Dreger: There hasn't been as much interest in the Senators UFAs as thought

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The Sens have a ton of young depth and a mittfull of early picks, at some point they should probably value keeping quality vets around over hoarding young talent.

The exception may have been selling high on Pageau if the chance was there, but if he's only going to fetch a couple B pieces, just sign him. Cap wise there should be no issues keeping him and Boro around and they are good fits for the team and community. Maybe even make Pageau your next captain to bridge to this younger group.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Outside Pageau, what's the Senator's big selling point?

They have some intriguing UFA's that could bolster lineups. I like Name and Boedker for teams wanting to beef up their 3rd lines, Hainsey, Boro, and DeMelo in that order would also be great options to beef up a blueline. The big issue with Name and Boedker I imagine is the cap hit, and how so many teams are feeling it.

Hainsey and Boro are probably the big ones for me. In fact, I see Boro being the easiest to trade and having more interest than Pageau merely because the price tag won't be as high and the cap hit isn't big. He's the one guy of the ones I've listed (maybe Hainsey) that I think the Sens should do whatever it takes to keep though. What he did last year made him the heart of the franchise. Absolute leader on and off the ice, and that org needs people like that.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Doesn't really mean much at this point. Other bigger dominoes gotta fall before secondary guys like they have are bought at the deadline.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah exactly. Although pageau is a big piece, the rest are quite secondary.
I would just think that people would hit up dorion for depth since he's forced into terrible positions to shed salary on command so he sells for peanuts.

Has dorion ever really won a trade?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah exactly. Although pageau is a big piece, the rest are quite secondary.

The way Pageau plays too I think hes a guy you want some younger players around. The Sens are kinda at the point where they need to keep their vets and try to build a winning team after this season. Add two high picks to the prospect pool this year to go with Chabot and Tkachuk and thats a solid young core.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I would just think that people would hit up dorion for depth since he's forced into terrible positions to shed salary on command so he sells for peanuts.

Got Nilsson for a 6th rounder, Duclair & two 2nds for Dzingel, Karlsson trade was a win, Brassard trade was a win

They have some intriguing UFA's that could bolster lineups. I like Name and Boedker for teams wanting to beef up their 3rd lines, Hainsey, Boro, and DeMelo in that order would also be great options to beef up a blueline. The big issue with Name and Boedker I imagine is the cap hit, and how so many teams are feeling it.

Hainsey and Boro are probably the big ones for me. In fact, I see Boro being the easiest to trade and having more interest than Pageau merely because the price tag won't be as high and the cap hit isn't big. He's the one guy of the ones I've listed (maybe Hainsey) that I think the Sens should do whatever it takes to keep though. What he did last year made him the heart of the franchise. Absolute leader on and off the ice, and that org needs people like that.

Boedker has barely played this year. Probably been healthied 40 times. He has zero value.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
There will plenty of interest in pageau and demelo. Namestikov, Ennis and Hainsey can be moved for low picks. Boedker is basically useless.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Got Nilsson for a 6th rounder, Duclair & two 2nds for Dzingel, Karlsson trade was a win, Brassard trade was a win

Boedker has barely played this year. Probably been healthied 40 times. He has zero value.
I'll give you the dzingel and Nilsson trades. Not sure I'd call the karlsson trade a win given what he could or should have gotten but let's see what the SJ pick ends up being

But that could be a home run, really by Wilson's own incompetence though to not protect it

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Any interest from the sens in Bjugstad for Namestikov? Pretty equal cap hits but bjugs is signed for next year so Ottawa gains an extra year and a center to replace pageau.

Reactions: hmc1987

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The way Pageau plays too I think hes a guy you want some younger players around. The Sens are kinda at the point where they need to keep their vets and try to build a winning team after this season. Add two high picks to the prospect pool this year to go with Chabot and Tkachuk and thats a solid young core.

Perhaps, yeah. If there's any of the ufas, besides boro, that Ottawa might want long term, it's certainly pageau. But then 3 1sts and our own 2nd is also very attractive

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Not often.

The karlsson trade comes to mind, namestikov, Ryan Dzingel for Duclair and 2 seconds.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Not often.

The karlsson trade comes to mind, namestikov, Ryan Dzingel for Duclair and 2 seconds.
Karlsson trade is a win now because San Jose SUCKS and the first was unprotected but at the time it looked to project as a late first and I would have considered the karlsson trade a missed opportunity

I just don't think much of Vlad as a player to think that was a win

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'll give you the dzingel and Nilsson trades. Not sure I'd call the karlsson trade a win given what he could or should have gotten but let's see what the SJ pick ends up being

But that could be a home run, really by Wilson's own incompetence though to not protect it

Whether or not it was by accident, the Sens came out on top of the Karlsson trade. Norris is killing it in his first pro year, demelo should fetch a piece soon, Tierney, unprotected 1st, 2nd, balcers.

Lots of goodies there.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Karlsson trade is a win now because San Jose SUCKS and the first was unprotected but at the time it looked to project as a late first and I would have considered the karlsson trade a missed opportunity

I just don't think much of Vlad as a player to think that was a win

Hard to do much better than a ppg + rookie in the ahl who's 3rd in the league in points even after losing his star winger (Batherson) and coming off major surgery the previous year. That's a top prospect and these days, can you ask for more for a ufa?

Again though, I'll concede that dorion doesnt usually win trades - or should avoid trading with sakic.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Doesn't really mean much at this point. Other bigger dominoes gotta fall before secondary guys like they have are bought at the deadline.
Yeah you want to wait until scarcity drives prices up before making a move. Plus then you're not burdened by choice and can simply take what's left over.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Perhaps, yeah. If there's any of the ufas, besides boro, that Ottawa might want long term, it's certainly pageau. But then 3 1sts and our own 2nd is also very attractive

Yeah what I said was on the assumption that Pageau wouldnt get a first because it doesnt sound like he will. I think for a second rounder hes worth re-sgning

Reactions: Sensators

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006

He won the Karlsson trade by a mile but cute petty comment.

Reactions: Channelcat

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He won the Karlsson trade by a mile but cute petty comment.

Wayyyy to early to say that. They got a lot of quantity but none of the players that have come back have really made a big impact yet. Their pick this year could end up really high or it could still end up outside the top 10. Karlsson is still playng at a high level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad