Dreger: There hasn't been as much interest in the Senators UFAs as thought

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Hard to do much better than a ppg + rookie in the ahl who's 3rd in the league in points even after losing his star winger (Batherson) and coming off major surgery the previous year. That's a top prospect and these days, can you ask for more for a ufa?

Again though, I'll concede that dorion doesnt usually win trades - or should avoid trading with sakic.
Fair enough

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Pageau = 2nd + meh prosect
DeMelo = 2nd
Hainsey = 4th
Ennis = 4th?
Namestnikov = 4th?

Who am I missing and who's value seems very wrong?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yeah you want to wait until scarcity drives prices up before making a move. Plus then you're not burdened by choice and can simply take what's left over.
Conversely you don't want to spend your cap and assets on off brand discount rack items when the high end goods are still available. 5/10 on your pithy sarcasm trying to make a point though.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Got Nilsson for a 6th rounder, Duclair & two 2nds for Dzingel, Karlsson trade was a win, Brassard trade was a win
The 2nd Brassard trade was a win for Ottawa. I certainly wouldn't call trading Zibby for Brassard a win. With that said Dorion hasn't done awful in situations where he's been forced to sell players. In fact as you point out he's actually probably won more of those trades than people realize. I also thought he did great in turning Lazar into Formenton.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'll give you the dzingel and Nilsson trades. Not sure I'd call the karlsson trade a win given what he could or should have gotten but let's see what the SJ pick ends up being

But that could be a home run, really by Wilson's own incompetence though to not protect it

The pick could not be protected because their 2019 pick was already traded and protected. The Senators weren't going to risk having to wait almost three years to get one of the main assets from the trade.

The pick is one of the reasons why San Jose made a good trade partner. Ottawa basically got a double unprotected pick because they would have received the 2019 pick had San Jose missed the playoffs last year. So they had two shots for San Jose to fall short whoever unlikely that seemed at the time of the trade.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wayyyy to early to say that. They got a lot of quantity but none of the players that have come back have really made a big impact yet. Their pick this year could end up really high or it could still end up outside the top 10. Karlsson is still playng at a high level

Like you said it’s way too early but if Josh Norris was in the middle of his rookie AHL season while being 4th in goals and points I think the reaction would be a lot different and you wouldn’t call him quantity. Fact remains that Norris, Balcers, DeMelo and the 1st round pick have done nothing but increase in value since the trade. All the early takes for that trade look worse than the trade ever did.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Like you said it’s way too early but if Josh Norris was in the middle of his rookie AHL season while being 4th in goals and points I think the reaction would be a lot different and you wouldn’t call him quantity. Fact remains that Norris, Balcers, DeMelo and the 1st round pick have done nothing but increase in value since the trade. All the early takes for that trade look worse than the trade ever did.

I dont disagree with your take either but thats a lot different than saying he won it by a mile lol. Norris has increased his value but like I said, still hasnt done anything in the NHL. They still traded a 2 time norris trophy winner who still isnt 30, and is still near the top of the league in points per game for d men since the trade. I get those guys are doing really well but you dont win a trade by a mile with a guy of that calibre when no one has made an NHL impact yet. Just my opinion.

The early takes were definitely bad though too

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Translation : There is interest, but not at a high price for a rental.

Its unfortunate because there have been plenty of average assets that have gotten some pretty sweet returns in the past..

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Don't tank too long Ottawa. Sign Pageau if all he's getting is a 2nd rd pick and he's will to stay. Take a nice pick this summer to go with the pieces you've already gotten and start building. Signed an Oilers fan.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Demelo and Pageau if not signed will attract interest closer to the deadline. I would think Namestikov / Hainsey/ Ennis would be depth pieces for a play-off run.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The pick could not be protected because their 2019 pick was already traded and protected. The Senators weren't going to risk having to wait almost three years to get one of the main assets from the trade.

The pick is one of the reasons why San Jose made a good trade partner. Ottawa basically got a double unprotected pick because they would have received the 2019 pick had San Jose missed the playoffs last year. So they had two shots for San Jose to fall short whoever unlikely that seemed at the time of the trade.
Wait, is that a rule that a team cant trade back to back unprotected firsts? I'm just not following the rationale for the 2019 first already being traded and unprotected

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I know he is a RFA....but would still be interested in Tierney if the price is right.

What happens with Tierney will depend on what happens with Pageau

If Pageau is willing to extend 4-5yrs and below 4.5m, I strongly suspect Tierney will be dealt by the draft

Reactions: Tripod

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Wait, is that a rule that a team cant trade back to back unprotected firsts? I'm just not following the rationale for the 2019 first already being traded and unprotected

No, but teams generally value picks less that are farther in the future. Relative to the strengths of the drafts, a pick that is for an upcoming draft is worth more than a pick for the same round in a draft that is one or two years away.

The point is, the Sharks did not have the leverage to protect a pick being traded in the 2018 off season all the way up to the 2021 draft. There is no way the Senators would wait that long.

If the Sharks had their 2019 pick, they could have traded that pick and protected it, and the Senators probably would have done it. They didn't have that pick though because they traded it to Buffalo for Evander Kane.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
While I think this is true of Pageau, DeMelo is going to get a lot of interest at that tier and they will get full value for a guy considered to slot in the No. 4-5 range. It's the guys teams hoped to get first rounders for who might not be moving this year, or moving for less than expected.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
FYI:

I dont think this changes anything, as I always expected Boro to re-sign, but this probably cements it.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Any interest from the sens in Bjugstad for Namestikov? Pretty equal cap hits but bjugs is signed for next year so Ottawa gains an extra year and a center to replace pageau.

I think a pick would need to be coming our way, especially since Bjugstads salary is a decent amount higher than his cap hit. Bjugstad would hold no value to us really and probably negative value, whereas Namestnikov is a warm body at least and a guy who can return an early-mid rounder at most.

I could entertain something around Anisimov and Bjugstad but I think Ottawa would need a + (which I suspect makes zero sense for the Pens)

What about Paul? RFA with some team control - isn't that what some teams are looking for?

Paul has been really good in his role, I think his value to us is greater than what he could return. I dont think we'd part with him for less than a 2nd and he's simply not worth that in a trade.

Reactions: Mike Jones

deeb

Feb 10, 2020
What a shocker granted that the rumored ask for Pageau is a first and he would be a third line player on pretty much any team looking to compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->