The Yandle hit on Pirri.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
6r8fou.gif

cropped_FerenceHit.gif

A little over 48 hours later, an identical hit on Kassian.

Andrew Ference received a 2 minute minor for an illegal check to the head. Ference could also face a possible suspension/fine.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
If that is Yandle's method of trying to injure someone, he really sucks at it, because it is pretty much completely unrecognizable from that video.

Like I said in the main board thread, isn't the fact that every neutral observer says it wasn't suspension-worthy indicative of something?

Some of you have such a ridiculous victim complex that it just becomes impossible to enjoy this board and the willful ignorance to the fact that every single team in the NHL deals with poor officiating is just astounding.

I explained it pretty clearly. You have to want to not see an intent to not see it.:shakehead

And let's be clear, I'm being pretty damned lenient with you - I encourage you to be far less insulting next time you enter a discussion.

EDIT: and apparently in wanting to accuse me and everyone on this board of a victim complex, you missed the fact that one of the examples I gave had nothing to do with the Panthers.

Rockaway Rob

Jun 30, 2007
6r8fou.gif

cropped_FerenceHit.gif

A little over 48 hours later, an identical hit on Kassian.

Andrew Ference received a 2 minute minor for an illegal check to the head. Ference could also face a possible suspension/fine.

Don't know if I would call that an identical hit. Ference clearly launches himself at Kassian. The fact that Ference's feet left the ice makes it worse (at least in appearance)

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Don't know if I would call that an identical hit. Ference clearly launches himself at Kassian. The fact that Ference's feet left the ice makes it worse (at least in appearance)

They are similar.

Yet ditinguashable for the reason you point out...the leaving of the feet.

Both hits are wrong...

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Both of their helmets flew off meaning the upper body/head took the impact of the hits. To me it looks like Ference had a bit of a different angle. He was clearly laying into Kassian. He's a bigger stronger target than an off balance shooting Pirri. It didn't take Yandle much to put Piri down.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
From what I see, initial point of contact was possibly the chest - but he clearly lowers his elbow before contact like he's cocking up for a shot then brings it up quickly under Pirri's chin as soon as he makes contact to snap the head back. It's flagrant.

But people will always argue that's clean - Darius Kaspairitis did the same to Eric Lindros something like 15 years ago, put him out for the season and hastened the end of his career. Lindros had his head down (as usual) and cancer-boy (as we like to call Darius back then due to the sound of his name :D) brought his elbow up into Lindros' head on the hit - but it was ruled a clean hit then, too. It's the bs way a clear attempt to injure can be ignored by the league. Don't know why they want good scoring players out of the game, but apparently they're ok with it because they ignore it so often.
I'm gonna tell him you said that!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It's astounding, StrangeVision, that you may watch this team as much as the rest of us and dismiss the complete imbalance of treatment. No doubt incompetence in officiating is league wide. That Wings Caps game for most recent example it levelled out just at a worse time for the Caps.
Us? I could be rich if i bet real money that we'd get a "skinny call"(Potvin) toward the end of a close game over the years.

We get astronomically ****ed harder and way more often than any other team. Maybe it's a coincidence, but the fact that I'm ALMOST positive it's not speaks volumes.

Nothing wrong with rooting for another team, me and AG just got our chance at the Stanley Cup unfairly taken from us by the likes of OHalloran and Kozari. As much as we thought the Rangers were unlucky with the refs, this team down here makes the Rangers look like Pittsburgh and Montreal in the ref category.

Last edited:

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
This is going to be my last post in this thread. I'm obviously outnumbered and have a very unpopular opinion and I don't need to rock the boat any more.

I was curious about the numbers, so I looked them up. This is how the Panthers ranked each year in penalty minutes/game since the 2005-06 lockout (1 being the least minutes, 30 the most):

2013-14: 12th
2012-13: 17th
2011-12: 8th
2010-11: 1st
2009-10: 14th
2008-09: 4th
2007-08: 7th
2006-07: 16th
2005-06: 14th

I can predict what the response to this will be, but I just wanted to spotlight the numbers.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
This is going to be my last post in this thread. I'm obviously outnumbered and have a very unpopular opinion and I don't need to rock the boat any more.

Sounds like someone has a ridiculous victim complex :sarcasm:

I was curious about the numbers, so I looked them up. This is how the Panthers ranked each year in penalty minutes/game since the 2005-06 lockout (1 being the least minutes, 30 the most):

2013-14: 12th
2012-13: 17th
2011-12: 8th
2010-11: 1st
2009-10: 14th
2008-09: 4th
2007-08: 7th
2006-07: 16th
2005-06: 14th

I can predict what the response to this will be, but I just wanted to spotlight the numbers.
Since you're talking the no-credible-enforcer era of the Panthers (we had a couple during this time, but either they wouldn't fight or no one would fight them) and thus the team had a rather notable shortage of fighting majors and 10 minute misconduct penalties in this period, if you'd break this down to just 2 minute minors, I wonder where the Panthers fall then? Or what the picture is if you just look at their penalties for vs. penalties against in their own games.

Basically, your statistics aren't an accurate portrayal of anything since there's other factors that give a much clearer picture whether the team gets short shrift or is just like any other team.

So was that the response you predicted?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I'd like to thank you for calling me out, Acadmus. :)

Here are the rankings for the Panthers' minor penalties (again, 1 is least, 30 is most). For good measure, I have also included the rank for major penalties in parentheses.:

2013-14: 9th (13th)
2012-13: 8th (15th)
2011-12: 3rd (10th)
2010-11: 3rd (5th)
2009-10: 6th (16th)
2008-09: 3rd (5th)
2007-08: 18th (10th)
2006-07: 24th (10th)
2005-06: 21st (4th)

And yeah, that was more or less the response I was expecting.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
So, I'm not sleeping and I'm bored. I decided to look at the the boxscores for last year.

I counted the number of times the Panthers were on the penalty kill in the last five minutes of the third period, the number of times the Panthers were on the powerplay in the last five minutes of the third period, and the number of times the Panthers had more penalties than the opposition.

PK in the last 5 of the 3rd: 14

A couple of those were technically a little over five minutes, but I counted them anyway.

PP in the last 5 of the 3rd: 18

There were some instances where a penalty was given with just over 5 left, I did not count those.

Number of times the Panthers were given more penalties than the opposition: 27

I didn't double check my count, so I could be off by a couple, but for the most part I believe that is correct.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I'd like to thank you for calling me out, Acadmus. :)

Here are the rankings for the Panthers' minor penalties (again, 1 is least, 30 is most). For good measure, I have also included the rank for major penalties in parentheses.:

2013-14: 9th (13th)
2012-13: 8th (15th)
2011-12: 3rd (10th)
2010-11: 3rd (5th)
2009-10: 6th (16th)
2008-09: 3rd (5th)
2007-08: 18th (10th)
2006-07: 24th (10th)
2005-06: 21st (4th)

And yeah, that was more or less the response I was expecting.

So now you've given a good, accurate argument (can't believe you were THAT bored though:laugh:) and people can shut up about it.

Still - the lack of penalties and league suspensions when players get injured, regardless of team, and the grudging acceptance of hits that can be shown (as the Yandle hit on Pirri or the case I mentioned of Kasparaitis on Lindros) to have a fairly clear intent to aggravate the hit and cause injury but the league deems "clean" is pretty disturbing and always has been. When they'll toss a Marty McSorley out of the league for a flagrant attempt to injure Donald Brashear, but won't do a thing about the players who clearly are trying to get away with it like sneaky children, it shows a lack of consistency or concern about the issue and only a desire to deal with the most flagrant cases to make it seem like the league gives a damn. Keeping up appearances while not giving any real care.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I'm very old school. I will disagree with our little family here on OUR board, but I would never trash us on the main board. They don't need our help.

That's just me.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I'm very old school. I will disagree with our little family here on OUR board, but I would never trash us on the main board. They don't need our help.

That's just me.

Nope, don't get how anyone would.

Elbow came up high, he was flapping it before the hit, the ice probably did the most damage. Don't like the hit, probably wouldn't care if it was Guds on Doan.

We've gotten crappy calls. That's not hard to see, I'm a Panther fan, so I'm going to gripe about it. Just like fans of every other team do. Well most fans do, anyway. :rolleyes:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I think the referees, the league and the majority of the hockey world have absolutely no respect for us. We need to play though the adversity and put together a few winning seasons to earn respect. The keyword is season. One year of success is a fluke unless it's followed up by a couple more seasons of success.

Again, I'm not surprised at the refs picking sides this season. It's going to happen, our guys need to stick together and focus on their game. We gotta climb our way out of the well once and for all.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The NHL was a bit handcuff, with the audio of the ref saying it was a ****ing good hit, going about and suspending Yandle would have just open a can of worms about that referee and his judgment.

Also, Yandle's hit is a lot more like Moore's hit than Ference's hit imo.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
The NHL was a bit handcuff, with the audio of the ref saying it was a ****ing good hit, going about and suspending Yandle would have just open a can of worms about that referee and his judgment.

Also, Yandle's hit is a lot more like Moore's hit than Ference's hit imo.

Something tells me the ref wouldn't say "it was a f***ing good hit" if a guy like Gudbranson checked someone the same way Yandle did Pirri. Imo, he would have Gudbranson outta the game in a split second. But, whatever. It's over and done with, but I bet this isn't going to be the last concussion for Pirri. Unfortunately, it's bound to happen again, head down or not.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
The more I study the .gif, the more I'd say Yandle's initial point of contact was Pirri's head. Based on the way Pirri's head snaps up, helmet goes flying, and then loses footing. Difference between his hit and the Ference hit is that Yandle and Pirri were on intersecting paths, whereas Ference took a clean run at Kassian. Either way, though, headshot on a player following the puck. Pirri had just dished it, Kassian still had it looks like.

Also, we haven't brought up the David Booth/Mike Richards hit here, or how the league handled that...

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Also, we haven't brought up the David Booth/Mike Richards hit here, or how the league handled that...

can someone educate me? I dont remember at all how the booth/richards situation went. Did richards get suspended?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
So, I'm not sleeping and I'm bored. I decided to look at the the boxscores for last year.

I counted the number of times the Panthers were on the penalty kill in the last five minutes of the third period, the number of times the Panthers were on the powerplay in the last five minutes of the third period, and the number of times the Panthers had more penalties than the opposition.

PK in the last 5 of the 3rd: 14

A couple of those were technically a little over five minutes, but I counted them anyway.

PP in the last 5 of the 3rd: 18

There were some instances where a penalty was given with just over 5 left, I did not count those.

Number of times the Panthers were given more penalties than the opposition: 27

I didn't double check my count, so I could be off by a couple, but for the most part I believe that is correct.
Scores of each game when calls were made, how many for each side was a BS call, how many were game deciding, and who had momentum each time?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Oy vey.

No. I'm not going to go through all those boxscores again. If the facts I've presented aren't enough, there's nothing left to discuss on my side.

Have fun collecting the data yourself.

kopecky82

Kopecky can into PK
Sep 21, 2013
Texas
can someone educate me? I dont remember at all how the booth/richards situation went. Did richards get suspended?

Richards knocked out Booth leading him to be taken off on a stretcher. Richards received a 5 minute misconduct, but no suspension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad