Pageau = 2nd + meh prosect
DeMelo = 2nd
Hainsey = 4th
Ennis = 4th?
Namestnikov = 4th?

Who am I missing and who's value seems very wrong?
I think Pageau gets more especially if Krieder resign with rangers and is off market. Other centers are a wasteland in this trade market. It only takes one desperate gm to give up a 1.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I could see a team giving a 2nd and 3rd for Pageau ... mayyybe a 1st if a team thinks he’s the missing piece.

Sens might be better off hanging onto Duclair though. He’s still young and is it really worth it for a late 2nd or 3rd?
Duclair can just flat out fly. If cost on him was a late second only as a rfa I would do it.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Karlsson trade is a win now because San Jose SUCKS and the first was unprotected but at the time it looked to project as a late first and I would have considered the karlsson trade a missed opportunity

I just don't think much of Vlad as a player to think that was a win

Doesn't work like that. Sens get criticized for giving away an unexpected lottery pick but then don't get credit for getting an unexpected lottery pick?

We gotta get a more consistent narrative.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Pageau + Demelo
for
Carolina or leafs 1st (Condition on which ever is lower)

Which team would be upset with this one?

Those picks are currently #15 overall and #19 overall. I don't think there is any chance the Canes move a mid-1st for rentals. Adding Pageau + DeMelo to the Canes roster doesn't move the needle much. They would still have gaping holes at #1RHD, starting goalie, and #2C (IMO Pageau isn't a 2C on a contender).

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Doesn't work like that. Sens get criticized for giving away an unexpected lottery pick but then don't get credit for getting an unexpected lottery pick?

We gotta get a more consistent narrative.

Except at the time Ottawa gave away an protected pick when they were not expected to be good. San Jose gave away an unprotected pick just removed from a Stanley cup final appearance. In addition to the team was a WCF team after the karlsson addition, surely the expectation wasn't that the 1st being given in that trade would immediately plummet from being a final four team to possibly being a top 5 pick

Not quite the same

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Except at the time Ottawa gave away an protected pick when they were not expected to be good. San Jose gave away an unprotected pick just removed from a Stanley cup final appearance.

Not quite the same

What? San Jose gave away an unprotected pick after a finals appearance.

Ottawa gave away an unprotected pick after a conference final game 7 double overtime game.

Litterally a single goal separated what San Jose went through and what Ottawa went through.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Ottawa went to 7 games in the conference finals in 2017
I get that, but the season that Ottawa traded for Duchene, they were a very bad team on paper and Duchene was far from the missing piece. Ottawa notably over achieved that prior season. Wheels came off pretty fast after that labeled "Cinderella season"

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
What? San Jose gave away an unprotected pick after a finals appearance.

Ottawa gave away an unprotected pick after a conference final game 7 double overtime game.

Litterally a single goal separated what San Jose went through and what Ottawa went through.

Again, pretty widely noted that was a Cinderella season and on paper that team did not look like they would repeat that success, which of course they didn't and fell back down to earth pretty hard

San Jose has built their roster to compete and win now, every season. Melnyk dismantles his team every time his concession stand expenses get too high

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
JGP + 2nd for Islanders 1st.

Out of all teams in a playoff position, the islanders have the worst PK %.
Pageau excels on the PK.
Ottawa upgrades their 2nd to a 1st

Ottawa tried to resign Pageau in the offseason

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Well I think the Canucks could work with that. Our second, and which prospect appeals to Senators fan? Or even which position/outlook would be most appealing?

Secondly, would salary (expiring, of course) be acceptable as part of the return?

I'm not so sure the Canucks and Pageau are a great fit. JGP isn't passing Horvat and Pettersson on the depth chart, and would sort of lump into a 3rd line with Gaudette and Sutter who also play centre, unless that is what's intended. On top of that is Vancouver good with not having a 1st or 2nd this year?

The prospects are also a tough choice, mostly based on positional need for the Sens. Not much point in asking for someone like Kole Lind because he would be thrown into a group of other forwards ready to make the jump as early as next year. If a D prospect was involved, I assume Olli Juolevi is still valued high enough in Van that he wouldn't be a part of a rental trade. Outside of him guys like Teves, Sautner, Chatfield, and even Rafferty aren't that appealing imo.

As for salary, I think that can worked out in the summer. When Loui gets his signing bonus on July 1st, Ottawa would certainly be smart to look at trading for him.

Section ThirtyOne

Feb 19, 2009
Kitchener-Waterloo
To me, Pageau gets a first for his strong two-way play, penalty killing, better than average faceoff percentage and overall playoff intensity moreso than the 21 goals he's scored this season.

A perfect fit for a team looking for that unsung piece to put them over the top.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Again, pretty widely noted that was a Cinderella season and on paper that team did not look like they would repeat that success, which of course they didn't and fell back down to earth pretty hard

San Jose has built their roster to compete and win now, every season. Melnyk dismantles his team every time his concession stand expenses get too high

San Jose is really old and a decline could have been expected. The days of jombo Jo getting 100 points are long gone.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not so sure the Canucks and Pageau are a great fit. JGP isn't passing Horvat and Pettersson on the depth chart, and would sort of lump into a 3rd line with Gaudette and Sutter who also play centre, unless that is what's intended. On top of that is Vancouver good with not having a 1st or 2nd this year?

The prospects are also a tough choice, mostly based on positional need for the Sens. Not much point in asking for someone like Kole Lind because he would be thrown into a group of other forwards ready to make the jump as early as next year. If a D prospect was involved, I assume Olli Juolevi is still valued high enough in Van that he wouldn't be a part of a rental trade. Outside of him guys like Teves, Sautner, Chatfield, and even Rafferty aren't that appealing imo.

As for salary, I think that can worked out in the summer. When Loui gets his signing bonus on July 1st, Ottawa would certainly be smart to look at trading for him.

I can't comment on the team, but I feel we should go all in this year. A weak division and injuries to a lot of key rivals mean we could (could) push deep into the playoffs.

As for position, I think Gaudette being used as a top six winger, alongside Horvat or Pettersson, would be a sound move. Pageau would/could be set with Roussel and Virtanen, or Boeser and Gaudette or Sutter, and give some defensive accumen to a depth scoring line, or some offense to our shutdown line.

I'd be open to Juolevi, but he and a second round pick would be a big ask for Pageau. He's finally got a pro season that hasnt ended in December due to injury and is showing promise to...well not live up to his draft position, but to contribute. Would there be any other rentals or pieces that Ottawa fans like yourself would feel comfortable with including for Juolevi and our 2nd(presumably+)? Nothing huge, but cheap contract for an out of favour player, or something to fill our depth a little.

As for salary, I was thinking more of Schaller as a cap dump, or Stecher as a piece of the return. Simply to balance our cap. Schaller is on expiring contracts, and Stecher is an RFA, if the Sens are looking for a short term, cost controlled RHD. I wouldn't presume to rehash Eriksson to Ottawa in a rental thread.

Reactions: Pocket Dog

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
JGP + 2nd for Islanders 1st.

Out of all teams in a playoff position, the islanders have the worst PK %.
Pageau excels on the PK.
Ottawa upgrades their 2nd to a 1st

Ottawa tried to resign Pageau in the offseason
So Ottawa is trading pick 34 and Pageau as of today to get pick 27? Not remotely close. Pageau and 3 for 1, I can at least see the logic.

Reactions: Altimus

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
So Ottawa is trading pick 34 and Pageau as of today to get pick 27? Not remotely close. Pageau and 3 for 1, I can at least see the logic.

We also have the Columbus and Dallas 2nds. Whichever was worse I would include in the deal.

The 2nd would be jumping like 20 spots

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I can't comment on the team, but I feel we should go all in this year. A weak division and injuries to a lot of key rivals mean we could (could) push deep into the playoffs.

As for position, I think Gaudette being used as a top six winger, alongside Horvat or Pettersson, would be a sound move. Pageau would/could be set with Roussel and Virtanen, or Boeser and Gaudette or Sutter, and give some defensive accumen to a depth scoring line, or some offense to our shutdown line.

I'd be open to Juolevi, but he and a second round pick would be a big ask for Pageau. He's finally got a pro season that hasnt ended in December due to injury and is showing promise to...well not live up to his draft position, but to contribute. Would there be any other rentals or pieces that Ottawa fans like yourself would feel comfortable with including for Juolevi and our 2nd(presumably+)? Nothing huge, but cheap contract for an out of favour player, or something to fill our depth a little.

As for salary, I was thinking more of Schaller as a cap dump, or Stecher as a piece of the return. Simply to balance our cap. Schaller is on expiring contracts, and Stecher is an RFA, if the Sens are looking for a short term, cost controlled RHD. I wouldn't presume to rehash Eriksson to Ottawa in a rental thread.

I think one of Max Veronneau, Filip Chalpik, or Jonathan Davidsson fits that bill. Stecher would work, especially if Demelo is traded/not-resigned. Pageau + one of those guys for Juolevi + Stetcher + 2nd?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Than

Thank you for clarification. Still think you can do better but I see the logic behind the trade.
Maybe you could get a 2nd+3rd for Pageau, but upgrading an end of 2nd to end of 1st is probably better odds of hitting than a late 2nd and 3rd.
It's an interesting idea and it might be worth ot for Ottawa, since they have so many picks.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

RD616

May 4, 2010
Would Ottawa fans be willing to sell DeMelo to the Leafs for Bracco + 4th + 7th?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think one of Max Veronneau, Filip Chalpik, or Jonathan Davidsson fits that bill. Stecher would work, especially if Demelo is traded/not-resigned. Pageau + one of those guys for Juolevi + Stetcher + 2nd?

Of the three, I think Chalpik would be our guy. Adding Stecher for one of the three makes it feel a little more lopsided however. We still value Stecher, and I meant for his inclusion to be more added value. Of we substitute Schaller, adding him to Juolevi and the second, I'd be alright with that return.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Of the three, I think Chalpik would be our guy. Adding Stecher for one of the three makes it feel a little more lopsided however. We still value Stecher, and I meant for his inclusion to be more added value. Of we substitute Schaller, adding him to Juolevi and the second, I'd be alright with that return.

I'd be okay with that

Reactions: Cogburn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad