Dreger: There hasn't been as much interest in the Senators UFAs as thought

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If he's so valuable why was he waived in September?

Probably because Ottawa was fed up with trying to develop him into an NHL player. Miraculously, he had a strong start in the AHL and then was really, really effective in Ottawa before he got injured.

And I don't think he's 'so valuable', I just don't think they'd trade him for a mid round pick for a fringe prospect, nor do I think they'd be actively looking to trade him.

Reactions: Mike Jones

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Karlsson trade is a win now because San Jose SUCKS and the first was unprotected but at the time it looked to project as a late first and I would have considered the karlsson trade a missed opportunity

I just don't think much of Vlad as a player to think that was a win

TBH same could be said about the Duchene deal.

Looks like getting rid of Karlsson and Turris when he did was good.

Reactions: klabob

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hasn't Duclair and Pageau slowed down ?

Maybe people realize Duclair needs top minutes to be effective, but isn't that good and Pageau's offense is exaggerated this year, couple that with the likely asking price and boom.

However, I'm sure some team will feel desperate and come back and acquire at least one of those guys.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hasn't Duclair and Pageau slowed down ?

Maybe people realize Duclair needs top minutes to be effective, but isn't that good and Pageau's offense is exaggerated this year, couple that with the likely asking price and boom.

However, I'm sure some team will feel desperate and come back and acquire at least one of those guys.

I could see a team giving a 2nd and 3rd for Pageau ... mayyybe a 1st if a team thinks he’s the missing piece.

Sens might be better off hanging onto Duclair though. He’s still young and is it really worth it for a late 2nd or 3rd?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers could use both Duclair and Pageau, but as stated a hundred times on here by fans and demonstrated conclusively by Holland the Oilers aren't giving up a 1st for anyone this year.

Still, both players would help this team a lot.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Good player who should help any team: Pageau, Demelo
Decent depth who could helps some teams: Borowiecki, Ennis, Namestnikov, Hainsey
Waiver fodder/Probably no value: Anderson, Boedker, Sabourin, Goloubef, Swarz

I wouldn't be overly surprised if only the top-two guys are moved, given the limited value the others have.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
This reminds me of the 2015-16 Leafs. I took trade deadline day off (mistake) thinking that this dumpster fire of a team would be unloading for draft picks. I like following the trades sometimes better than the actual game being played so its of great interest to me.

PA Parenteau was on pace for 20 goals and was to be a UFA. Apparently the highest offer was like a 4th or something so they just kept him to use as a warm body for the tank marathon. I figured they would get a second for him, but then it hit me. He is on pace for 20 goals on a bottom feeding team. Any contending team is going to have 6 better players than him, it would only be insurance. Guess noone bought insurance.

• CAPITALS GET: F Daniel Winnik, 2016 5th round pick
  • MAPLE LEAFS GET: F Brooks Laich, D Connor Carrick, 2016 2nd round pick
  • SHARKS GET: G James Reimer, F Jeremy Morin
  • MAPLE LEAFS GET: G Alex Stalock, F Ben Smith, 2018 conditional 4th round pick
  • MAPLE LEAFS GET: F Raffi Torres, 2017 2nd round pick, 2018 2nd round pick,
  • SHARKS GET: D Roman Polak, F Nick Spaling
  • MAPLE LEAFS GET: F Colin Smith, 2016 4th round pick
  • AVALANCHE GET: F Shawn Matthias
And in the trade that both our fan bases remember so well, which also fits into the "how many of these pieces are still in any form of hockey whatsoever:
  • SENATORS GET: D Dion Phaneuf, F Matt Frattin, F Casey Bailey, F Ryan Rupert, D Cody Donaghey
  • MAPLE LEAFS GET: D Jared Cowen, F Milan Michalek, F Colin Greening, F Tobias Lindberg, 2017 2nd round pick

So TLDR of all this was the Leafs bottomed out and got Mathews, but didn't really get much for the disposable players leading up to the trade deadline. Lots of leveraging cap dumps into draft picks while throwing in scraps. I could see the same thing happening with the Sens, its kinda cool how the tables have turned for you guys in the last couple years, I think after this June's draft you will be looking very good as a team for a long time. I felt bad for Ottawa and its fans during all that drama, it sucks when your team is handcuffed into mediocrity.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Pageau + Demelo
for
Carolina or leafs 1st (Condition on which ever is lower)

Which team would be upset with this one?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Teams shouldn't be trying to aquire Pageau for his offense. He's had a career year in that regard, but is slowing down pretty quickly. He can definitlely fit in as a decent 2-way 2C, but his real value is as a shutdown centre. The offensive production is extra, but he's one of the best options in the league in terms of shutting down some of the best offensive players. Has a pretty solid track record in that regard. It's amplified in the playoffs.

He's a pretty good faceoff guy too.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Is there any interest in selling Tierney or another forward with Demelo for a legit package coming back?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Pageau + Demelo
for
Carolina or leafs 1st (Condition on which ever is lower)

Which team would be upset with this one?

I want toronto's first but would probably need a slight add. Just because I expect Toronto to be weaker next year and if we can get a san jose situation with torontos pick next year ...

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Is there any interest in selling Tierney or another forward with Demelo for a legit package coming back?

I assume so. Ottawa has a few prospects that appear to be near nhl ready -or are at least tearing up the AHL. So i would assume we could ship out forwards. Can always take bad forwards back if contracts are expiring anyways.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Wayyyy to early to say that. They got a lot of quantity but none of the players that have come back have really made a big impact yet. Their pick this year could end up really high or it could still end up outside the top 10. Karlsson is still playng at a high level

Karlsson the UFA that SJ signed on their own? Who cares what level he plays at he was a UFA and how he plays in the future has zero to do fact is that was a huge return for a rental.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Outside Pageau, what's the Senator's big selling point?

For UFA's Demelo is at least a steady #6 that could be had at 450K, Ennis 400k, hainsey a RD under 2 million but all would have to be 50% retention for that salary.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Apparently was a 1st+prospect (probably a B-prospect), but they may have to settle for just a late 1st or a 2nd + B prospect.

The hope from a Sens POV would be a team sweating bullets 10 minutes to the deadline throws out a 1st.

Realistically, a 2nd + prospect would be able to get it done.

Well I think the Canucks could work with that. Our second, and which prospect appeals to Senators fan? Or even which position/outlook would be most appealing?

Secondly, would salary (expiring, of course) be acceptable as part of the return?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad