Dreger: There hasn't been as much interest in the Senators UFAs as thought

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I do agree with trying to re-sign him in the off season, however I just don't think Pageau's value is so low that we need to add a second pick just to get a late first round pick.

I mean if our scouts have done their homework and this draft has as much talent as they say, I don’t see why not get that 3rd first and get a guy we really want.

Walking into the draft with 3 firsts would be phenomenal Even if we lost the slightest bit on the Pageau trade.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Dumping on Ottawa/Dorion has become a fun thing to do. The following posts appear in almost every Ottawa - related thread...

1. Post that Duchene trade was awful, but ignore that Ottawa made the ECF the year prior, that Duchene was a PPG player in Ottawa, that they flipped him for a great return, and that it was a great move to sell high on Turris

2. Post that the Zibby/Brassard trade was awful, but ignore Brassard’s contribution to the playoff run, Zibby’s poor attitude/professionalism prior to the trade, and the fantastic trade return they got for Brassard

3. Post that Ottawa losing the 4OA pick was terrible management, and then go on to say that San Jose tanking is just bad luck

4. Post that Ottawa is the laughing stock of the league ... while ignoring that all of the best teams of the last 15 years were horrible in the years beforehand.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
JGP + 2nd for Islanders 1st.

Out of all teams in a playoff position, the islanders have the worst PK %.
Pageau excels on the PK.
Ottawa upgrades their 2nd to a 1st

Ottawa tried to resign Pageau in the offseason
What are you talking about? There are 4 teams currently in playoff position, and 4 more within 2 points, that have worse PK% than the Islanders. They are right at league average.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
JGP + 2nd for Islanders 1st.

Out of all teams in a playoff position, the islanders have the worst PK %.
Pageau excels on the PK.
Ottawa upgrades their 2nd to a 1st

Ottawa tried to resign Pageau in the offseason
Not giving up a first to rent Pags.

And as Chardo pointed out,your info on the isles PK is more wishful thinking then accurate

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
DeMelo is someone I hope the Pens are kicking the tires on.

Only problem is he's RHD and the Pens should have Letang/Schultz/Marino available by the playoffs. Then again, he'd be insurance against having to worry about Ruhwedel getting a regular shift if any of those three get hurt (again).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kinda surprised Pageau and Namestnikov allegedly aren't generating much interest. Both seem like the sort of reasonably priced middle-6 utility pieces that teams always love to add at the deadline. Maybe the asking prices are too high? Not willing enough to retain salary to make a deal fit?

The rest of the Sens deadline fodder...meh, i wouldn't be at all surprised to see limited interest and ultimately maybe a late round pick after teams strike out on other options on deadline day.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Kinda surprised Pageau and Namestnikov allegedly aren't generating much interest. Both seem like the sort of reasonably priced middle-6 utility pieces that teams always love to add at the deadline. Maybe the asking prices are too high? Not willing enough to retain salary to make a deal fit?

The rest of the Sens deadline fodder...meh, i wouldn't be at all surprised to see limited interest and ultimately maybe a late round pick after teams strike out on other options on deadline day.

Staples is reporting that the isles, with $10m in cap space, are willing to take on a TDL rental dump if they get a sweetener or if the player can help this yr's playoff push. So, the isles will not be one of those teams needing salary retained.
and their prospect pool is not deep enough to move their first for a 3rd line rental, who likely will be badly overpaid this July.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I would think Dzingel is probably have having a chilling effect on the appeal of Senators players.

The guys playing up in Senators line up (and piling up points there) will be slid down the line up of a more competitive team.

Everyone knows Pageau won't match his performance to date elsewhere. I'm sure the prices being offered match that reality.

No one wants to trade a depth guy to Ottawa and watch him pile up more points than the guy Ottawa sends back.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Dumping on Ottawa/Dorion has become a fun thing to do. The following posts appear in almost every Ottawa - related thread...

1. Post that Duchene trade was awful, but ignore that Ottawa made the ECF the year prior, that Duchene was a PPG player in Ottawa, that they flipped him for a great return, and that it was a great move to sell high on Turris

2. Post that the Zibby/Brassard trade was awful, but ignore Brassard’s contribution to the playoff run, Zibby’s poor attitude/professionalism prior to the trade, and the fantastic trade return they got for Brassard

3. Post that Ottawa losing the 4OA pick was terrible management, and then go on to say that San Jose tanking is just bad luck

4. Post that Ottawa is the laughing stock of the league ... while ignoring that all of the best teams of the last 15 years were horrible in the years beforehand.
I actually agree. I don't think their GM is bad. It's just a lot of his moves are related to cost savings because of their owner. His goal is to rebuild while saving money and he has done a pretty good job at that. It sucks that saving money is part of the goal but it is what it is. I also think he did the right thing by selling off his stars. He made the gamble with Duchense which backfired but also realized that the team was a bubble team and would probably remain that way for the next few years. Instead of wasting 5 years of being a bubble team he sold them off for assets instead. It's what a team like Calgary for example should do. Or what the Wild should have done.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

San Jose had been a playoff team for four straight years, and a 100 point team for two straight. Ottawa made the playoffs with terrible underlying numbers, a negative goal differential, and career seasons for Anderson and Condon. It's not really the same situation. It's not all bad luck for San Jose, people knew age would catch up with them eventually, but no one guessed it would happen this quickly and severely. Ottawa, on the other hand, had plenty of people calling out the red flags.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Kinda surprised Pageau and Namestnikov allegedly aren't generating much interest.

I don’t think Dreger was referring to Pageau or even DeMelo for that matter. There’s been numerous reports that there is a good amount of interest around those two. It’s guys like Namestnikov, Ennis, Boedker, Hainsey, Boro and so on. It was a pretty vague comment considering the amount of FAs they do have.

Reactions: biturbo19

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
San Jose had been a playoff team for four straight years, and a 100 point team for two straight. Ottawa made the playoffs with terrible underlying numbers, a negative goal differential, and career seasons for Anderson and Condon. It's not really the same situation. It's not all bad luck for San Jose, people knew age would catch up with them eventually, but no one guessed it would happen this quickly and severely. Ottawa, on the other hand, had plenty of people calling out the red flags.
Lots of people were actually calling the demise of San Jose with Marleau gone. Thornton looking slow Af in the playoffs and then no cap space of pavelski

Those three alone are huge huge change in culture and talent for the sharks

I personally think San Jose is better than what rhey are but I can see the argument the other way.

It's not like we are talking about a team like the Avs who have a ton of young talent

Ottawa also went to the conference finals right before that deal so your take doesn't make much sense imo

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I don’t think Dreger was referring to Pageau or even DeMelo for that matter. There’s been numerous reports that there is a good amount of interest around those two. It’s guys like Namestnikov, Ennis, Boedker, Hainsey, Boro and so on. It was a pretty vague comment considering the amount of FAs they do have.

Exactly, that's what lost here (maybe because of how the article quotes Dreger). That same night on Sens TSN broadcast Gord Miller and Noodles clarified the value of Pager (please don't call him Pags). Garrioch said the offers haven't been better than 2nd pick plus thus far, so PD is holding on for more value (or negotiating a new deal).

DeMelo too is sought after, it's the other 8 UFAs that Dreger's really referring to.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Karlsson trade is a win now because San Jose SUCKS and the first was unprotected but at the time it looked to project as a late first and I would have considered the karlsson trade a missed opportunity

I just don't think much of Vlad as a player to think that was a win

Karlsson trade was a massive return even then, not many trades fetch 5 pieces with upside especiallynnot for an NTC carrying player. Your expectations are probably skewed by a once in a lifetime Duchene trade.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Ottawa also went to the conference finals right before that deal so your take doesn't make much sense imo

There were tons of red flags suggesting it was an unsustainable run. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this was a huge topic of conversation at the time as well.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I mean if our scouts have done their homework and this draft has as much talent as they say, I don’t see why not get that 3rd first and get a guy we really want.

Walking into the draft with 3 firsts would be phenomenal Even if we lost the slightest bit on the Pageau trade.

Makes more sense to just get assets for Pageau straight up and make that move at the draft

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Ennis, Namestnikov, Hainsey, make sense closer to the wire when team miss out on some of the better names. Pageau obviously has interest. DeMelo I think will have suitors early. Boro as well, if healthy.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
There were tons of red flags suggesting it was an unsustainable run. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this was a huge topic of conversation at the time as well.
There are tons of red flags with San Jose too though

Their star power is old and 3 of them are already done. Burns doesn't look like burns anymore either

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
There are tons of red flags with San Jose too though

Their star power is old and 3 of them are already done. Burns doesn't look like burns anymore either

For the past three seasons the sharks have out-shot and out-chanced their opponents significantly at 5v5 while also having a strong power play. Their worst attribute by far was goaltending and they were still outscoring their opponents. They were clearly coming up on some decline given their age but there really wasn't much to suggest it would happen this quickly. Not even in the same universe as Ottawa in 2016-17.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. This would make more sense to me. Though again, i'd still think Namestnikov should be landing in that other category, as a player generating interest. He's a solid 10-15G, ~35pt guy who can play multiple positions, all situations, and slide up and down your lineup as needed. He's fine on a 3rd line, and he's shown he can actually mostly keep up or at least not get in the way if he's moved up the lineup and plays as a 3rd wheel with top talent. That's the kind of guy i'd want as useful depth with good versatility and utility for a playoff run. :dunno:

The rest though, really are just kinda fringe spare parts that someone might take a flyer on for a late pick at the 11th hour of the deadline after striking out on better options. Wouldn't even expect there to be much of any serious tire-kicking on those "Plan C" sort of pieces at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad